It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IRS Gets New Powers to Revoke Passports

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Link

Hidden in a new transportation bill is legislation giving the IRS the power to revoke your passport for unpaid taxes...

Those who owe $50,000 (including penaltieS & interest) in back taxes will have their info sent to the State Department by the IRSand that'll put a dent in those travel plans...

While I feel that it is our responsibility (for lack of a better word) to keep up with out taxes, this ever growing reach of the federal government is rather scary. They have no boundaries and they can essentially do whatever it is they want.

Welcome to 1984, Orwell style.

edit on 5-1-2016 by lovebeck because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 09:56 PM
link   
The 4th Reich in progress...

With both (already implemented options secured, either Democrat or Republican as the choice)...

Despite the folks willingness to discuss, barter compromise on our thoughts, we have ALL been herded into this new so called 21st century version of freedom

Regular folks ... from the left or right... take a pause... absorb what has happened to the US since 9/11...

Who has profited, who has amassed power, could it be the two who agreed that the BIG BANKS were ...

TOO BIG TO FAIL...

Who on the Democratic side can actually say "We are better for this"

Who on the Republican side can actually say "We are better for this"

Who on all sides can honestly say that our elected have served "WE THE PEOPLE"

We are losing the grand experiment.... unless we WAKE UP...

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Devil's Advocate .. if you owe anyone $50k why are you planning a vacation?

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 11:39 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Depends who do I owe 50k? If it's the mafia for example, why wouldn't I take a vacation? A really long one, somewhere very very remote.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 12:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
Devil's Advocate .. if you owe anyone $50k why are you planning a vacation?

Is travel outside the US always for vacation?

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 01:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

If you have the money to travel you should be paying on that debt, in most scenarios.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 01:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

In that case you would probably not want to be using a passport in your name anyways

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 01:30 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Very very true. I'll give you that one.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 02:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

If you have the money to travel you should be paying on that debt, in most scenarios.

Have you ever heard of an expense account?

It is money one can use for travel, lodging, and food expenditures. Not always food. That money is provided by the persons employer so the employee can perform the job they were hired to do.

If a person took money from their employer that was provided to perform their job and used it to pay off personal debt that would be stealing and depending on the amount it could be a felony. In 99% of such cases it should at least mean the person would lose their job and ability to repay any debts for a period of time.

I could have said some people's jobs entail traveling, but since you didn't pick up on where I was going with my question or answer it I figured I should explain things with a bit of detail for you.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 03:03 AM
link   

I believe my statement of "in most scenarios" covers that. It's not an automatic passport revocation, MOST people who owe anyone that much money should not be traveling abroad. There are exceptions.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 05:34 AM
link   
I seriously doubt that the big players who owe taxes will get grounded. It's always the little guy that ends up suffering from laws like this. You would need an O.J. style dream team of lawyers to circumvent such laws and that is something only the big boys will have access to. I will predict that this will eventually include travel between the states as well.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 05:35 AM
link   
just my " IMHO " , But :

the whinning about this sounds to me like :

i want the benefits of the state , but am not prepared to fund it

YMMV

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Will this include all the billionaires and CEO's from the huge corporative conglomerates who pay no taxes or find ways to hide their money from traveling?

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 06:30 AM
link   
We have that woman from the TV show "Little House on the Parie" she owes over $300k and she's running for Congress I believe.
[snipped]

edit on Wed Jan 6 2016 by DontTreadOnMe because: Reaffirming Our Desire For Productive Political Debate (REVISED)

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 07:15 AM
link   
There are quite a few politicians who owe that much (and MORE) in back taxes... will they lose their passports as well? Or only us common folk?

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 07:16 AM
link   
a reply to: charolais

You know the answer to that, we all do. Nice rhetoric question though.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 07:17 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 07:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove

Yes that question was 100% rhetorical

new topics

top topics

join