It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Am I the only one who hates Tarantino?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 09:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Timely
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Just for arguments sake, if you 'had' watched it and reservoir dogs was a 9.8 ...

What would your rating of H8 be - should you 'have' watched it ?

Probably around a 7 the acting is amazing so is the overall cinematography Sam Jackson is amazing but I felt that changing tateham was a bit of a weak link in the cast. The movie took a good hour to start and while the premise of 8 people locked up in a cabin with the mystery of who done it and is anyone who they say they are was entering at times it's all been done before. I felt this movies dialogue could have turned into something special where it not for the overuse of vulgarities there is one scene in particular with Sam Jackson that I felt too far.

This is really a hour and a half movie stretched out with indulgent dialogue.

It's by no means the worst film I have seen this year but it's also not going to make my top 10

edit on 6-1-2016 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Definitely not..

I equate his personality/*ss hole-ness to that of Steve Jobs. Ultimate Dick, but still successful "champions" of their industries

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I'm not a fan of the man himself, but I do love most of his movies. I say most because I saw Hateful 8 and thought it was boring, excessively long and the dialogue tried so hard to match the wit of the Christoph Waltz's character from Django but fell supremely short. It is, by a landslide, my least favorite of his movies.

On the other hand, Django was awesome. The story is amazingly original, the dialogue is spectacular and the acting is spot on with tip of the hat to Christoph Waltz for creating one of the most enjoyable characters to watch in any movie ever, IMO.

Inglorious Bastards, I can pretty much say the exact same about this movie as I did with Django, although Christoph is slightly less enjoyable being that his job is to find the Jews that have eluded the Nazis and then kill them.

Kill Bill 1/2, yes, excessively bloody, but great fun. The epitome of a revenge story with plenty of character development, of course it was two movies though, so there was plenty of time for that. The fighting was about as entertaining as it gets, regardless of the fact there was probably an Olympic sized pool of fake blood used in this movie.

Pulp Fiction... how can you not love Pulp Fiction. And Reservoir Dogs? Well that's just some good ol' lighthearted, sadistic fun.

The only other movie of his I have seen is True Romance, which he wrote but did not direct. It's the grittiest and one of the most enjoyable love stories I've ever watched.

You don't have to like the man, but I gotta say he makes some damn good movies.
edit on 1/6/2016 by scojak because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 01:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: WhiteHat
No, you're not the only one. Sometimes brilliant but always in a weird way. Most of the time just plain creepy.
'Nuff said. I am with you

He must have kissed and slobbered over the right Hollywood backsides to get where he is...his work, while obviously better than the offerings that could be made by a layman, are imo, pretty mediocre and frankly boring...i'm really not sure why this guy has had the levels of acclaim he has...

So no, add another 'You're not alone in your views' to the list.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 05:04 PM
link   

NO!

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Same as others have said, the man himself, I think is a bit of a # , but I have enjoyed most of his movies, even enjoyed the hateful eight, which I see has a lot of criticism on here. I personally thought it was a decent flick, a bit drawn out, but that's Tarantino for you.

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 03:09 PM
link   

I don't have much time for Tarantino either.

It started with Reservoir Dogs. Everyone was raving about it but all I saw was Kubrick's The Killing done by Sam Pekinpah on a really bad day.

Pulp Fiction was the same. It reminded me of any number of videos watched in a stoned haze in the 1980s done by Sam Pekinpah on middling bad day.

Thing is, for twenty years he's been surrounded by people telling him how wonderful he is and believes it himself.

I don't hate him, but I wouldn't cross the road to watch one of his movies if the ticket was free and he offered to wash my car afterwards.

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Tarantino is an idiot savant. He does have an uncanny talent for filmmaking, but he does appear to be an imbecile in every other respect.

I did like Django though. Very cool flick in all respects, other than the one guy outshooting 50 guys all within 10 feet of each other........that was lame.

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 06:51 PM
link   
The only thing I liked about Quentin Tarantino is Mira Sorvino and I can't even like that about him any more.

I couldn't watch Pulp Fiction because I'm a fan of the genre he was sending up and the movie just came across as lame and silly.

edit on 8-1-2016 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Pulp fiction is a good movie, I think its one of the best comedies out there. Inglorious bastards is kind of silly, just because they added blood does not make it less silly, and...Well that about all the movies I can think of that he made. I know he made some more, and I probably seen them, but they could not have been the caliber of pulp fiction so I don't remember them.

The hateful 8 sounds like it might be a good movie, I may look it up. As for what I think of the guy, ie Quinton Tarantino. The truth, I seen that vid of him slapping the camera man some years ago, and really. I dont think of him at all. Other then this thread never registered one way or another about him. Hey how knows, maybe one day he will make a movie as great as pulp fiction was, till then...Just dust in the wind.

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 09:23 PM
link   
a reply to: stevieray
What? There is actually a scene out there in a movie were one guy outshoots 50 guys from 10 feet? Now I know most movie actors who engage in shoot outs must have went throw some hard core storm trooper shooting etiquette 101 classes and training.

But that is beyond ridiculous. I am pretty sure that even the worst shoot in the world can hit somebody who is 10 feet from them. And if they did any training at all, well with a gun even against a moving target you should be able to pick and choose which eye you want the bullet to go through. Out of 50 guys, vs one guy that are some crazy odds that even if they all shoot with blindfolds one at least 10 would have hit there target from that range.

Now I got to watch this movie just to see that scene in all its ridiculous glory.

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 09:25 PM
link   

No.

Tarantino, and his 'films' are OVER RATED.

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Thanks for the review.

Sounds like Chatting Tantrum lost some of his "magic" lol.

I look forward to viewing ...

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 10:36 PM
link   
a reply to: galadofwarthethird

Have you tried wielding a real western Colt 45 ?

Those suckers are heavy as !!

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Can't stand the man or most of his films, personally I think people get pushed in to being a fan because he's trendy / quirky but in fact he's turning in to a one trick pony these days. By that I mean its all about the dirty language and violence mixed with odd ball characters.

Him personally, he's a legend in his own mind, watch a film like jaws, great acting, the filmography is is to die for, the main characters are superbly acted and once they are on the boat its timeless cinema where with Tarantino its bleep bleep you bleeping bleep blam blam blam, oh look a gimp man..

Sorry, not a fan....

As for the latest film being a Western?

From what I hear most of its played out in a snowed in cabin, hardly qualifies as a proper western, its any one of his films with people in western costume, sorry but there's some fantastic ACTUAL westerns been made over the years, lets not tip our hat just yet...
edit on 9-1-2016 by Mclaneinc because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 10:23 AM
link   

I hate to say it, but from personal observation, I think being a dick seems to be a commonality directors share. Lucas, James Cameron, Ridley Scott, etc, are all notorious dicks. I think its the whole God complex thing, and being in a position where people are either afraid to say no to you or they are gone if they do. That being said,they mostly do great work, except for Lucas with his prequels to Star Wars. OMG, when you look at Jar Jar Binks, you KNOW no one says no to that man.

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 10:49 AM
link   

I'm the same mate, his new movies suck.
He was good in the 90's and now he makes awful movies, is arrogant and deluded and I have no interest in him or his films.

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 07:41 PM
link   
a reply to: openminded2011

Actually Lucas is a very nice gentlemen

Tarantino I want to get excited about but he just rips of Chinese cinema and Spaghetti westerns. I liked pulp fiction but I could live with out any of his latest movies. The violence and n words seems like he is just trying waaay too hard.

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 09:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Timely

Have you tried wielding a real western Colt 45 ? Those suckers are heavy as !!

Heavy as what?

I actually tried looking up how much these guns weigh. I found a site that had variations of the .45 magnum. Heaviest it said on that site was one model which was 5.3 lbs the rest were around 4 lbs. I don't know while it may not be ideal weight for carrying around, its really not that heavy, or at least I don't think that weight would hamper me or most people when shooting it. It may not be ideal for fast twitch muscle reaction shooting because of the weight, and because I am pretty sure there are plenty of other guns out there which weigh less. But its far from impossible or all that hard to aim with, most especially from 10 feet away.

However I am not a gun person, so who knows.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 08:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: zazzafrazz
a reply to: openminded2011

Actually Lucas is a very nice gentlemen

Tarantino I want to get excited about but he just rips of Chinese cinema and Spaghetti westerns. I liked pulp fiction but I could live with out any of his latest movies. The violence and n words seems like he is just trying waaay too hard.

Re Lucas, I love his movies and I am sure he is a nice guy, just probably set in his ways. I agree that Tarantino has kind of bled the B rated cheesy Kitsch movie emulation to death. I did like Pulp Fiction and Inglourious basterds, but he is becoming kind of predictable in that you pretty much know what to expect when you watch one of his films.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join