It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is America ready for a non-Christian president?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Is America ready for a non-Christian president?

Sure, why not. Gay people can finally get married, maybe things are looking up?

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

From OP

But there is another barrier -- an important one in the eyes of the world -- that is almost certain not to be smashed. Barring an unprecedented political upheaval, the next president of the United States will be a Christian, just like virtually all of his (or her) predecessors. The only exceptions may have been Thomas Jefferson, who abandoned orthodox Christianity, and Abraham Lincoln, who often spoke of God and frequently quoted the Bible, but who never joined a church

Here is one reason why we can hardly discuss the relevance of a POTUS religion and if they were personally devout or not.

For one thing the person that wrote this apparently understands so little about the thing. Not being orthodox or never joining an official church does not preclude influence or prohibit one from claiming to be a christian. And so how can the author determine anything along these lines?

One thing is sure.....Muslims are first rate political creatures. At least it can be said that "christians" at our founding valued the freedom from an official state christian position supported by means found before the revolution and still afterwards in the old world. Keep that in mind as we peruse political realities in Muslim controlled countries or countries where Muslims bring force against secular governments or governments otherwise.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

originally posted by: windword
a reply to: FamCore

Sounds like Bernie Sanders is your man. Isn't he agnostic?

I am a Bernie fan for the fact that he has stuck by a lot of his same principles for decades, since being Mayor of Burlington and a Senator, and is anti-Big Bank/Corporate-Government Collusion, however I don't be any means agree with him on every issue.

I'm not sure of his religious beliefs - that does sound right though

Bernie Sanders is not playing with a full deck. He actually believes ISIS attacks non muslims because of global warming. Seriously, how can you come on a forum and proudly declare you support a goofball?

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 11:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
a reply to: dollukka

I don't recall Saudi Arabia Turkey of Pakistan ever being labelled The Land of Opportunity.

Please don't derail the thread.

I didn't see her post as derailing at all. In fact I think she made some good points.

As far as America supposedly being the land of opportunity, I think it has well lived up to it's name. America has given more than its share of opportunities to anyone that has the financial backing. America has sold out to the highest bidder, and those people can do almost anything they choose, while taking many of the opportunities away from the American people, and shipping them overseas.

While I have no problem with a President that is an Atheist, or an Agnostic, even a Humanist, in a country where there is supposed to be separation of church and state, the idea of a President that would see religious law as superior and higher, than the existing laws of the land, I would view that as extremely problematic.

It seems lately there is this recurring theme that America is supposed to be this open door country that has a neon sign, that says anyone should be allowed to enter, and since America is a land of immigrants, the immigrants have the right to rule according to their own rules and cultures.

I think many immigrants are confused. The "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free", was nothing more than a poem written as an ad campaign to collect money for the installing the structure.

This poem was written as a donation to an auction of art and literary works[3] conducted by the "Art Loan Fund Exhibition in Aid of the Bartholdi Pedestal Fund for the Statue of Liberty" to raise money for the pedestal's construction

I strongly believe that people should have the right to practice the religion and culture of choice, however, if that religion and culture goes against the laws and culture of the country you are hoping to call home, than you come not seeking to become a citizen of the country. You come to invade or overthrow the country you are seeking to enter.

IMHO

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Charlie,

Thomas Jefferson was a Deist. He believed but did not attach himself to a particular brand of religion.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 11:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

I dunno if this is Sander's year...
Maybe as a running mate to balance out the card.

Unfortunately, resigning yourself to be the VP instead of the President is a sure fire way to never be elected President. That is pretty much how it has worked out historically since the birth of the nation. Secretary of State USED to be the fast track lane to the Presidency, but that seemed to end with James Buchanan. Not to say these trends can't be broken, but that is just how things have worked out here in the States.

Wasn't George Bush VP to Reagan? Forgive me if that's incorrect, but I'm fairly sure he was.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 11:49 AM
link   
we;vealready had a satanic muslm president

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: uncommitted

I dunno if this is Sander's year...
Maybe as a running mate to balance out the card.

Unfortunately, resigning yourself to be the VP instead of the President is a sure fire way to never be elected President. That is pretty much how it has worked out historically since the birth of the nation. Secretary of State USED to be the fast track lane to the Presidency, but that seemed to end with James Buchanan. Not to say these trends can't be broken, but that is just how things have worked out here in the States.

Wasn't George Bush VP to Reagan? Forgive me if that's incorrect, but I'm fairly sure he was.

Yes, he was, and that was why I said the sentence about the trends being able to be broken.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: SecularOpinionz

Satanic muslim? How does that work exactly? Are you guys just inventing religious slurs out of thin air these days, not thinking about the meanings of the words you are saying or the phrases you are creating?
edit on 5-1-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 11:50 AM
link   

a reply to: Krazysh0t

For sure.

But I'm taking into account Bernie's age here...

This could be his final chance whether as P or running mate.

If he was 10-20 yrs younger I wouldn't even contemplate it.
Nor would he, I'm sure.

The thing is, Bernie is 5 years younger than Senator John McCain & Representative Ron Paul. I'm bringing that up because those guys are still in elected positions of power and are doing fine. And Hillary's only 6 years younger than Bernie, while Trump is only 5 years younger.

In other words, many of our established candidates are in the same age range. And they all have access to the best health care money can buy, so their age "issues" aren't nearly the same as the issues for normal citizens of the same age.

With that being said, I personally believe that every generation should be given the chance to lead. Otherwise we'll keep getting candidates who are stuck in the past.

edit on 5-1-2016 by enlightenedservant because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: dollukka
a reply to: UnBreakable

Scientology doesn´t really exclude other faiths. There are Christian Scientologists, Hindu Scientologists, Buddhist Scientologists and Muslim Scientologists and any religious beliefs are good to go with Scientologia. Scientologia is not really a religion it is institution which wants your money and want to do PROFIT tax free.

You are mistaken. Dianetics works with any religion, but once a Scientologist achieves the state of CLEAR, they enter into Scientology's spiritual values through OT (Operating Thetan) initiations (auditing), that are very much in conflict with Christianity, as it teaches that Jesus Christ is an "archetypal" mental implant, put in place by evil aliens to enslave the human race. Scientology's OT prime directive is in conflict with all religions and governments as it seeks to take over the entire planet, the solar system and the universe.

You also learn that L. R. Hubbard (claimed he) was Siddhārtha Gautama, Shakyamuni, The Buddha, who came back to earth to finish his teachings once and for all.

PS: Does anyone believe that Trump is Christian?

edit on 5-1-2016 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Satanic muslim? How does that work exactly?

Read: non-Christian.

I say we elect a Jedi, Rey Skywalker as President. Kill a couple of birds with one stone.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 11:54 AM
link   

PS: DOes anyone believe that Trump is Christian?

Only the gullible, once again proving Mr. Barnum's adage.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Enochstask

For the record, competition for resources has historically been the causeofmostwars. There is a correlation between scarcity of water and ethnic conflicts in North Africa. Sanders is subscribing to the theory that global warming has exacerbated competition for water throughout the Middle East, ramping up the violence. Correlation does not prove causality, but Sanders is not coming out of left field on this one.

Interesting how some people are already finding reasons why there must be something wrong with Sanders, rather than his policies.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 11:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

PS: DOes anyone believe that Trump is Christian?

Only the gullible, once again proving Mr. Barnum's adage.

+1 and 500 stars.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 12:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: DJW001
a reply to: Enochstask

For the record, competition for resources has historically been the causeofmostwars. There is a correlation between scarcity of water and ethnic conflicts in North Africa. Sanders is subscribing to the theory that global warming has exacerbated competition for water throughout the Middle East, ramping up the violence. Correlation does not prove causality, but Sanders is not coming out of left field on this one.

Interesting how some people are already finding reasons why there must be something wrong with Sanders, rather than his policies.

So basically you are buying Sanders load of crap? If there is such a dire need for water in that part of the world why wouldn't the Middle East countries petition the Unite Nations for water assistance? Commie Sanders is another Obama that wants to punish America.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Enochstask

Bernie Sanders is not playing with a full deck. He actually believes ISIS attacks non muslims because of global warming. Seriously, how can you come on a forum and proudly declare you support a goofball?

How can I come on a forum and proudly declare that I support a "goofball"? Well, I'm aware many people like to call him a crazy old man but I disagree, I think he's more down to earth than the other candidates. he's at least trying to take this country in a positive direction, OUT of the hands of big money to help empower and strengthen us hard-working citizens.

In context, his statements about ISIS and global warming included this:

“When people migrate into cities and they don’t have jobs, there’s going to be a lot more instability, a lot more unemployment, and people will be subject to the types of propaganda that al-Qaida and ISIS are using right now.

It's very easy to take some political "news story" headline and get a premise stuck in your head. But that's all they are.. headlines to catch people's attention. If you really look at the details it makes a lot more sense..
edit on 5-1-2016 by FamCore because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Just because someone is Christian doesn't mean they're a good person or would make for a caring president. Bernie Sanders is Agnostics and he's running on a platform to help the people, not the rich corporate elite. It isn't what you believe that counts, it's what you do to help your fellow man.

I and I'm sure many others have met some pretty nasty Christians in our lifetime who think they walk around with a halo over their heads, but would be the first to stab you in the back.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 12:34 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I say we go the other direction and own up to the fact that we, the USA, are the evil empire of our good planet Earth and elect a Sith Lord president. So, uhh, I guess Dick Cheney?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join