It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is America ready for a non-Christian president?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 10:05 AM
link   
edition.cnn.com...

An interesting read about US values and breaking barriers.

All but 2 or 3 barriers have been broken so far...

This piece highlights what they consider the hardest barrier of all.

In 2008, our nation broke through a barrier, electing an African-American to be president of the United States.

In 2016, another barrier may very well be broken. All polls indicate that a woman or a Latino has a very good chance of being elected to be our 45th president.

But there is another barrier -- an important one in the eyes of the world -- that is almost certain not to be smashed. Barring an unprecedented political upheaval, the next president of the United States will be a Christian, just like virtually all of his (or her) predecessors. The only exceptions may have been Thomas Jefferson, who abandoned orthodox Christianity, and Abraham Lincoln, who often spoke of God and frequently quoted the Bible, but who never joined a church.

3% of people are more likely to vote for a Muslim than an Atheist POTUS...

The demographics of the United States have changed dramatically, but religion remains the elephant in our room. In a poll taken three-and-a-half years ago, 40% of Americans said they would not vote for their party's presidential nominee if he were a Muslim. If the nominee were an atheist, 43% wouldn't vote for him.

You may wonder why it's relevant...

This final excerpt is probably the best reason to highlight such...

And if we do, can we then evolve to the point that the president's religion isn't an issue ... isn't even worth mentioning?

If the answer is yes, it will send a message to the rest of the world that we truly are the "shining city on a hill," where every parent can tell every child that we live in a country that breaks through every barrier, and that he or she truly can grow up to become president of the United States.

Bold mine...
& for sure... Something to ponder.
Interesting times.

I put this in 2016 Elections because this year could be the year you all feel the Bern.

And that would leap this "hurdle", as the author put it.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 10:10 AM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

I just want a non-Hillary, non-Trump, non-Bush President...

I could care less what religion they associate closest with, none of them seem too religious to me anyway!

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 10:12 AM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

Sounds like Bernie Sanders is your man. Isn't he agnostic?

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 10:14 AM
link   
We've already had the Jewish Dwight Eisenhower and the Muslim Barry Soetoro. Yeah, we're ready.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Yaaa, more fundamental transformation of America.

I'm growing very tired of this BS.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Lazarus Short

Eisenhower was a Protestant.

& Obama...

I'm not touching that.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 10:19 AM
link   
I've always felt that world leaders should treat their country and this world as the one and only reality. Having a religious mindset does not help anyone if you can just scape goat your choices or use your religion to console your actions.

The world is in dire need of someone who can put their personal beliefs down and get stuff done in the name of the human race and its immediate needs not religion.

43% wouldn't vote for a man/women who thinks this is the only shot? We should be making heaven on earth in life not expecting it to be handed to us on death.

edit on 5-1-2016 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 10:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: windword
a reply to: FamCore

Sounds like Bernie Sanders is your man. Isn't he agnostic?

I am a Bernie fan for the fact that he has stuck by a lot of his same principles for decades, since being Mayor of Burlington and a Senator, and is anti-Big Bank/Corporate-Government Collusion, however I don't be any means agree with him on every issue.

I'm not sure of his religious beliefs - that does sound right though

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 10:21 AM
link   

I remember Kennedy being Irish-Catholic was such a huge deal back in the day.

Wow, how the times have changed.

And yet.. it all stays the same

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 10:21 AM
link   
We need someone who worships the Great Old Ones in the White House, they could not be any more kooky than what we normally get.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

+5 more 
posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 10:23 AM
link   
It is interesting that you are so concerned about religious leaders in not so "religious" country but you tend to forget about christianity in whole which faith is mostly is "between you and God" . And how it is turned into a Muslim issue is actually more telling than the single fact that CNN has something going on.
CNN of course is tool like many other main media companies pushing TPTB agenda towards one World order and i wouldn´t believe in single poll they put through.

If we are taking this approach.. i would ask
" When is Turkey ready for non-muslim President"
" When is Saudi-Arabia ready for non-muslim "President "
"When Pakistan is ready for non-muslim President"

Every coin has two sides
edit on 5-1-2016 by dollukka because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 10:24 AM
link   
They are Christian in name only. But, the bible says, "you will know mine by their love".
Personally I see only war-mongering and greed.

+3 more 
posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I seriously doubt America has ever had a true Christian president. A lot of hypocrites hiding behind the name maybe, but a true Christian is the antithesis of a politician. NOTHING in politics is compatible with Christianity.....people forget that.
edit on 5-1-2016 by Maverick1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 10:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
a reply to: Lazarus Short

Eisenhower was a Protestant.

That's news to me - can you back that up?

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 10:26 AM
link   

I wouldn't care if a Presidrnt wasn't any religion at all.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 10:26 AM
link   

We've had a non-Christian president for the past eight years for all intents and purposes. He never goes to church and attended Jeremiah Wright's church in the campaign lead up to 2008 to portray himself as a Christian. The country was ready to elect a black president, but not if he wasn't Christian. That would've been too much. I'm not saying Obama is a Muslim, either. I just believe he practices no religion, including Christianity.

"Jeremiah Wright: I “Made It Comfortable” For Obama to Accept Christianity Without Having to Renounce Islam"
www.thegatewaypundit.com...

"Obama Doesn’t Attend Church So As Not to Distract Others, Says Advisor"
www.breitbart.com...

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 10:27 AM
link   

This is an absolute hoot!

I ask sincerely how many American Presidents have had Christian values when it comes to causing mayhem abroad to protect American interests?

(I would say the religious card playing among some of the most ambitious who want to rule a country is again - an absolute hoot).

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 10:28 AM
link   
a reply to: dollukka

I don't recall Saudi Arabia Turkey of Pakistan ever being labelled The Land of Opportunity.

Please don't derail the thread.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 10:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: UnBreakable

We've had a non-Christian president for the past eight years for all intents and purposes. He never goes to church and attended Jeremiah Wright's church in the campaign lead up to 2008 to portray himself as a Christian. The country was ready to elect a black president, but not if he wasn't Christian. That would've been too much. I'm not saying Obama is a Muslim, either. I just believe he practices no religion, including Christianity.

"Jeremiah Wright: I “Made It Comfortable” For Obama to Accept Christianity Without Having to Renounce Islam"
www.thegatewaypundit.com...

"Obama Doesn’t Attend Church So As Not to Distract Others, Says Advisor"
www.breitbart.com...

No. Obama is definitely a Christian. Speculation on this is an exercise in futility.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 10:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lazarus Short
We've already had the Jewish Dwight Eisenhower and the Muslim Barry Soetoro. Yeah, we're ready.

And some of these so called christian presidents....womanizers, B&E, fortune tellers....we haven't really had to many really devote religious anything much the last 100 years anyway.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join