It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anti-Government Extremist Groups Are A Uniquely American Problem

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

What the hell are you talking about? Marriage, a religious sacrament, has nothing to do with the government. Thanks to Obama's interference in the Christian faith we now live in a country where this can happen:

www.thechristianmail.com...

I will never understand the liberal mind. Somehow you think punishing Christians for exercising their faith is true to the first amendment? Wow. That's a seriously screwed up mindset.

We need two countries: One for the conservatives, and one for the liberals. If you don't respect our Constitution I can't acknowledge you as legitimate citizens anymore.
edit on 1/5/16 by peskyhumans because: (no reason given)

edit on 1/5/16 by peskyhumans because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Calling these folk extremists is a tad harsh. Paranoid? yes. Stubborn? yes. idealistic? yes. Extremists? No.

There are folk who hide in the backwaters, hoard guns and triple bolt their doors as they await for the inevitable civil war that they believe is coming. Those folk are not extremists.Then you have your Columbine cowardly types who are p!$$ed off because they believe that the government is out to get them, they are not extremists.

Extremist is just another buzz word-there are plenty of other words to describe these people.

And that pretty much looks like what we are seeing go down with the Bundy "patriots" round 2. It's pretty funny watching them rant and fume about the government about to come kick their door down guns blazing (they like to talk about Waco a lot); meanwhile it never happens and they end up sitting in the middle of nowhere in the cold for days on end while the government just plays a game of attrition with them. Idiots.

That's what I don't understand-some folk foolishly think they can hold off anything that is thrown at them.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 11:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: peskyhumans

What the hell are you talking about? Marriage, a religious sacrament, has nothing to do with the government. Thanks to Obama's interference in the Christian faith we now live in a country where this can happen:

Obama isn't the Supreme Court buddy... Have you heard of our three branches of government before? They are the Executive Branch (which is Obama and his cabinet), the Legislative Branch, and the Judicial Branch (which is the Supreme Court who made the decision about gay marriage).

Second, whether you like it or not marriage was already being conducted and in the hands of government.

I will never understand the liberal mind. Somehow you think punishing Christians for exercising their faith is true to the first amendment? Wow. That's a seriously screwed up mindset.

How are Christians being punished by letting gays get married exactly?

We need two countries: One for the conservatives, and one for the liberals. If you don't respect our Constitution I can't acknowledge you as legitimate citizens anymore.

I feel like you should be required to actually READ and even take a test on the Constitution before speaking about "respecting" it. Because you clearly are out of your league right now.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

I call them extremists/terrorists because they have acted on their suspicions, not because they have them.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

So there were no patriots before the constitution was ratified?

Better rethink your definition.

Just saying....

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: olbe66
So there were no patriots before the constitution was ratified?

Better rethink your definition.

Just saying....

Were are obviously talking contemporaneously, this should be obvious.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Damn brother, I was worried for a second he almost had us there. Whew

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 12:02 PM
link   

This mostly boils down to rhetoric.

I get NRA flyers in my mail telling me about the "army of legislators coming to take my guns away". Then you get polarized news outlets where people go to fulfill their confirmation bias.

Add to this the seeming tendency of Democrats to pass laws that are aimed at improving urban life at the cost of rural life.

But ill tell you this: ACA has just about gotten me into that "radical" group, too. The quickest way to make me insane with rage is to keep dipping into my pocket.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 12:04 PM
link   
All in good fun....

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

I call them extremists/terrorists because they have acted on their suspicions, not because they have them.

But what is an extremist? Irrational behavior can be extreme but it doesn't make a person an extremist. Like I said, it is a buzz word the media loves to use. However there could be a lack of a better description and irrationalists is the only word that I just made up that comes to mind.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Yes rhetoric is a good answer to this problem. I'd also chalk it up to people's inability to vet their claims or just unwillingness to do so. Everyone likes sitting in an echo chamber of agreement and things that disagree with their echo chamber are offensive or offending them. Such things give rise to the idiocy going on in Oregon.

PS: I agree, I'm not a fan of the ACA either. I wish they'd have just expanded medicare and been done with it. Would have been MUCH simpler and much cheaper.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 12:10 PM
link   

I'd say that extremism is the willingness to break the laws of the land to attempt to coerce the government into bowing to your demands.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 12:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
The quickest way to make me insane with rage is to keep dipping into my pocket.

Boom. You nailed it, stay out of my damn pocket (and my business).

Or maybe 'boom' is not the right exclamatory participle to use, it could get me tossed in with the extremists.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Does it make me an extremist that I think both parties suck and that the government is inefficient, inept and dangerous?

I was about to ask the same thing.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 12:16 PM
link   

FBI dumps SPLC There is also an article in the Washington Times and many blog type places but the Washington Times has a popup blocking the article so meh.

We will just gloss over the careers of Nancy Pelosi, Ted Kenedy, Diane Feinstein, Chuck Schulmer, Harry Reid, Mayor Bloomberg and various other "leaders" that I cannot vote for nor against yet have incredible power over me. Yep the mayor of NYC has been very vocal and influential about the "gun show loophole" here in Ohio. Especially with then Senator Clinton.

Article 2 Not seeing gun sale regulation legislative powers listed there nor ability to redefine property ownership...but you might see something I don't.

Oddly enough I support the idea of Arab Spring in the limitation of self-determination. Governments should be limited by boundaries and those that they govern...which includes the right to remove a government that does not operate within their interests. Unfortunately that removal sometimes requires it to be carried out by force of arms. So I sympathize with those in the Middle East that wish to be free from totalitarian governments. I don't think the US needs to be involved or instigating such rebellions.

As for joining such a militia here in the states...well I have been asked and considered various groups that are paramilitary organizations. The Ohio Highway Patrol was one of those groups. I decided to become a truck driver instead. But I have assisted the Oxford PD a few times in he past when I lived there. Such as keeping college kids away from a downed power line and looking for a suspected armed student uptown (yeah that one was dumb on my part as I wasn't armed but they needed extra eyes on foot).

But by being outspoken and not following liberal credo, I seem to fall in line with what SPLC targets nowadays. Back when they monitored the klan and other real hate groups and dangerous groups like Posse Commitus, sure they were a great organization. Not so much anymore it seems.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 12:51 PM
link   

I don't want to blame Fox...but Fox carries a big chunk of "blame".

Fox is not media. Fox is Conservative Media. They pander to a political mindset (while claiming to be balanced). Which, to be honest, is kind of a counterbalance to the rest of "media" that is only Liberal Media.

Which is pathetic, honestly. Because we don't have news...we have media. All "news" panders to a mindset, even if only subliminally choosing words that push a mindset.

Confirmation bias does the rest.

ETA: i forgot to add...the reason I blame Fox is because before Fox we didn't have extremist media. Certainly there was a large portion of the evening news viewers who didn't feel fully bought into what they saw....but before Fox there wasn't another viewpoint.

Now...take taht for what you will. But people found far more middle ground when the viewpoints were more narrowly aligned in the center/left of center.
edit on 1/5/2016 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

No, The FBI Hasn't Ditched The Southern Poverty Law Center

Also here is this link:
FBI Community Outreach Page

The SPLC is clearly listed under African American resources. As well as the Anti-Defamation League being listed under Jewish outreach resources. So you were wrong.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

I don't want to blame Fox...but Fox carries a big chunk of "blame".

I agree. Though I kind of think that Fox News is a bit tame compared to outlets such as the Blaze or Breitbart, and ESPECIALLY compared to the numerous conservative blogs out there.

Fox is not media. Fox is Conservative Media. They pander to a political mindset (while claiming to be balanced). Which, to be honest, is kind of a counterbalance to the rest of "media" that is only Liberal Media.

Yep. And to be honest, I have no problem with having a counter balanced point towards the Liberal Media. It keeps things fresh, but when you rely on blatantly lying or half-truths to tell your news, you have stopped being news.

Which is pathetic, honestly. Because we don't have news...we have media. All "news" panders to a mindset, even if only subliminally choosing words that push a mindset.

Confirmation bias does the rest.

I agree 100%.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 01:54 PM
link   

They were gone after a guy went into the FRC, shot a guard and headed towards the offices. His motivation and maps of the building were supplied by info from the SPLC website.

Seems they have since returned.

To add: It is a shame since you would think that partnership with an organization that maintains a bias would be detrimental to justice. And the ADL went after some ATS members a few years back. I'll have to look for that thread.
edit on 5-1-2016 by Ahabstar because: (no reason given)

Here is that ADL thread www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 5-1-2016 by Ahabstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

According to that first link I posted, they never abandoned the SPLC. They only moved the link to them to the resources page. This is the FBI's official statement on the matter (from my first source):

"Upon review, the Civil Rights program only provides links to resources within the federal government," an FBI spokesman told The Daily Caller. "While we appreciate the tremendous support we receive from a variety of organizations, we have elected not to identify those groups on the civil rights page."

edit on 5-1-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join