It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange Lights above canberra 03/01/16

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Didn't see this posted yet, it's fascinating and it doesn't seem CGI.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 06:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Mastronaut

It's the Aurora Borealis ...or whatever you might call it in Australia. The other light is definitely cgi.

edit on 5-1-2016 by Atsbhct because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 06:44 AM
link   

It appears to be ball-lightening to me. That's a good shot of the Aurora Australis over the escarpment though.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 06:44 AM
link   

I'm sure its probably just a natural phenomenon that someone here will explain away but still pretty cool looking none the less

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 06:47 AM
link   
It wasn't the Aurora Australis, that would not have been visible as there was no strong solar activity and the sky was covered in cloud due to it being during a thunderstorm. The Aurora happens in the high atmosphere so would be obscured by a storm.

This looks like ball lightning at it's finest. The apparent aurora would be caused by the interaction of charged particles within the storm-cloud.
edit on 5-1-2016 by ComplexCassandra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 07:07 AM
link   
The thing in the middle could be super rare ball lightning as mentioned above.
edit on 5-1-2016 by lucagt1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 09:05 AM
link   
if that is indeed ball lightning, its pretty trippy. Never seen anything like this before.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 10:35 AM
link   
It's not ball lightning, most of it is just background lightning, the ball of light is just a bit of mischief..notice it doesn't reflect on the water when all the other lightning does, even though not as bright.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 11:27 AM
link   
My uneducated guess:

It's a water droplet on the camera lens that catches a reflection of some kind. If it was as bright as it appears, then it would light up the landscape like the lightning flashes, which it doesn't. Which leads me to believe that it's something on the camera.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

Where do you see water?

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 11:53 AM
link   
not a ufo

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 12:33 PM
link   
It can't be the Aurora - not only is there cloud cover, but it's never visible as far north as Canberra. Possibly very rarely, but it would be pretty big news if it was.
The 'orb' is pretty novel, but maybe a bit movie-style pat.... though i managed to pause right during the flash and i've gotta say the lighting on the general scene looks pretty genuine, if this is a hoax it's definitely not just someone adding in an orb with an app or similar

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 08:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: abeverage

Where do you see water?

You are right, it's what looks like a white building, I thought it was the artificial lake there in the darkness, without making a single capture.
That means though that both the foreground and the background are being lit up by lightning?
In that case, perhaps the anomalous ball of light is an incoming meteor in the direct line of sight toward the camera. If so, that's interesting, as it might only be the camera picking up the fuzzy round corona behind the meteor, if that is the case.

I looked again and got this capture which makes me think a head on meteor,

Look at the file,
files.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 5-1-2016 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Has anybody seen BASIC stuff like date/time, and viewing azimuth?

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 01:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift
My uneducated guess:

It's a water droplet on the camera lens that catches a reflection of some kind. If it was as bright as it appears, then it would light up the landscape like the lightning flashes, which it doesn't. Which leads me to believe that it's something on the camera.

It does. Take a look at smurfy's screenshot just below your post - it lights up the landscape far more than the Lightning.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Listening to the audio, there are 2 small sound blips at the exact same time as the double flash.
Obviously, that cannot be sonic, and must be an electrical discharge being picked up in the audio receiver electronics.

Does not rule out meteor, since an exploding bolide high in the atmosphere can produce an electro-magnetic effect, but I think it is a phenomena of lightning, based totally upon the circumstance that there is an electrical storm going on.

Neat video.
edit on 6-1-2016 by charlyv because: spelling , where caught

edit on 6-1-2016 by charlyv because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 10:11 AM
link   
A larger capture, most of the faint aurora is wiped out by the flash in this one. I still think it is a meteor, or maybe space debris incoming. I don't think it's a missile though.

files.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 11:15 AM
link   

It certainly is something!

I do not think this is CGI however, it doesn't light up the surroundings like the lightening and is way diffuse.

I honestly think it captured a form of ball lighting or other storm phenomenon previously unseen or recorded...

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: BeefNoMeat
It does. Take a look at smurfy's screenshot just below your post - it lights up the landscape far more than the Lightning.

I stand corrected.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

I agree, it seems like a mixture of natural occurrence and hoaxery!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join