It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The reason the Hammond Ranch is under siege?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Malheur County targeted for gold, uranium mines
*ARTICLE IS FROM 2012*
Seems there is something under them there grounds, but not black gold

ONTARIO -- Sprawling Malheur County could soon be in the spotlight as a mining hub -- or a battleground of uranium and gold mining interests vs. environmentalists trying to protect its lonesome sagebrush landscape.
Australian-owned Oregon Energy LLC hopes to mine 18 million pounds of yellowcake uranium from the southeastern Oregon high desert 10 miles west of McDermitt near the Oregon-Nevada boundary.

Mining companies have passed up the county in the past because of Oregon's environmentally conscious reputation, Joyce said. But this time, the sluggish local and state economies, higher mineral prices and technological advances in mining and cleanup could open a door to mining, he said

They always say, follow the money, so I did.

Link I thought would be important to OP

What say you ATS?
Adding links to op;
Full Story About What’s Going on In Oregon – “Militia” Take Over Malheur National Wildlife Refuge In Protest to Hammond Family Persecution…
Oregon hit by gold, uranium and coal proposals
Oregon 2015-2017 mining plan .gov
edit on 5-1-2016 by Vector99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 02:32 AM
link   
There could well be that side to it. They played their hand wrong when they committed arson.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 02:34 AM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

when the government commits arson it's just ok?

+9 more 
posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 02:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23
There could well be that side to it. They played their hand wrong when they committed arson.

When people do this they call it a crime. When government do it they call it proportioned response or necessary military engagement.

As I said in another thread I wish these guys luck. There is a law for everything these days. You can't change your boxer shorts without committing an act of terror. They have covered their posteriors big time so people have no empowerment. I relish these rare acts of people bravery. Sometimes the law is simply an ass and statements must be made.

I wish that just this once the little guy gets a voice. This is becoming a token cause for me.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 02:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99

The short answer is "no." I do not want to see lives lost in this conflict.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 02:43 AM
link   

So what is your take on the topic of lots of mineable minerals under the land?

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 02:56 AM
link   
More to read

It's getting worse the more I dig.

More to read

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 03:10 AM
link   
Oregon Mining Plan 2015-2017

.gov doc putting here before reading so unbiased opinions can be gathered.

Paladin Energy

Marketwired link

+4 more 
posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 06:50 AM
link   

No, it's not, but there is no recourse when government burns spill over onto private land and destroy property. Of course, none of the burns in question did that here. And the witness who testified to poaching is questionable being estranged from the families with a history of mental illness.

However, the really egregious miscarriage of justice IMO is that the original plea deal constrained the ranchers from appealing, but the government turned around and appealed the sentence as not being severe enough while they were serving the first sentence and got a new court to impose a new sentence on them.

This is sort of like double jeopardy - being tried and punished twice for the same crime.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 10:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

No, it's not, but there is no recourse when government burns spill over onto private land and destroy property. Of course, none of the burns in question did that here. And the witness who testified to poaching is questionable being estranged from the families with a history of mental illness.

However, the really egregious miscarriage of justice IMO is that the original plea deal constrained the ranchers from appealing, but the government turned around and appealed the sentence as not being severe enough while they were serving the first sentence and got a new court to impose a new sentence on them.

This is sort of like double jeopardy - being tried and punished twice for the same crime.

It's nothing like double jeopardy, that (and in most countries it's actually outdated anyway) is based on being tried twice for the same crime when found not guilty the first time. That doesn't apply here. It's not the first time there has been an appeal that the length of a sentence did not match the severity of the crime, and the sentence has been extended - much the same as a sentence is often reduced upon appeal.
edit on 5-1-2016 by uncommitted because: typo

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Where and when did the government commit arson?

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 11:00 AM
link   
why don`t the ranchers lease the mineral rights on their property to mining companies? it seems like they could make more money doing that than raising cows.
If they still want to raise cows they could use the money they get from leasing the mineral rights to buy another ranch somewhere else.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Tardacus

Well, if they owned the mineral rights to their land, they do just that. Just because you may own a tract of land, does not mean you own the minerals. Not that the Hammonds issue had anything to do with their land. It had to do with the federally owned land surrounding the Hammond property.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 12:42 PM
link   
This is the problem in the whole situation,no room for people in the west.

modernsurvivalblog.com...

Check out the map,like I said,no room for people.I don`t expect the Indian reservations to last very long if they find something valuable on their lands.

edit on 5-1-2016 by Sunwolf because: add

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 03:31 PM
link   
What if these guys were Indians from a reservation? My guess is the left and their mass media would be singing a completely different tune. The only reason they're being attacked by these people is because they're white and rural, their most hated enemy.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 04:01 PM
link   
a reply to: TheBulk

If these guys were indians and the government wanted them out for the minerals, they'd be out or suffer another Wounded Knee.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Where and when did the government commit arson?

OOPS!

Forest Service apologizes for starting wildfire; prescribed burns banned

Investigators say a prescribed burn conducted by the Colorado State Forest Service last week re-ignited Monday, starting the deadly Lower North Fork Fire in Jefferson County.

An elderly couple died in the Lower North Fork Fire, and one woman was missing who lives in the fire zone. It destroyed at least 27 homes.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 05:12 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: PurpleDog UK

Yeah, that really helps.

This is what I hate about the current political climate. Everyone is quick to dismiss each other's arguments, and, instead, throw an insult or two. Messed up world we live in right now.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Although satirical, this article pokes fun because many outside America just don't understand the gun centric nature of the USA.....

PDUK

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join