It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NBA owner blames team's struggles on "millennial culture"

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 10:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: Serdgiam

You do know that statistical sampling says you are wrong right? Why don't you address my links on the first page instead of just pretending like you know better than everyone else?

Its probably best for us to agree to disagree in perpetuity, krazy.

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 10:49 AM
link   

If you say so, but if you refuse to look at information that ever contradicts you, how can you claim to be open minded?

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 11:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Serdgiam
The idea is to reform business models in order to appeal to what is thought to be "what millenials want."

I am not a millennial and I want better customer service and technology applied strategically. Dealing in the sales world the majority of my customers want these benefits as well and they are not even remotely all millennials.

Just out of curiosity, where do you think I am coming from on this topic?

No clue as you are not making much sense to me since you are over-generalizing.

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 11:13 AM
link   

If you say so, but if you refuse to look at information that ever contradicts you, how can you claim to be open minded?

Well, ill ask you the same thing as Augustus; where do you think I am coming from on this topic?

It seems there is a massive disconnect somewhere.

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Well, ill ask you the same thing as Augustus; where do you think I am coming from on this topic?

Why is that relevant? Can't we keep our personal lives outside of a discussion? I find that is a better way to stay unemotional and avoid using anecdotes to prove widespread points (which is a logical fallacy).

Heck, I can tell you that I am a millennial making $60K a year doing IT work. After high school I joined the Army and then used the GI Bill to pay for college after working in corporate America for 2 - 3 years. Would you consider me a lazy and entitled millennial? But no, I'm just one person right? My story isn't indicative of the whole, so why would you assume YOUR story is indicative of the whole. Because more people post their anecdotes agreeing with you?

It seems there is a massive disconnect somewhere.

Yes, I identify an unwillingness for people to look at the data to see if millennials really are as lazy as they like to claim. Instead they let the echo chamber keep throwing anecdotes into the mix so they don't actually have to challenge their worldview with actual data.
edit on 7-1-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 11:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
I am not a millennial and I want better customer service and technology applied strategically. Dealing in the sales world the majority of my customers want these benefits as well and they are not even remotely all millennials.

Completely agree. Though, I definitely feel that actual implementation is more relevant to success (or failure) than abstract goals.

No clue as you are not making much sense to me since you are over-generalizing.

They are not my generalizations. I am relaying the perspective of high level business owners such as the team owner in the OP. He complains about it, others are designing their businesses to pander to the perceived generational behavior, and I suspect that many of the things they think millenials want are misled and inaccurate. I could be wrong on that though.

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 11:32 AM
link   

....others are designing their businesses to pander to the perceived generational behavior...

Except the examples given; use of technology and customer service, are not desires solely of millennials, they are something almost all customers want.

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 11:50 AM
link   

i think the incredulity you face derives mostly from your tight lipped nature about something that seems to not be common knowledge to any of us being known to you.

Perhaps if you share, we can all be illuminated.

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

The example given was about complete removal of any and all face to face interaction. Unless you stopped reading my posts, you probably saw that.

I'd have to disagree that almost everyone wants a complete removal of personal interaction. Though, judging by the response, the people I am talking about may be spot on in their decision. I like options, personally, but that might be a fringe position nowadays.

It was one aspect of the reform, given to illustrate the general attitude that mirrors the team owner in the OP. I also dont agree with the concept of meeting every customers whims, however unreasonable. In my own life and business, it has proven prudent to draw a line somewhere. But, as I was told "spoiling millenials, and appealing to their inherent laziness will make them open their wallets more readily. They have no concept of the value of earning money, so it is simply about creating the right environment. Even if it is at the expense of a significantly increased employee turnover. We don't expect a hotel employee to honor a request like mowing a guests lawn, but we will fire them all the same to foster millennial loyalty and repeat business."

If you run a smaller business, and feel it is feasible to meet any and all customer requests, I'd actually be curious as to how you pull it off! I only see it as viable in large businesses that have a huge disconnect between local management/workers and the decision makers.

Whether or not it is seen as pandering isn't relevant to the intent. I suspect many of the plans will end up diluted a bit, out of necessity.

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 12:27 PM
link   

who told you that?

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 12:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

i think the incredulity you face derives mostly from your tight lipped nature about something that seems to not be common knowledge to any of us being known to you.

Perhaps if you share, we can all be illuminated.

Thank you for that clarification.

This all stems from a discussion with someone who is involved in the operation of a very large hotel chain.

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 02:08 PM
link   

The example given was about complete removal of any and all face to face interaction. Unless you stopped reading my posts, you probably saw that.

I'd have to disagree that almost everyone wants a complete removal of personal interaction. Though, judging by the response, the people I am talking about may be spot on in their decision. I like options, personally, but that might be a fringe position nowadays.

Again,, you are over-generalizing. In some cases it is superfluous, in others wholly necessary.

But, as I was told "spoiling millenials, and appealing to their inherent laziness will make them open their wallets more readily. They have no concept of the value of earning money, so it is simply about creating the right environment. Even if it is at the expense of a significantly increased employee turnover. We don't expect a hotel employee to honor a request like mowing a guests lawn, but we will fire them all the same to foster millennial loyalty and repeat business."

One questionable anecdote does not a trend make.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join