It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NBA owner blames team's struggles on "millennial culture"

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Owner Robert Sarver, while saying the blame for his Phoenix Suns' struggles extends throughout the organization, has linked their challenges more broadly to "millennial culture," with forward Markieff Morris serving as a prime example.

In an interview with The Arizona Republic, Sarver questioned whether Morris, 26, wasn't meeting expectations this season because of what the owner thought could be trouble that his generation has with handling problems.

"I'm not sure it's just the NBA," Sarver said, when reached by The Republic via phone, regarding personality clashing and dysfunction within locker rooms. "My whole view of the millennial culture is that they have a tough time dealing with setbacks, and Markieff Morris is the perfect example. He had a setback with his brother in the offseason, and he can't seem to recover from it."
Suns' Robert Sarver blames team's woes on Markieff Morris, culture

I believe the above is directly linked to what I tried to express in the following thread:

Generation Y Unashamedly Acting Like Teens Into Their 20s

Some posters in the thread above wanted to chalk up my observations about generation Y to a "generation gap." In that thread, I tried to explain my position as clearly as I could concerning why I feel this is not just a "generation gap" issue:

originally posted by: Profusion
This is more than a "generation gap" difference. This is a completely new type of consciousness that appeared suddenly and only in Western culture. There's no precedence for it in history. There's no precedence for it in any culture today outside of Western culture.

Frighteningly, we don't know how it's going to go in the future. If Katy Perry is promoting herself as being like a teenager into her late 20s/early 30s, where will it stop? Will she still be doing that in her 40s, 50s? It looks like we're going to reach that point some time in the future.

The reason I'm claiming that this is a completely new type of consciousness is because it's a reversal from every previous time in history and every culture today that isn't Western.

That's not the stuff of a "generation gap"...

It's exactly what the film "Idiocracy" predicted, happening right in front of us.

I think with stories such as the NBA owner's comments starting to surface, the impact of the "millennial culture" is beginning to become apparent. I feel that that impact could be catastrophic in generations to come.

Most people on this forum seem apathetic concerning the above. I don't understand that attitude when it comes to something so serious. I look at the "millennial culture" as a disease that could threaten the entirety of Western culture. Many here just look at me as another person who is growing older and complaining about a typical "generation gap."

We'll see who's right. It won't take long IMHO.
edit on 4-1-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Owner Robert Sarver, while saying the blame for his Phoenix Suns' struggles extends throughout the organization, has linked their challenges more broadly to "millennial culture," with forward Markieff Morris serving as a prime example.

In an interview with The Arizona Republic, Sarver questioned whether Morris, 26, wasn't meeting expectations this season because of what the owner thought could be trouble that his generation has with handling problems.

"I'm not sure it's just the NBA," Sarver said, when reached by The Republic via phone, regarding personality clashing and dysfunction within locker rooms. "My whole view of the millennial culture is that they have a tough time dealing with setbacks, and Markieff Morris is the perfect example. He had a setback with his brother in the offseason, and he can't seem to recover from it."
Suns' Robert Sarver blames team's woes on Markieff Morris, culture

I believe the above is directly linked to what I tried to express in the following thread:

Generation Y Unashamedly Acting Like Teens Into Their 20s

Some posters in the thread above wanted to chalk up my observations about generation Y to a "generation gap." In that thread, I tried to explain my position as clearly as I could concerning why I feel this is not just a "generation gap" issue:

This is more than a "generation gap" difference. This is a completely new type of consciousness that appeared suddenly and only in Western culture. There's no precedence for it in history. There's no precedence for it in any culture today outside of Western culture.

Frighteningly, we don't know how it's going to go in the future. If Katy Perry is promoting herself as being like a teenager into her late 20s/early 30s, where will it stop? Will she still be doing that in her 40s, 50s? It looks like we're going to reach that point some time in the future.

The reason I'm claiming that this is a completely new type of consciousness is because it's a reversal from every previous time in history and every culture today that isn't Western.

That's not the stuff of a "generation gap"...

It's exactly what the film "Idiocracy" predicted, happening right in front of us.

I think with stories such as the NBA owner's comments starting to surface, the impact of the "millennial culture" is beginning to become apparent. I feel that that impact could be catastrophic in generations to come.

Most people on this forum seem apathetic concerning the above. I don't understand that attitude when it comes to something so serious. I look at the "millennial culture" as a disease that could threaten the entirety of Western culture. Many here just look at me as another person who is growing older and complaining about a typical "generation gap."

We'll see who's right. It won't take long IMHO.

Maybe the league will take his team and sell it too.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 09:08 PM
link   
The school system from high school thru college has failed to prepare kids for life. Especially so for star athletes. They get pampered and don't realize it's not how the real world works.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 09:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

Imagine how compliant the nation will be with generations that have been raised to have "safe zones", trophies for participating, and having been brought up that feelings trump rights.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 09:20 PM
link   
It's the digital age. Old school media will have to catch up. Just look at the rate of kids with driver's licenses today to 30 years ago. No need. Got appliances. It's a different world.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 09:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Imagine how compliant the nation will be with generations that have been raised to have "safe zones", trophies for participating, and having been brought up that feelings trump rights.

LOL,

Job security for as long as I want to work.

They can keep participating... I lead, I perform, I win.

edit on 4-1-2016 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 10:24 PM
link   
While I do not necessarily disagree with your premise, using the words of an elitist who was born with a silver spoon in his mouth who then made even more millions based on his fathers money and name by buying and selling banks and and other high end speculative real estate to validate the nature of a whole generation of people is a bit sketchy.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 10:56 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Do more kids have their license today or less? What's the relation to the thread?

This intrigues me because my sister is going to be 19 and still does not have her license.

It boggles my mind. I am 31 and got my license asap. I couldn't wait for the freedom.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 11:15 AM
link   
My wife and I were just discussing this very topic last night and were wondering if we are just getting old. I don't think we are and think it is an honest observation on a large segment of millennials that I see at work. There is always a generational gap and you can see it in movies from American Graffiti, dazed and confused, Ferris Buelher etc. The premise in all these movies is that you have teenage years where you have little responsibility but you know that you will have to enter the real world and you will have to grow up someday. This generation acts like High School Musical goes on forever. The point the Suns owner is making is he has a player that makes $8 million a year but doesn't want to play but he wants to still get paid. That is the observation most of the other generations are seeing at work. The attitude that I will get a participation trophy and a promotion for just showing up. It's not all millennials but it is enough to make you wonder if they will be the same way in their 40s and beyond.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 02:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: TorqueyThePig

Do more kids have their license today or less? What's the relation to the thread?

This intrigues me because my sister is going to be 19 and still does not have her license.

It boggles my mind. I am 31 and got my license asap. I couldn't wait for the freedom.

A lot less today. They have digital media today. Getting out isn't important anymore.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I actually find this a fascinating topic, and I am relatively convinced that the current "generation gap" is distinct and unique (rather than explaining it away as the same thing every older generation claims).

I have been absolutely shocked to learn the age of some posters, on this forum and others. I would have bet money on them being teens, and it is usually about a decade off. It is highly disconcerting, but it is common enough to create an internal consistency in the applicable social group. A full disconnect from reality seems more and more common, and when enough individuals believe similarly, it creates the illusion of validity.

Sadly, this behavior is likely to get worse, as industries and society cater to the behavior. I have doubts that this is unintentional and benign, but this isn't really a place to discuss such things.

I do know that some big business sectors are investing large sums of money to redesign their businesses to eliminate personal interaction and encourage unrealistic service standards.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 02:31 PM
link   

In my community most kids under 18 drive without a license. Mostly because the local DMV is prohibitively difficult to deal with. The record I have heard is one parent took there kids 13 times to get a learners permit before giving up.

I drove for about 15 years without a license, but that was a protest about something else.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 03:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
The school system from high school thru college has failed to prepare kids for life. Especially so for star athletes. They get pampered and don't realize it's not how the real world works.

If anything, you would think athletes would be more prepared than others. Sports at least you have to battle through adversity because you *gasp* lose and stuff. Sometimes, you get benched, or at least you should for being a prima donna. Coaches like to win and it's their job, so they tend to get results more than coddle, unlike classroom teachers.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Another complain about young people thread... Instead of posting an anecdote from an idiotic NBA owner, post statistics. Oh wait, statistics say this:
The Numbers Behind Why Millennials Are 'Generation Frustration'

or this:
Study: Millennials' Work Ethic Is In The Eye Of The Beholder

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 03:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Oh wait, here's a thought. Maybe let members post their threads without condescension. Threads don't need that type of input.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 10:05 PM
link   

That's what I thought.

The next twenty years are going to be interesting.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 11:06 AM
link   
The next twenty years are going to be scary as hell.

I look at the "millennial culture" as a disease that could threaten the entirety of Western culture

Pretty much what it is.

A generation that is concerned only with themselves, who have lost all touch with face to face communication, and feel entitled to things others work for.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Oh forgive me for getting tired of always being told I'm a lazy, slacker by old people despite it not being true in the slightest. When you start off a thread by insulting a demographic of people, don't expect that demographic to be civil back. Or am I supposed to just sit there and take it from all the ignorant, old people who refuse to even understand my generation?

I mean this is an actual sentence from the OP:

I look at the "millennial culture" as a disease that could threaten the entirety of Western culture.

Yet you yell at me for being condescending. Psh. Hypocrite.

Also -I- posted statistics and evidence of what I was talking about. Why didn't you acknowledge them? Heck no one in the thread has acknowledged them. I'm sorry that my evidence doesn't agree with the narrative the OP is pushing, but thems the brakes. The "Millennials are slackers" # is just a lie perpetuated by anecdotes and little statistical sampling.
edit on 6-1-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I can only speak from personal experience but the two Millenials that report to me are doing very well in their roles. One is going to be salesperson of the year and the other will be joining him in President's Club. Sometimes all people need is support and good leadership.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 02:55 PM
link   
To be fair, my coworkers that fall into this demo group, are pretty on the ball too, actually.

But then, they are geeks, so you know....

My stepkids on the other hand....(and their friends, from all appearances) are more typical of the slacker variety. I can't take responsibility there, as they didn't come to me until they were grown (well, as grown as one can be at 18 or 20)....

new topics

<<   2  3 >>

join