It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Government urged to reveal its role in getting Saudi Arabia onto UN Human Rights Council

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 08:45 PM
link   
www.independent.co.uk...< br />

David Cameron has been urged to "come clean" over the role the UK Government played in voting Saudi Arabia on to the UN Human Rights Council in an alleged secret deal.

The Saudi Government executed 47 people on Saturday causing outrage across the Middle East and sparking renewed concerns over its human rights record.

In response, the leaders of the Liberal Democrat and Green parties have demanded a public inquiry into whether the UK was involved in a secret vote-trading deal in 2013 to secure both countries a place on an influential UN panel.

Diplomatic cables released by Wikileaks last year purported to show that UK initiated secret negotiations by asking Saudi Arabia for its support ahead of a ballot.

The exchanges have never been commented on by UK officials. Both Britain and Saudi Arabia were later named among the 47 member states of the UNHRC following the secret ballot.

UK and Saudi Arabia 'in secret deal' over human rights council place

The classified exchanges, the paper said, suggest that the UK initiated the secret negotiations by asking Saudi Arabia for its support. Both countries were eventually elected to the UNHRC, which has 47 member states.

“The ministry might find it an opportunity to exchange support with the United Kingdom, where the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia would support the candidacy of the United Kingdom to the membership of the council for the period 2014-2015 in exchange for the support of the United Kingdom to the candidacy of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.”

Another cable revealed that Saudi Arabia transferred $100,000 for “expenditures resulting from the campaign to nominate the Kingdom for membership of the human rights council for the period 2014-2016”. It was unclear where or how this money was spent.

Why is the UK reaching out to Saudi Arabia in support of getting on the council? Why are politicians bought so cheap? In any case, I support those politicians who are seeking answers about this since it's all been hush hush until now. Did SA getting on the council think that executing the cleric was the smart move? I guess they don't give a damn about what anyone thinks. Either way, the UK is gonna be pissed at them because now they to are in the hot seat!

edit on 4-1-2016 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 08:47 PM
link   
And to think he "understood" people's anger about Trump. LMAO

He doesn't have a moral bone in his body, just like all the other public school toffs who seem to hoover up all the money and power.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 08:49 PM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

I think they both understand greed. I can't think of why you'd let SA buy you off if not for greed, and power.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 08:55 PM
link   
A case of you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours. The problem with that? When the person scratching your back has blood on their hands you wind up bloody too.

Shame.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 08:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Swills

I think they both understand greed. I can't think of why you'd let SA buy you off if not for greed, and power.

Exactly, friends will have interests in arms deals and oil trades and whatnot.
It's disgusting and just highlights how broken our system is that they are never hauled before the courts.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Saudi Arabia and the UNHRC... We call this making the goat be the gardener.
This stank from the beginning and it is a damage to the UNHRC too.
And they even got the chairmenship while trying to bomb down Yemen.

A shame for the UN and thus for all member states.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 09:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Siddharta

I wanna respect the UN, I really do, but how can I? On paper, it sounds great but in practice it is exactly what it is.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Correct!

Saudi Arabia was omitted from UK's death penalty strategy 'to safeguard defence contracts'

Human rights groups and opposition politicians have expressed concern that ministers left the notoriously sensitive Saudi regime off the list to safeguard billions of pounds of defence contracts and security co-operation.

The Military Industrial Complex wins again! Death is their currency.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 09:24 PM
link   
They are best buddies, that's all that matters, they give us oil the UK government gives them London.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 04:33 AM
link   
So now its ok for foreign nations to meddle in the internal affairs of another nation? You guys need to make up your minds.

As for the UN its not a democracy. Until the charter is changed to restrict countries with horrible human rights records what else is there to do?

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 04:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra
So now its ok for foreign nations to meddle in the internal affairs of another nation? You guys need to make up your minds.

As for the UN its not a democracy. Until the charter is changed to restrict countries with horrible human rights records what else is there to do?

Rather than "meddling in internal affairs" How about just choosing our friends more carefully?
I don't want anything to do with such a regime, not that the government are interested in my opinion.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Sure.. Where do you get the items to replace Saudi Arabia?

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 04:44 AM
link   

Sure.. Where do you get the items to replace Saudi Arabia?

I know, that doesn't ean we have to put them forward for humanitarian champions or whatever, though. Hell, team up with the Yanks and take their oil, give the people a taste of a more benign form of dictatorship.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 04:51 AM
link   

Look I agree with your position. I am just saying international politics are a lot more complex than people realize.

Question / thought to consider:

Do you think more influence could be brought to bear on Saudi Arabia with them sitting on the Humans Right Council than if they weren't on it? By them being on it they either have to put up or shut up. To be honest though I find the anger over Saudi Arabia and UK odd when China tries to block the human rights council report on N. Korea or Russia trying to block a human rights report on E. Ukraine and Crimea.

When the same issues are ignored I must question the sudden interest in UK and Saudi Arabia?

As for US oil Congress is working to change the law to allow US oil to be exported.
edit on 5-1-2016 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 05:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

I suppose that's one way of looking at it, bt it's rather akin to putting a paedo in charge of child services and hoping he'll see the error of his ways.

If you think about it, it would probably be possible to build up a reserve and find alternative sources of oil to say, refuse to buy Saudi oil for a while. Kind of like going on strike. It'd be a case of who blinks first.

I also agree about the Chinese. It shows up the UN for the pointless talking shop it is.

It's the worst of both worlds, a combination of inaction and fake legitimacy.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 05:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Swills

Saudi is a huge investor because they know ultimately their oil will runout so our government will be trying to get its paws on some of that investment money. Now whether its actually done through the government or by private individuals getting on the gravy grain to Saudi is another matter - with you know who's liking to promote his wealthy friends for lucrative opportunities we may never get to the bottom of what deals were brokered.

Saudi is one of the most dangerous countries in the world with its velvet glove attempt, through religion, to implant wahabi mosques with Saudi imams throughout the world and especially in Europe to promote sharia into the west - which, it would ultimately run. Neat way to take over the world, especially when you can flood Europe with your minions or manipulated haters to promote your agenda there. One should be wondering why migrants aren't going to islamic Saudi and its ilk but are being directed here.

As for human rights Sharia doesn't do human rights all it does is viscous control and subjugation. Even criticising King Saud can get you crucified or stoned to death - who on earth ever promoted this lot - oh of course david did! Perhaps we should all be asking exactly what is his personal agenda because he clearly has one that is not for the benefit of the british people.

I am glad a few MP's are waking up to this podgy baby-faced monster and I can see why he is looking for an exit to get out of being PM before it comes crashing down and he is exposed for what he really represents.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Saudi Arabia is there for one purpose only, to keep the money-go-round MIC in business.
Just a look at the military hardware they have bought over the years from both the UK and US boggles the mind. I mean, it's not like they were embroiled in major conflicts and needed it all.
Then you look at the backhanders, sorry, I meant "consultancy fees" paid to well placed Saudi royals as middlemen and you get an idea of just how corrupt the whole lot are, both at home and abroad.

When I have brought up the issue of Tony Blair quashing the Serious Fraud Office investigation into the bribes and backhanders at BAE on their Saudi sales, there has always been someone trotting out the line that he did so to safeguard British jobs, like he was some sort of hero looking out for his people.
The fact that he broke the law by doing so, and allowed others to escape prosecution and continue the bribery and corruption speaks volumes about the extent of the criminal behaviour. Truth is, Blair and his ilk have never cared about safeguarding British jobs, but protecting the big money makers is their prime responsibility..... and making a few bucks along the way themselves of course! If Saudi Arabia as a state failed tomorrow, the despair in the MIC would be a sight to behold!

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 07:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Swills

David Cameron cant even come clean about all this austerity bull crap he preaches on about or the pedophile rings apparent regarding a significant number of MPs/VIPs past and present.

What chance do you really think there is of the swine disclosing his role regarding Saudi Arabia being admitted to the U.N Human Rights Council?

Keeping in mind that the Man in question has had his member in a dead pigs head.

edit on 5-1-2016 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 07:25 AM
link   

As for US oil Congress is working to change the law to allow US oil to be exported.

Personally, I'm enjoying our national oil glut, prices are where they should be, CHEAP, exporting will imho, make them go back up again, Compared to those in the oil business, I'm dirt poor and need every penny I have in an attempt to live comfortably.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 05:42 PM
link   
They didn't buy off politicians, the Queen of England owns Saudi Arabia. We installed their king and by proxy control over 2 billion people by controlling the focal point of their faith. In exchange for a life of opulence and projected power they buy what we want them to buy and sell us what we need at prices determined by us.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join