It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Converted one of my stable stalls to a Bunny Habitat

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Finally got around to it. Now, the bunnies have a lot more room, and a better quality of life.

From this one point of access, can feed and water all 3:

They have little burrows to hide in, and ramps for play:

They love their new home, so much room

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Awwww soooooo cute.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Are these pets, or Food and Fur?
If for fur...
Do you practice tanning, if so, what method, and can you give us a brief on how to do it?
if for food...
what recipes would these be good in, what precautions need to be taken to minimize/eliminate disease from food prep, and do you always need to add fat to the recipes as I had heard that rabbits are rather lean.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Gazrok

Looks nice!

And finally, a rabbit owner who actually has a brain, and isn't torturing the rabbits with little cages they can barely fit in.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Skada

Technically you don't need alot of fat in your general food consumption. Around 1g / kg of weight is more than enough.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 01:50 PM
link   
You know you could make a platform to either double their space to play or create another same size bunny habitat.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 01:50 PM
link   

That is fantastic! Lots of thought went into designing for their needs... I'm sure they love it.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Cool. And walk in and out for easy access for cleaning.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Why you block the two bunnies off? You can take down the block net and they have even more room.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Often, two male bunnies will fight each other (to the death). We separate the female to guard against undesired breeding.

For now, they are pets, but if the zombies come, it could all convert to food production easy enough.

You don't have to add fat to rabbit dishes, though many choose too. Fried like chicken, or in a stew, they cook just fine. We ate them often enough in Alaska. I do know my parents did use the skins too, nothing insulates like rabbit fur, though I'd have to learn the techniques myself (though I do have some pdfs and books that cover it).

But, for now, these guys (and the gal) are pets.

And finally, a rabbit owner who actually has a brain, and isn't torturing the rabbits with little cages they can barely fit in

Space was the main motivation. We wanted them to have a nicer quality of life than they had in the previous hutches. The unused stall made it a no-brainer.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Wow, good job! I'm sure they are quite pleased with their new home. They are soooo cute!!

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 07:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gazrok
Often, two male bunnies will fight each other (to the death). We separate the female to guard against undesired breeding.

For now, they are pets, but if the zombies come, it could all convert to food production easy enough.

You don't have to add fat to rabbit dishes, though many choose too. Fried like chicken, or in a stew, they cook just fine. We ate them often enough in Alaska. I do know my parents did use the skins too, nothing insulates like rabbit fur, though I'd have to learn the techniques myself (though I do have some pdfs and books that cover it).

But, for now, these guys (and the gal) are pets.

If they are truly pets then you better train them to not fight.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Nice job! I bet they LOVE it!

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Dang! You did a fantastic job there! Glad to see they have so much room. What's in the rest of the stalls? I want a whole barn tour now!

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Dang! You did a fantastic job there! Glad to see they have so much room. What's in the rest of the stalls? I want a whole barn tour now!

Horses.

We have one ourselves (a paint mare), but we board 4 other horses (paints and quarter horses) for others.

We also keep chickens (7 Rhode Island Reds). This pic was shortly after we built the coop:

and we added these little ingenious feeders:

We get about 6-9 eggs a day from them.

I plan to convert another stall into a guest room (for anyone who drives out here and wants to crash) with a queen bed, dresser, and wall AC unit. Since the kids came back to the nest, we kind of lost our spare room, and since we're an hour away from most friends, would be nice to have a good place for them to sleep vs. pulling out the inflatable mattresses.

It's pretty likely at some point, I'll convert another stall to house a big lizard (with tree branches, a small pond, and sunning rocks, etc.) if we end up getting one.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Oh, holding back on us huh? I want to see the horses and chickens! I'm a city girl and don't get to see them too often.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Here's a pic of the gals on the horses. From left to right, my wife, my daughter, and our ranch hand gal (daughter of my best friend). Kay-Tee, the horse on the left, is one we still have ourselves. The new horse we'll be getting looks almost identical to the one on the right.

More:

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 08:05 AM
link   
How cool! You are such a good 'bunny-dad".

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Awww, great pics! Thanks for sharing them!

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 08:00 AM
link   
You're welcome. The horse on the bottom pic was my wife's, but we sold him back to the original owner, as she was willing to pay 3 times what we paid her for him. Couldn't pass it up. He was a great horse though for riding (could put even small kids on him with no worries), but man he was a messy stall horse.

Sadly, we lost my horse last year (in the pic of the three girls, she was the horse on the right), but hopefully we'll be getting a similar looking horse later this month. My horse was beautiful, but she was a bit of a handful, and we never let non-family ride her (as she'd eventually try and throw any novice). We still have the horse on the left (in the same pic).

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join