It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A rather simple question about Genesis.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 05:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: nonspecific

But that's the thing, there is no defined standard to look at the bible and say "this is a metaphor" or "this should be taken literally". 100% of the Bible is open to individual interpretation of the reader. This is one of my biggest problems in regards to the book being used as a history book.

Looking at the old testament as a true history book is my new hobby.

I am having to add some pretty hardcore ATS theories to make it work though.

My current speculation is that god was a dinosaur. As you can imagine I have set myself a pretty big task.

I cannot see how even a dinosaur could manipulate the energies of a single star.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 05:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: BELIEVERpriest

Forgive my lack of understanding on this as it may seem like a very simple question.

When the bible says that God created Adam in his own image is it supposed to be interpreted literally?

Does it mean that he created him physically in his own image or does it imply that he created him with specific values and abilities, a moral code as it were?

We usually try to instil certain values in our own children so is which one is the generally accepted interpretation please?

When God created Adam, the word 'bara' was used, which means to make something from nothing. Adam's Soul was the only part of him made from nothing. His body was formed or shaped from the earth, and Eve's body was manufactured from Adam's rib (yatser and banah).

So Adam's soul was made in the image/format of God.

Well reasoned.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 05:29 PM
link   
God is a spiritual being. He created us as conscious spiritual beings with choice. It doesnt have to do with the physical body. The old Testament taught that a Messiah would come to earth that would be God in flesh, but that was after man was already created. The New Testament not only says the Messiah came, taught, and made the only acceptable sacrifice, but that the Messiah (Yeshua, Christ, Jesus) was in fact God Himself. In John, it states that "In the beginning was the Word ( Yeshua-Jesus), and the Word was with God, and the Word was God, and the Word was made flesh and tented (put on a tent of flesh and walked us. So he did not use a flesh body before that.
What I find interesting is the descriptions of many other types of beings God created before Man. They sound much like we describe as aliens. Some apparently had flesh type bodies and others did not. Some had DNA that was very similar to our own. One of Noahs sons may have been married to a woman who had some of their DNA mixed in. If so, some of us may also carry that bloodline, such as royal lines....

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 05:45 PM
link   
a reply to: visitedbythem

The old Testament taught that a Messiah would come to earth that would be God in flesh..........

Can you please cite that prophecy?

As far as I understand, there is no such prophecy of GOD himself coming as a mortal man, let alone to sacrifice himself to himself, or to Satan to pay some ransom, depending how you read the crucifixion story.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 05:55 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

Hes likely referring to Isaiah 9:6

Where have you been anyways?

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 06:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

Isaiah 9:5
5 For every boot of the booted warrior in the battle tumult, And cloak rolled in blood, will be for burning, fuel for the fire.

6 For a child will be born to us, a son will be given to us; And the government will rest on His shoulders; And His name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace.

7 There will be no end to the increase of His government or of peace, On the throne of David and over his kingdom, To establish it and to uphold it with justice and righteousness From then on and forevermore. The zeal of the LORD of hosts will accomplish this.

Yeah........doesn't seem like Jesus fulfilled that prophecy, seeing how there is no justice or peace on Earth, not now or ever. Wishful thinking.

I've been busy taking care of "crazies" here at home and their business, and the holidays, traveling and hosting family. I needed a break from the all craziness here.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 06:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

But that's the thing, there is no defined standard to look at the bible and say "this is a metaphor" or "this should be taken literally". 100% of the Bible is open to individual interpretation of the reader. This is one of my biggest problems in regards to the book being used as a history book.

My current speculation is that god was a dinosaur. As you can imagine I have set myself a pretty big task.

I cannot see how even a dinosaur could manipulate the energies of a single star.

How and why do you cone to this conclusion?

What does a star have to do with this?

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 06:15 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

as I stated in a recent thread... he wasn't ever called any of those names either...

Though there are quite a few "prophecies" he didn't fulfill

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 06:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

How and why do you cone to this conclusion?

What does a star have to do with this?

But surely God, having created everything, would have to be capable of standing in the presence of (and manipulate the energies of) the Big Bang?

The energy implicit in creation is so vast, even scientific notation makes it difficult to describe (powers, raised to powers, raised to powers & etc.). So I used the more understandable unit of the energy of a star, illustratively.

There are billions of galaxies containing billions of stars and each star = a dinosaur BBQ plasma!

edit on 4/1/2016 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 06:47 PM
link   
There are many
Prophecies About Jesus Old Testament
Scripture New Testament
Fulfillment
1 Messiah would be born of a woman. Genesis 3:15 Matthew 1:20
Galatians 4:4
2 Messiah would be born in Bethlehem. Micah 5:2 Matthew 2:1
Luke 2:4-6
3 Messiah would be born of a virgin. Isaiah 7:14 Matthew 1:22-23
Luke 1:26-31
4 Messiah would come from the line of Abraham. Genesis 12:3
Genesis 22:18 Matthew 1:1
Romans 9:5
5 Messiah would be a descendant of Isaac. Genesis 17:19
Genesis 21:12 Luke 3:34
6 Messiah would be a descendant of Jacob. Numbers 24:17 Matthew 1:2
7 Messiah would come from the tribe of Judah. Genesis 49:10 Luke 3:33
Hebrews 7:14
8 Messiah would be heir to King David's throne. 2 Samuel 7:12-13
Isaiah 9:7 Luke 1:32-33
Romans 1:3
9 Messiah's throne will be anointed and eternal. Psalm 45:6-7
Daniel 2:44 Luke 1:33
Hebrews 1:8-12
10 Messiah would be called Immanuel. Isaiah 7:14 Matthew 1:23
11 Messiah would spend a season in Egypt. Hosea 11:1 Matthew 2:14-15
12 A massacre of children would happen at Messiah's birthplace. Jeremiah 31:15 Matthew 2:16-18
13 A messenger would prepare the way for Messiah Isaiah 40:3-5 Luke 3:3-6
14 Messiah would be rejected by his own people. Psalm 69:8
Isaiah 53:3 John 1:11
John 7:5
15 Messiah would be a prophet. Deuteronomy 18:15 Acts 3:20-22
16 Messiah would be preceded by Elijah. Malachi 4:5-6 Matthew 11:13-14
17 Messiah would be declared the Son of God. Psalm 2:7 Matthew 3:16-17
18 Messiah would be called a Nazarene. Isaiah 11:1 Matthew 2:23
19 Messiah would bring light to Galilee. Isaiah 9:1-2 Matthew 4:13-16
20 Messiah would speak in parables. Psalm 78:2-4
Isaiah 6:9-10 Matthew 13:10-15, 34-35
21 Messiah would be sent to heal the brokenhearted. Isaiah 61:1-2 Luke 4:18-19
22 Messiah would be a priest after the order of Melchizedek. Psalm 110:4 Hebrews 5:5-6
23 Messiah would be called King. Psalm 2:6
Zechariah 9:9 Matthew 27:37
Mark 11:7-11
24 Messiah would be praised by little children. Psalm 8:2 Matthew 21:16
25 Messiah would be betrayed. Psalm 41:9
Zechariah 11:12-13 Luke 22:47-48
Matthew 26:14-16
26 Messiah's price money would be used to buy a potter's field. Zechariah 11:12-13 Matthew 27:9-10
27 Messiah would be falsely accused. Psalm 35:11 Mark 14:57-58
28 Messiah would be silent before his accusers. Isaiah 53:7 Mark 15:4-5
29 Messiah would be spat upon and struck. Isaiah 50:6 Matthew 26:67
30 Messiah would be hated without cause. Psalm 35:19
Psalm 69:4 John 15:24-25
31 Messiah would be crucified with criminals. Isaiah 53:12 Matthew 27:38
Mark 15:27-28
32 Messiah would be given vinegar to drink. Psalm 69:21 Matthew 27:34
John 19:28-30
33 Messiah's hands and feet would be pierced. Psalm 22:16
Zechariah 12:10 John 20:25-27
34 Messiah would be mocked and ridiculed. Psalm 22:7-8 Luke 23:35
35 Soldiers would gamble for Messiah's garments. Psalm 22:18 Luke 23:34
Matthew 27:35-36
36 Messiah's bones would not be broken. Exodus 12:46
Psalm 34:20 John 19:33-36
37 Messiah would be forsaken by God. Psalm 22:1 Matthew 27:46
38 Messiah would pray for his enemies. Psalm 109:4 Luke 23:34
39 Soldiers would pierce Messiah's side. Zechariah 12:10 John 19:34
40 Messiah would be buried with the rich. Isaiah 53:9 Matthew 27:57-60
41 Messiah would resurrect from the dead. Psalm 16:10
Psalm 49:15 Matthew 28:2-7
Acts 2:22-32
42 Messiah would ascend to heaven. Psalm 24:7-10 Mark 16:19
Luke 24:51
43 Messiah would be seated at God's right hand. Psalm 68:18
Psalm 110:1 Mark 16:19
Matthew 22:44
44 Messiah would be a sacrifice for sin. Isaiah 53:5-12 Romans 5:6-8

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 07:00 PM
link   
To understand what being created in God's image means, we must first figure out what God's image is.

Colossians 1
15 The Son is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation.

According to the bible, Jesus is the image of God. Who is Jesus?

John 8
12 When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."

So Jesus (the image of God) is an image of light that lights the world. So the image of God is that of light. Where is light? It is within what we see, we see an image of light that lights the world around us. Blind people do not see the image of light.

What we see right now is the image of God and when we look into a mirror we (man/Adam) are created within the image we see. Mankind is created in God's image, God's image is that of light, the light is within the image we see when we open our eyes. What we see is God's image and we are created within it.

It's really not as mysterious as the bible and church try to make it out to be. The bible is a book that tries to explain existence itself, so it goes to reason that what it's stories describe is what we experience right now, existence.
edit on 1/4/2016 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Actually the correct wording in that verse is " Let US create man in OUR image in OUR likeness. I have never meet anyone anywhere that could explain that word play to me in a fashion that I could wrap at least one brain cell around...never. Please don't come at me with the holy trinity route. IMHO if there was a god he would be more concise in his message....in other words he wouldn't talk in riddles for us to never understand.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 07:52 PM
link   

We were created in righteousness, with morals.

We have the ability to think and reason.

We have free will.

We are social and designed for fellowship.

We have a full range of emotions.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 08:05 PM
link   

First of all, any reference to the New Testament is not prophecy.

Secondly, not one of those verses, that you've cited, claim that the Messiah will be GOD (Yahweh or whatever) incarnate.

For all intents and purposes, the Hebrew people were looking for a man, not God incarnate, to come and rescue their nation.

edit on 4-1-2016 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 08:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword

First of all, any reference to the New Testament is not prophecy.

For each of those verses that were listed as Old Testament prophecy, he also posted the New Testament verse that confirms the fulfillment of that prophecy.

Here's what Jesus said...

Luke 24:44 "And he said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me."

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 08:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Deetermined

This is what the poster said:

The old Testament taught that a Messiah would come to earth that would be God in flesh..........

None of the scriptures cited as prophecy, from the Old Testament, make such a claim. Further, Jesus of Nazareth doesn't fulfill Isaiah's prophecies.

Please cite Old Testament prophecy that says that GOD himself (Yahweh, Jehovah, El Elyon....etc.) will incarnate as a mortal man, in order to solve Israel's problems, let alone a prophecy that says that GOD almighty himself will pay a ransom to himself, or to Satan, for the souls of mankind.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 08:53 PM
link   
God created man in his own image
God has free will he can choose

And that is the image he wanted for man
To have free will a choice

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 09:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword

This is what the poster said:

None of the scriptures cited as prophecy, from the Old Testament, make such a claim. Further, Jesus of Nazareth doesn't fulfill Isaiah's prophecies.

Please cite Old Testament prophecy that says that GOD himself (Yahweh, Jehovah, El Elyon....etc.) will incarnate as a mortal man, in order to solve Israel's problems, let alone a prophecy that says that GOD almighty himself will pay a ransom to himself, or to Satan, for the souls of mankind.

Read that last verse I gave you again. Jesus declares that he will fulfill everything that was written about him in the books of Moses and the prophets. There was plenty written about Him in the Old Testament, but obviously, the name "Jesus" isn't mentioned. So, what does it say about Him?....

Jeremiah 33:14-16

14 Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, that I will perform that good thing which I have promised unto the house of Israel and to the house of Judah.

15 In those days, and at that time, will I cause the Branch of righteousness to grow up unto David; and he shall execute judgment and righteousness in the land.

16 In those days shall Judah be saved, and Jerusalem shall dwell safely: and this is the name wherewith she shall be called, The Lord our righteousness.

Isaiah 33:22

22 For the Lord is our judge, the Lord is our lawgiver, the Lord is our king; he will save us.

Isaiah 9:6

6 For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

Isaiah 9:7

7 Of the greatness of his government and peace there will be no end. He will reign on David's throne and over his kingdom, establishing and upholding it with justice and righteousness from that time on and forever. The zeal of the LORD Almighty will accomplish this.

Micah 4:7

7 I will make the lame my remnant, those driven away a strong nation. The LORD will rule over them in Mount Zion from that day and forever.

While Israel has not seen peace on earth because they rejected Jesus as their Savior, the day is coming and it's called the Millennium period here on earth.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 10:07 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

Yet in Genesis, GOD walked through The Garden of Eden, and called out to Adam, asking why he and Eve were hiding from him. If GOD did not physically do this, why is it in Genesis, and why would any Church add it? Furthermore, GOD took away The Serpents legs, made to slither in and eat the dirt of the Earth...again, The Serpent walked, Adam & Eve walked, GOD walked.

I do not mean to act as if The Bible is all truth, or hasn't been altered, added to, or lost in translation. I do not claim it to be the only WORD or WAY. I am curious as to any thoughts why GOD was portrayed as human in The Garden, as the Father of the Human Adam and Eve, with GOD walking and talking like a Human...I said "like" a Human.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Again, none of those are prophecies that promise the incarnation of GOD Almighty, Yahweh, Jehovah, El Elyon etc., into the body a mortal man.

Futhermore, Jesus never "executed judgment and righteousness in the land..." nor has he "reigned on David's throne and over his kingdom, establishing and upholding it with justice and righteousness from that time on and forever".

While Israel has not seen peace on earth because they rejected Jesus as their Savior, the day is coming and it's called the Millennium period here on earth.

In other words, the prophecies haven't been fulfilled. Not by Jesus, and not by GOD Almighty either.

edit on 4-1-2016 by windword because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join