It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Erratic Memory

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 07:59 AM
link   
All my life I have struggled to remember certain things while tending to excel in other areas. When it comes to directions, where I parked the car and remembering song lyrics through hearing my memory is awful. When it comes to remembering birthdays, passwords/pins and significant life events (that are general in nature) my memory is decent. My short-term memory is disappointing, but my long-term memory can be good for remembering general details. I have a knack for remembering odd and unimportant things while sometimes overlooking important details. The best way I can describe my memory is erratic.

I have noticed that as I have aged, my tendency to "explore" schemas within my mind has diminished - I am not sure whether this is due to laziness or indifference. In fact, these days, I will often block or stop my mind from trying to trace back memories relating to the schema of which I originally triggered. I am not sure exactly why I do this, but it has become a habit. It's almost as if there is "no point" in exploring the schema.

I realise this might come across as a sort of "weird" thread, but I am truly curious if there are others out there with similar experiences.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 08:04 AM
link   
My long term memory is astounding....really get's people's backs up when I can remember conversations from 10 yrs ago! But short term is getting bad and its worrying. I've also noticed as I've aged (I'm 50ish now) I feel less emotion over things and can't visualise as I did and this too is a worry. Visualisation is part of my personal belief system and I find I struggle greatly now to envisage scenes as I used to and attach any kind of emotion to them....hey ho alzheimers here we go!

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 08:18 AM
link   
a reply to: PhyllidaDavenport

I can relate to your comments about less emotion and visualisation troubles, but I think I have more to worry about than you as I'm 29 and already experience these things.

I will add that I have been on medication for 10 years (anti-depressants and an adjunct) which I can only hope is not doing irreparable damage to my memory capabilities.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 08:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Dark Ghost

Ahh well I suppose it is quite possible. Maybe mention to your gp next time you see him/her? I know some anti depressants can leave you feeling as though you're thinking in a fog and nothing seems clear and sharp

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Dark Ghost

This is one of the reasons I quit taking antipsychotics. It actually shrinks part of your brain. Some antidepressants as well, but not all. Losing your memory at 29 is not good, but there are ways to combat depression which can cause memory loss.
I hope you get better dude

edit on 09/04/0094 by luciferslight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 10:22 AM
link   
My grandmother had Alzheimer, but the symptoms came on late in her life. I started taking vitamin e(I take mixed tocopherol's and tocotrienols) years ago for dry skin but recently read an article that it may help in Alzheimer.
Here is one article on that,
www.sciencedaily.com...
Another supplement I take for dry skin that also may help with many other things including Alzheimer or brain function in general, is essential fatty acid 3 with DHA and EPA. Here is one article on subject,
advances.nutrition.org...
My memory is pretty decent, but the other day I had a bought of insomnia and didn't sleep for 24 hours or so and kept writing the number 6 backwards, wondering why it didn't look right. I've also had moments of knowing who or what I'm speaking of, but forgetting the name, in particular a certain James Bond actor that even though he is my favorite one, I can't think of his name right this moment.
I do understand that doing things like Sudoku, can help exercise the brain too.
There must be other supplements that can nourish the brain too, the studies are out there if anyone who is like me, that just wants an ounce of prevention to any sort of decline.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 11:50 AM
link   
When I turned 50, a lady who I worked with says to me, " start getting in the habit of taking notes!" I was kind of bewildered by the remark because at the time I had no problems remembering appointments, phone numbers etc.... Until I hit 56, is when I began to notice my short term memory wasn't like it used to be.

I also had perfect 20/20 vision until I went for a check up around the age of 42. A nurse asks me if I useed reading glasses. I said heck no, never had the need for them! She than tells me the majority of people as they reach their mid 40's their vision changes. Sure enough 3 or 4 years later reading small print started to become difficult to read! It's really a pain when you've gone through the majority of your life without fumbling around with a pair of reading glasses!

Now I have to deal with the aches and pains of getting old. #@#*#!!!

edit on 4-1-2016 by WeRpeons because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I'd like to recommend lionsmane mushroom supplement. It's done wonders for my short term memory!

new topics

top topics

join