It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cool or interesting Raspberry Pi projects?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Anyone working on any cool or interesting Raspberry Pi projects?

Being a Telecom-UC engineer by trade I'm working on a DTMF decoder + SIP phone + something else.. =)

Thought this one was pretty cool..
It uses Pi and an RGB LED strip to create a real time audio spectrum analyzer .

edit on 3-1-2016 by opethPA because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 09:20 PM
link   
a reply to: opethPA

I found this gem yesterday. Probably going to build it, with a larger monitor, and flush into the bathroom wall. Very excited to have found a project for myself.

Mirror Mirror

A magic mirror is a raspberry pi powered monitor behind a double sided mirror. A mostly black web page allows you to add some widgets to the mirror’s reflection as if by magic. This version includes widgets for displaying the weather forecast, the date/time and a nice randomly generated greeting. No low level hardware hacking required, just some basic woodworking and some code I’ve already put together.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 10:08 PM
link   
a reply to: cmdrkeenkid
You ought to tweak it to turn someone's reflection into a skull. That's sure to freak some people out.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 10:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

That's genius. Only on Halloween though. Bunny ears on Easter, Santa hats on Christmas. An American flag waving in the background on the Fourth of July.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 11:28 PM
link   
a reply to: cmdrkeenkid
There you go! Now go forth and get rich!

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 11:31 PM
link   
I'm not building anything and don't really know what you're talking about but I'm interested.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 12:25 AM
link   

I am working on a version of this aquaponics project. www.instructables.com...

edit on 01am2016-01-04T00:28:31-06:0012281America/Chicago28131 by machineintelligence because: added source

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 04:05 AM
link   

haven't messed with raspberry pi yet but almost did during the height of the bitcoin mining.

Yes it has some uses and does some cool stuff. I wish i had the time and money sadly I do not.

on the topic of the mirror mirror make sure you don't use a smart tv lol nothing like having a camera and mic in the bathroom/bedroom connected to the internet. However with a smart tv you wont need the usb dongle to connect to the wifi

now having been an A/V tech for a bit the size of this is pretty big on the wall unless you inlay the wall its going to look like an over sized medicine cabinet. simply drilling holes in the wood my not be enough. I think small computer fans might work and if you do inlay the wall heat distribution is going to be a problem.

edit on 4-1-2016 by jobless1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Oh.. this isn't about food...
Uhmm don't mind me i was never here

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 06:57 AM
link   
I was thinking it was a misspelled word. Raspberry pie is good, so is Razzelberry pie.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 07:19 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Hmmmmmm pie

Ohmohmohm

We need Gordon Ramsay as a ats member

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 10:17 AM
link   
I bought one about 6 months ago. I built a retro gaming box (using emulators and ROMS). It was very simple and it works REALLY well, I was surprised.

JT

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Going to build one of my Pi's into a retro Marrantz Amp i have. Using Volumio as the client linked to my NAS drive and a Spare 7" tablet mounted on a table top cradle to control it. The Pi side is sorted just have to fix the Amp, right channel has a hum atm. Sound quality is pretty reasonable using the Pi's onboard DAC but its currently running through my Sony surround sound amp under the tv to add Internet radio for the moment as a test.

Eventually it will get a dedicated audio daughter board when on the Marrantz to play the FLAC files ive got.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 11:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: kountzero
Going to build one of my Pi's into a retro Marrantz Amp i have. Using Volumio as the client linked to my NAS drive and a Spare 7" tablet mounted on a table top cradle to control it. The Pi side is sorted just have to fix the Amp, right channel has a hum atm. Sound quality is pretty reasonable using the Pi's onboard DAC but its currently running through my Sony surround sound amp under the tv to add Internet radio for the moment as a test.

Eventually it will get a dedicated audio daughter board when on the Marrantz to play the FLAC files ive got.

That is a pretty cool application!

My original audiophile grade system was comprised of Marantz components including mono-block amps to drive each channel along with B&W Speakers.

My next Raspberry Pi project will be a Pi with a TFT screen used as a real time audio spectrum analyzer.

Anyway..would love to see how your end game works out.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: jobless1

Yeah, definitely planning on placing it flush into the wall. What's I figure I'll do is a 32" TV. Two reasons for this: A.) The height, or width when mounted vertically, is a tad under 16 inches. That should make it slightly easier to mount on the studs. B.) We have a 32" TV in the bedroom already, but we've been thinking about upgrading to something bigger. So this means I have an excuse to do that.

My goal will be to get it as close to the wall as possible, so I can avoid having the gnarly medicine cabinet box sticking out. I'll probably do a mirrored or black border around the Mirror Mirror, just to cover up any flaws that were already there or that I wind up creating in the drywall.

As far as cooling goes, I'm thinking that when the time comes this will be in the foyer. That way I can mount it from inside a closet, where if I don't seal up the drywall in the back it won't an issue so much. This will also allow me to access the board, tv, etc... for hardware and software updates without removing the entire panel.

Of course, I'm waiting for the this house to sell, so this project will all go into the next place. So I've got time to work out the details and on the potential cooling issues.

top topics

join