It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GOP lawmakers rule out hearings on Iraq war intelligence

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2003 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Now why in the hell would we want to NOT have public hearings on the information leading to the war???

Can we say "coverup"?

The top Republican lawmakers on defense and intelligence issues yesterday ruled out immediate public hearings on the intelligence that led to war in Iraq.
Some Democrats are attempting to exploit the failure so far to find Iraqi weapons of mass destruction, said Sen. Pat Roberts, Kansas Republican and chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee.
"While I believe some of the criticism leveled on the intelligence community has been understandable ... some of the attacks have been simply politics for political gain," Mr. Roberts said. "I will not allow the committee to be politicized or to be used as an unwitting tool for any political strategist. That is not good for the committee, and it's not good for our national security."

www.washtimes.com...

posted on Jun, 12 2003 @ 07:37 PM
link   
My understanding is that much of the worst faked intelligence came from Saddam-hating defectors with old or no information, who would have loved to provoke the US into an illegal war with Iraq to get rid of Hussein.

Of course when you have a situation such as USA Today with political interference in the legislature, any difficult information which ought to surface in the public interest will be quashed. "National security" and "classified" are easy labels to put on anything that is distasteful.

I am ready to give up on most Americans (must be the silent majority that I don't know) who don't vote, don't read and don't inform themselves on what is going on except through mainstream TV. What a weapon of mass destruction that is.

But I do get concerned for families who have lost sons/daughters/sisters/brothers/mothers/fathers in the so-called "War On Terror". Do they know, or care, about the quality of information used to 'desptach' their loved ones in the line of national duty?

new topics

join