It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Why do non-Christians come here?" Here's why -

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
a reply to: TheWhiteKnight

No NO! You are supposed to imagine a world
wherein everyone stares back at you, and asks why you aren't praying to Santa!

Because this straw man concept of God is precisely what the OP embraces. She is keeping you 'safe'.
No more growing pains for her, since God=Santa.
Or maybe it's science...? No matter. It's her call.

Wait...what?

Are you speaking for me?

I'm perfectly capable of making my own points...
And the article in the OP is pretty clear.

This thread (the OP) references an off-site answer to people who ask why non-believers feel compelled to respond to "believer" threads. I happen to think that the essay was worth posting here.

When I am presented with a trainwreck hit piece involving a person having used 'spice', and the chemicals are deliberately misrepresented as being 'cannabis', I run the other way, while secretly praying to God for the talking head's doom, down to their digits.

But that's just me. My God...it's complicated.

What do you do?
Do you carry on discussions as to how to best eliminate (keep us safe from) the cannabis plant? And spread the propaganda about?

Or do you take a deep breath, and realize that we have a problem, a television and media problem, which needs our attention, and yesterday.

I'm fairly watchful about what they
attempt to erroneously conflate, to serve their piggish cultural marxist & technofascist ends.

I am glad you thought that the Santa article was relevant.
That it reflects what is the essence of 'Christianity', in some way, and spread it about.

How are you this evening?

# 570

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 07:00 PM
link   
a reply to: malevolent Thank you, even as I am a Christian, I don't get into it with the door to door people either and peacefully tell them I am not into their denominations. I find it is important to just have respect for others that believe whatever they believe and move on, not getting bothered by it. I even pay attention to others beliefs as it can sometimes just be interesting and also steeped in the worlds history, like Hinduism or Buddhism.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 07:01 PM
link   
a reply to: spirit_horse

Thank you for your well thought out (it appears) and eloquent response!

I don't know what your denomination was, but maybe you feel more strongly about it

My parents, and the way I was raised was Baptist...the Pennsylvania sect...

And like the OP comparing Santa to God is typical of their comments most of the time

I guess how I see that could be seen from others as disrespectful...but, they feel that "God" is a fantastical mythological creation like Santa.

Either you have faith, experience dying and being brought back, or you don't

My BIL and I used to argue (debate) faith often...I WISH I believed in something that strongly...I wish I understood faith better...Why?
I'm really not sure...

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I have participated in religious threads in the past as a non believer. The article has a point, but my disagreement with religion is that causes lots of death all over the world. It's been going on since recorded history. Then stack that on top of the fact that we have no proof of its existence and it just seems disturbingly absurd. But, based on my experience on this site. Most religious people are some of the most closed minded and judgemental people I have encountered. Which is why I no longer participate. Just my 2 cents.
edit on 3-1-2016 by amicktd because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

too true the Inquisition and Salem are are a good reference to how violence comes into it all

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

This agnostic maintains that a disbelief in a supreme being is also a faith because it's unknowable but damn, they get as bent as telling a theist that a god doesn't exist.

We've had this discussion before. The best we can do is agree to disagree. But yes, some get truly bent out of shape. No need to. I would concede there could be an entity that most humans would refer to as god/deity. But I will never refer to it as god or deity, because I see those words as strictly human concepts. That entity is simply that. An entity.

Atheists didn't exist before Christ?

Believe it or not. Some people will argue that point with you. I'm not one of them.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 07:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: dimburg
What??
Santa ain't real?? Naah

I know. Right? She could have warned us the thread contained spoilers.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 07:10 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

Yes, of course I'm willing to take part in an argument about whether my interpretation of the text is accurate.

I said interpolation, not interpretation.

If one of my threads is looking at the meaning of a particular passage in the Bible, then that passage is a given. It is the starting-point of the discussion, which moves on from there.
Just as, if I were considering the meaning of the Data Protection Act of 1997, that document would be my starting point.

The Bible isn't that cut and dry. There is no one point in which you, or anyone, can say "This is where it starts".

One piece of the jigsaw at a time.
And you cannot claim that I am "refusing to discuss" something if I have already discussed it in another place.

You pragmatically compartmentalize. In that way you try control the input of those who find holes in and fault with whatever sermon you're trying to preach.

Another method of diversion is to ask"Why are you even here if you don't believe?!"

But that one isn't something you've seen in my posts, so I'm not going to comment.

Oh really?

If you don't like the Christian message, I don't really understand what you are doing trying to define Christian concepts.
Do I go into Buddhist discussions with a view to improving their understanding of Nirvana?
www.abovetopsecret.com...

BTW, John's supposed definition of antichrist has nothing to do with the Christian message"

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 07:14 PM
link   
a reply to: peppycat

thanks is not needed. my problem is with me and your false god and believe me i hate that fkr but it isn't all your fault you blindly follow IT like cattle

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 07:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther
This is the closest thing I could find in the blog cited in the OP that resembles anything near an answer to the question posed in the title, and it is unsurprisingly completely childish:

If you think this all sounds ridiculous or farfetched, this is exactly what it’s like living in large portions of the United States for people who aren’t Christians. This is why we keep engaging in public discussions about God. It’s because this idea—which other people seem to think isn’t any of our business—is all up in our business every day of our lives. That makes it our business.

In other words, if you Christians are going to ruin those Atheists' days with your bulls#, they're going to ruin yours with theirs.

I've said it a thousand times: they do it out of spite, a most hateful and harmful way to be.

yeah, its a real pain in the gluteus maximus how the first amendment swings both ways, eh? what you call spite, others call reciprocation, sharing in the joy of free speech, the right to have an opinion and be proud of it.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 07:18 PM
link   

This is the closest thing I could find in the blog cited in the OP that resembles anything near an answer to the question posed in the title, and it is unsurprisingly completely childish:

If you think this all sounds ridiculous or farfetched, this is exactly what it’s like living in large portions of the United States for people who aren’t Christians. This is why we keep engaging in public discussions about God. It’s because this idea—which other people seem to think isn’t any of our business—is all up in our business every day of our lives. That makes it our business.

In other words, if you Christians are going to ruin those Atheists' days with your bulls#, they're going to ruin yours with theirs.

I've said it a thousand times: they do it out of spite, a most hateful and harmful way to be.

Are you intentionally being obtuse? Or you really don't understand the analogy and/or what you just posted? If the latter, then I can't help you any. Seems plain enough to me.

Spite? I've met no atheists/anti-theists personally who enter this debate with such intention. However, I'm not so sure I'd blame them if they did.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 07:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm

yeah, its a real pain in the gluteus maximus how the first amendment swings both ways, eh? what you call spite, others call reciprocation, sharing in the joy of free speech, the right to have an opinion and be proud of it.
isn't freedom of religion a right we have in the US?

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I come to these threads to see how much more ridiculousness religion wants to spew on a public forum. Having read the replies, I am satisfied it's still the same.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 07:22 PM
link   

a reply to: CallYourBluff
No. Nice try.
It isn't a riddle, though.
I'm offering an answer to the perennial question of "why come to these threads if you're not 'Christian."

No the person you are referring has hit the nail on the head.

The very use of "Santa Claus" and "Tooth Fairy" rather than beings like "Zeus" or "Hera" confirms it. No one ever truly thinks that Santa or the Tooth Fairy are real except for when they are very young - children. Those are infantile beliefs.

Contrast that with beings from mythology that have the respected position of having been deities accorded the respect of having been gods believed in like God is believed in, even if those religious beliefs are mostly dead today. This person can't even do that much ... Instead, he accords God a position with the infantile fantasies no one holds beyond childhood.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 07:29 PM
link   

a reply to: TonyS

Or put another way......they dump on Christians, then they dump on Santa.

But, odd, isn't it......they never dump on Allah.

Allah is just the same......
God, Jesus, Allah -----
all the same thing as Santa.

Only managed 4 pages. This reply is the world undisputed heavyweight champion of replies.
*Claps n stars n flags n free hugs*

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 07:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified

Are you intentionally being obtuse? Or you really don't understand the analogy and/or what you just posted? If the latter, then I can't help you any. Seems plain enough to me.

Did the guy not say they do what they do because they perceive Christians as doing the same thing? Another member mentioned reciprocity. It's this tit-for-tat playground bulls# I'm referring to when I use the word "childish".

What other answer to his own question did he give? "You're in my face, so I'm going to get in yours." He may as well have said as much.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 07:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword
I said interpolation, not interpretation.

OK, sorry, but what did you mean by it? You asked me "if your interpretation of some passage is taken to be true". What kind of "interpolation" have you got in mind, if it is neither interpretation of the passage, nor the insertion of off-topic material? If you do mean the insertion of off-topic material, then yes, there is no room for it.

The Bible isn't that cut and dry. There is no one point in which you, or anyone, can say "This is where it starts".

I can certainly say "This is the portion of the Bible that I am discussing in this thread". If I define that passage as James ch1 vv1-15, then that is the topic of the thread.

You pragmatically compartmentalize. In that way you try control the input of those who find holes in and fault with whatever sermon you're trying to preach.

The compartmentalising is done in advance, according to the needs of the subject. Not a reaction to input, because it happens long before anyone starts contributing.
For example, the dozen or so threads of my God's Law series were written and planned out on my calendar, thread by thread, before even the first one appeared on the boards.

"If you don't like the Christian message, I don't really understand what you are doing trying to define Christian concepts.
Do I go into Buddhist discussions with a view to improving their understanding of Nirvana? "
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Ah, I see what you mean. But I think I would have to stand by that comment.
Look at it any way you like, would it not be absurd for me, as a non-Buddhist, to set about defining Buddhist concepts?

edit on 3-1-2016 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 07:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

a reply to: CallYourBluff
No. Nice try.
It isn't a riddle, though.
I'm offering an answer to the perennial question of "why come to these threads if you're not 'Christian."

No the person you are referring has hit the nail on the head.

The very use of "Santa Claus" and "Tooth Fairy" rather than beings like "Zeus" or "Hera" confirms it. No one ever truly thinks that Santa or the Tooth Fairy are real except for when they are very young - children. Those are infantile beliefs.

Contrast that with beings from mythology that have the respected position of having been deities accorded the respect of having been gods believed in like God is believed in, even if those religious beliefs are mostly dead today. This person can't even do that much ... Instead, he accords God a position with the infantile fantasies no one holds beyond childhood.

there is very little practical difference between fidelity to santa claus as a child and fidelity to a chosen deity as an adult. both threaten to punish the naughty, promise to reward the nice, live in a magical place no one has ever found, see everything we do, and are immortal. we send letters to santa, we pray to god, and we expect both to aswer their prayers/letters in an impossible fashion. i admire your dedication, but seriously, rethink your rebuttal.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 07:32 PM
link   
I thought everyone knew Santa runs everything already. I'm kind of disappointing finding out he doesn't control the world after thanksgiving. Isn't thanksgiving the eve of black friday?

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 07:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
I thought everyone knew Santa runs everything already. I'm kind of disappointing finding out he doesn't control the world after thanksgiving. Isn't thanksgiving the eve of black friday?
that was lame

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join