It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Why do non-Christians come here?" Here's why -

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 05:17 PM
link   
originally posted by: intrepid

I see no difference between militant theists and atheists. They can get extremely aggressive too.

Brother Trep how did we starting talking about Militants? But to your point, I can't stand anyone extreme on anything religion music nationality blah blah, thats when I cant help myself admittedly, and look down my nose at them and thing 'ugh just go away and shoosh up'

Why would one? They don't listen and jabber on.

Yep

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 05:17 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

what?

So what if I smoke?

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 05:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

I think it may have something to do with deep seated guilt and feelings of inferiority that cause you to try and validate your choices.

Erm....no.

I don't feel "guilty" or "inferior."
What 'choices' have I made that you disapprove of (condemn)?

How should I know. Perhaps you smoke too much or indulge a fetish for flying insects?

Are you qualified to make that determination Lord?

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 05:22 PM
link   
a reply to: LightSpeedDriver

The only problem with that would be, if he could be observed in such a fashion then it would actually contradict the nature that they are claiming that he is....

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 05:29 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

It is relevant to "The Bible is true, and you need to believe it".
It is NOT relevant to "The meaning of this passage in the Bible is x rather than y". In such a discussion, the Bible is a given, as the starting point, and the debate moves on from there.

The Bible is a given, meaning what exactly in your threads? Is it a given that the Bible is true in your threads, or that your interpretation of some passage is given to be true? No room for interpolation?

What I hate is when religious OPs direct their critics to post in another thread, in order for the poster to catch up to the OP's compartmentalized method of proselytizing. IF they protest, the OP claims them to be off topic. What they do in their threads is counter any argument, claiming the issue has already been addressed by them in some previous thread that they also authored, or that they have a thread coming up in the future, in which that topic can then be discussed.

It is just another method of diversion in order to refuse to discuss theology and religious viewpoints from any other angle other than the pre-conceived lesson that the OP is trying to preach in the first place. Another method of diversion is to ask"Why are you even here if you don't believe?!"

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 05:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

When people tell me that, I tell them they should stop going to the Hospital then and just 'pray to be cured'.

If I can't criticize and debate your beliefs, then you should be able to life by them without exception.

~Tenth

Since most Western World Hospitals are actually funded by, or are themselves Christian Institutions...

They are? News to me.

...perhaps it is the atheists who should stop going to hospitals...

So they don't deserve basic medical attention?

...should acknowledge that death is inevitable and that they will cease to exist at some stage and that their life is a pointless painful struggle to get nowhere.

I think they get that quite well. The point?

I never said that atheists don't deserve basic medical care, I was simply pointing out the rational absurdity of a statement in a previous post.

Also, there's a lot of very specifically Christian involvement in public healthcare not only now, but also historically, but don't take my word for it: History of hospitals - Wikipedia.

edit on 3/1/2016 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 05:35 PM
link   

I never said that atheists don't deserve basic medical care, I was simply pointing out the rational absurdity of a statement in a previous post.

Might I ask you to be more specific?
What "rationally absurd" statement are you pointing out, please?

If you don't mind?

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 05:37 PM
link   

I think it may have something to do with deep seated guilt and feelings of inferiority that cause you to try and validate your choices.

Erm....no.

How should I know. Perhaps you smoke too much or indulge a fetish for flying insects?

Absolutely not. Did I make a determination?

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Erm....no.

Absolutely not. Did I make a determination?

No. A supposition but I put a fork in it.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Might I ask you to be more specific?
What "rationally absurd" statement are you pointing out, please?

If you don't mind?

Gladly, it was this post

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 05:42 PM
link   

but also historically...

Especially historically. The church had the money and knowledge. Today? Not so much. Oh and not just Christian. Shriners. Jewish hospitals. Hell, if I'm dying take me there.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 05:42 PM
link   

oh! So, you're saying it is absurd that Christians refuse to go the hospital (or have their kids vaccinated) because of their beliefs?

I agree. It is absurd.

Did I get your meaning?

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 05:48 PM
link   

but also historically...

Especially historically. The church had the money and knowledge. Today? Not so much. Oh and not just Christian. Shriners. Jewish hospitals. Hell, if I'm dying take me there.

If I were dying, I probably wouldn't be picky (but I might ask for another one if they were taking me to the UnHoly Mother of Baphomet Hospital, Mausoleum and Mosh Pit).

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 05:49 PM
link   

I might ask for another one if they were taking me to the UnHoly Mother of Baphomet Hospital, Mausoleum and Mosh Pit

What?

I really don't understand your point.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 05:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tucket
Travelling the boards, Ive noticed that various atheists seem to be disgruntled former xtians who were fed christianity by fundie parents... Now that theyve liberated themselves, they feel the need (or just for funsies) to try and talk sense (or belittle) into those silly Christians who still hold faith.

Of course, no Christians ever feel the need to try and talk sense into those silly athiests/agnostics who hold no faith. And they certainly wouldn't use the threat of eternal damnation. Not once in 2000 years.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 05:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

Perhaps it's why you come to the threads.

For me? I don't visit unless it becomes a free speech issue, then I'll defend anyone's religious rights.

Santa or no Santa, it really doesn't affect who/how/what I believe or don't believe.

No NO! You are supposed to imagine a world
wherein everyone stares back at you, and asks why you aren't praying to Santa!

Because this straw man concept of God is precisely what the OP embraces.

She is keeping you 'safe'.
No more growing pains for her, since God=Santa.
Or maybe it's science...? No matter. It's her call.

Hopefully this clarifies the bias.

# 569

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 05:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified

originally posted by: Tucket
Travelling the boards, Ive noticed that various atheists seem to be disgruntled former xtians who were fed christianity by fundie parents... Now that theyve liberated themselves, they feel the need (or just for funsies) to try and talk sense (or belittle) into those silly Christians who still hold faith.

Of course, no Christians ever feel the need to try and talk sense into those silly athiests/agnostics who hold no faith.

This agnostic maintains that a disbelief in a supreme being is also a faith because it's unknowable but damn, they get as bent as telling a theist that a god doesn't exist.

Not once in 2000 years.

Atheists didn't exist before Christ?

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 06:01 PM
link   
a reply to: TheWhiteKnight

No NO! You are supposed to imagine a world
wherein everyone stares back at you, and asks why you aren't praying to Santa!

Because this straw man concept of God is precisely what the OP embraces. She is keeping you 'safe'.
No more growing pains for her, since God=Santa.
Or maybe it's science...? No matter. It's her call.

Wait...what?

Are you speaking for me?

I'm perfectly capable of making my own points...
And the article in the OP is pretty clear.

This thread (the OP) references an off-site answer to people who ask why non-believers feel compelled to respond to "believer" threads. I happen to think that the essay was worth posting here.

edit on 1/3/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 06:01 PM
link   

oh! So, you're saying it is absurd that Christians refuse to go the hospital (or have their kids vaccinated) because of their beliefs?

I agree. It is absurd.

Did I get your meaning?

To clarify, I do not regard cult groups (Jehova's Witnesses, Dutch Reformed Church and Christian Scientists) as Christian. Early implementations of mass immunization were almost exclusively Christian Church based. Wikipedia article on Vaccination and Religion

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 06:03 PM
link   

I might ask for another one if they were taking me to the UnHoly Mother of Baphomet Hospital, Mausoleum and Mosh Pit

What?

I really don't understand your point.

It was somewhat tongue in cheek. I did intent to add a
but I was distracted IRL.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join