It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Why do non-Christians come here?" Here's why -

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Tarzan the apeman.

Worried leads one to fear.

Exactly. And I am 'worried' (and afraid) for the children of today's Evangelical American Christians.
I'm afraid for them.

Fears is what makes the world go round. Sets our way of thinking. Forms our opinions. Stops us form going forward as a species. Man became his own worst enemy when he/she learned how to use fear as a weapon.
You are precisely accurate with this statement, in my opinion.

I'm "worried" that today's children will grow up to dismiss every other belief system OUT OF FEAR....I am "afraid" of that happening. And if it does, it will be for NO VALID REASON.

It is time to disabuse our populace of misinformation.
In My Opinion.

There is no "true" religion. We are all fractals of the same source. Period.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 04:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
I, as a non-Christian, frequent these boards because I see religion in general (not just Christianity) as a conspiracy and control mechanism. What better place to voice my opinion on that conspiracy than a conspiracy website?

I think the better question would be: "Why do Christians visit a conspiracy website then get offended when people call their belief system a conspiracy?"

I have not seen you go off topic in this forum. You don't run in and yell FAKE. I think this is the crux of this. You post responsibly within it responding to whatever the OP is.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 04:47 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

I doubt it.

I think it may have something to do with deep seated guilt and feelings of inferiority that cause you to try and validate your choices.

I think you cannot bear "weakness" and wish to show that you don't need anything beyond yourself, whether a deity exists or not.

Anyway, I could also be wrong. That's the thing with us Christians, we acknowledge our own insufficiency.

edit on 3/1/2016 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 04:48 PM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

No intrigue whatsoever...that's why the attempt at humor.

Ah!! Okay then!!

I can see the humor now....
lol!!

Thank you!!!
You've been an enigma on ATS, as far as I'm concerned.....couldn't make heads nor tails of your position.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 04:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: ApparentlyStupid
(Read the op in your link) Fair enough, I tend to stay out of those threads. This one however is specifically regarding the topic of why non believers want in on the conversations. Questioning the credibility of the source materials is part of the answer IMO. Do you disagree?

I'm not in a position to agree or disagree about whether this is their motive. It's what they often do, so I suppose it must be,
My point is there are occasions when this questioning is not relevant to the topic of the thread.
It is relevant to "The Bible is true, and you need to believe it".
It is NOT relevant to "The meaning of this passage in the Bible is x rather than y". In such a discussion, the Bible is a given, as the starting point, and the debate moves on from there.

link   
The basic problem is that some feel the need to proselytize and some don't care for that. As has been pointed out, this is a discussion board, not a Christian board. Hell, this forum is for all faiths. If you want to talk about something without debate, go to a Christian board.

link   
a reply to: chr0naut

I think it may have something to do with deep seated guilt and feelings of inferiority that cause you to try and validate your choices.

Erm....no.

I don't feel "guilty" or "inferior."
What 'choices' have I made that you disapprove of (condemn)?

link   
a reply to: reldra

This thread isn't about the credibility of those texts, but evidence could be found to bring them under question. I would be happy to participate if you wanna start one.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 04:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: ApparentlyStupid
a reply to: reldra

This thread isn't about the credibility of those texts, but evidence could be found to bring them under question. I would be happy to participate if you wanna start one.

This is not the place. Maybe in another thread one day. As I say, I studied the bible and also it's origins in college.

The thread here, has been made very clear by the OP.

And beyond that, it has been reiterated that in a religious discussion, when a narrow topic is discussed, the source material- such as the bible- is the source material. It is accepted that the source material is valid, yet the interpretation may differ.
edit on 3-1-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 04:53 PM
link   

I have to admit the OP and its accompanying post were hilarious. Especially the part about "you will spend all of eternity being punished by being submerged under the ice at the north pole, and poked by Santa’s elves with sticks." It really put things in perspective for me.

With that being said, I think this argument only works in specific cases. As in, I can accept this atheist reasoning for opposing the mandatory placement of religion in social & legal settings. After all, I'd be against the mandatory addition of "In Zeus we trust" and similar things.

But I don't think this argument works with situations that aren't mandatory. Yeah, atheists can get annoyed with hearing about things they don't believe in or care about. Join the club. Our society is filled with crap I don't care about, like most of pop culture and the obsessions with war, money, the "Founding Fathers", etc. But that doesn't mean I have to interject myself in every thread that focuses on those things. I can easily ignore them & focus on the things I care about. Same goes for atheists & religious topics.

But many atheists are actually anti-theists, anti-Muslims, and anti-Christians. They seem to delight in attacking specific religions that they supposedly don't care about. That doesn't fit with the reasoning in the OP because they can completely avoid most of the fights they pick. It's literally like some of them get a rush from attacking those religions. That goes far beyond the answer of simply being tired of hearing about a subject they don't believe in.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 04:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower

When people tell me that, I tell them they should stop going to the Hospital then and just 'pray to be cured'.

If I can't criticize and debate your beliefs, then you should be able to life by them without exception.

~Tenth

Since most Western World Hospitals are actually funded by, or are themselves Christian Institutions, perhaps it is the atheists who should stop going to hospitals, should acknowledge that death is inevitable and that they will cease to exist at some stage and that their life is a pointless painful struggle to get nowhere.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: CallYourBluff
No, it's because pseudointellectual types like to pick on those they deem inferior.

What he says here is a very good point that you, BuzzyWigs, claims is false. Yet, the post that you shared only proves his statement correct. You shared a post asking us to imagine a world where "god" is replaced with "Santa", in order for us to see how ridiculous it sounds. Now who would believe such nonsense, unless they were stupid, right?? Which in a lot of ways the person who's post was shared is pretty much telling them that he views them as stupid, which is why he replies to threads regarding religion when he doesn't believe. So if you believe what that guy posted, then CYB's statement is true, even if you don't want to agree.

But I think the true answer isn't so much that you feel they're stupid, hence you must make them understand their stupidity, no. I think it's more that you, like many others out there, just enjoy drama. You like to stir things up, because you enjoy it. I don't think it would really matter what topic it's on, either.

People don't just do this in regards to religion. Let's change the topic to video games. Consoles, for example. If you actually check message boards regarding PS4 and XBO, you'll find people who don't own the console going there doing the exact same thing you do in regards to religion. You'll see it among console forums, video game forums, and if you delve into the MMO-world, you'll even see it in class discussions. What's funny is you see people ask the same question....."Why come here if you don't own the console??", "Why come here if you don't play this class??", etc.....

So it all really boils down to the one thing that's very prominent across the internet:

"Stop liking what I don't like!!!"

That's why you go to religious forums, admit it.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 05:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

When people tell me that, I tell them they should stop going to the Hospital then and just 'pray to be cured'.

If I can't criticize and debate your beliefs, then you should be able to life by them without exception.

~Tenth

Since most Western World Hospitals are actually funded by, or are themselves Christian Institutions...

They are? News to me.

...perhaps it is the atheists who should stop going to hospitals...

So they don't deserve basic medical attention?

...should acknowledge that death is inevitable and that they will cease to exist at some stage and that their life is a pointless painful struggle to get nowhere.

I think they get that quite well. The point?
edit on 3-1-2016 by intrepid because: Fiexed BB code. Hopefully.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Does this explain it to you???

Your post doesn't actually explain anything. I am not involved in a religion and I certainly find aspects of Christianity silly or non-nonsensical, however, I don't feel the need to get involved in their threads and go out of my way to tell them how I feel.

Now, when I was in college I did often times give Christians a hard time, but that was more about me wanting to be an ass and not their beliefs. I look back now and I see myself as being immature when I used to go out of my way to belittle the belief system of others.

I think the position of Atheists can be just as silly as that of Christians. This doesn't apply to ALL Atheists or ALL Christians, but ones that have a certain immaturity.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 05:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

~Tenth

Since most Western World Hospitals are actually funded by, or are themselves Christian Institutions, perhaps it is the atheists who should stop going to hospitals, should acknowledge that death is inevitable and that they will cease to exist at some stage and that their life is a pointless painful struggle to get nowhere.

Most Western World Hospitals? I don't think that is true.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 05:04 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Very true.

Buzzy I can relate to your OP, I think some people see it as an insult but it really does express how an atheist may feel surrounded by other peoples faith. It is hard it is to express your own feelings without feeling belittled or without belittling the person you are discussing it with.

I have found more and more I am moving from saying 'let everyone believe what they want' to me feeling I don't care less about even having conversations with people on the subject anymore. I'd rather go live on another planet and leave earth to be fought over by the religious factions.

I don't care what people believe anymore, I use to, not anymore.

edit on 3-1-2016 by zazzafrazz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 05:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: zazzafrazz
Buzzy I can relate to your OP, I think some people see it as an insult but it really does express how an atheist may feel surrounded by other peoples faith and how hard it is to express your own feelings without feeling belittled or without belittling the person you are discussing it with.

I see no difference between militant theists and atheists. They can get extremely aggressive too.

I have found more and more I am moving from saying 'let everyone believe what they want' to me feeling I don't care less about even having conversations with people on the subject anymore.

Why would one? They don't listen and jabber on.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 05:11 PM
link   
a reply to: DeathSlayer

I admit I use to be one of those impatient zealous Christians you speak of but after awhile I realized I was going about it all wrong! Where was my patience, where was my understanding and respect for others, where was the love? Instead of bringing souls to God's family I was pushing them away and it was my fault. I wish I could go back in time and change things but that is not possible.

Even Christians make mistakes........ can you believe it?

This is a wonderful post. I hope you get applause for it.

Congratulations on your gaining of maturity and an understanding of diplomacy's importance in discussing these very sensitive subjects.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

I am not involved in a religion and I certainly find aspects of Christianity silly or non-nonsensical, however, I don't feel the need to get involved in their threads and go out of my way to tell them how I feel.

Why not?

You tell us how you feel with measurable frequency.....
my point is that "religion" is no longer a "taboo" subject.
Fifty years ago? Yes....it was bad form and socially unacceptable to discuss religion.

NOW, however, it is crucial.
World Peace depends on it.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 05:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
a reply to: chr0naut

Erm....no.

I don't feel "guilty" or "inferior."
What 'choices' have I made that you disapprove of (condemn)?

How should I know. Perhaps you smoke too much or indulge a fetish for flying insects?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join