It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Why do non-Christians come here?" Here's why -

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

I think the best thing is to just go about whatever it is you do, without trying to "sell" your beliefs to others. If your beliefs are awesome, they'll sell themselves. A good product doesn't need a bunch of marketing, a good product flies off the shelf because its...a good product!

Signed sealed and delivered.

There is nothing else that really needs to be said after that, and it solves everyone's problem.

I have said more times than I can count, I am not a fan of religion, but that has nothing to do with your right to believe and worship as you please. I don't care what race, religion, or culture, a person attributes to themselves.

I don't need someone to tell me what kind of person they are. People do a much better job of showing who they are without having to say a word.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

Yes, you did miss something.....

I didn't realize they were lamenting on a childhood were they felt they their parents are responsible for the hell they feel they had to endure during their religious training.
the author of the OP did not say anything about little kids.

It is I who am taking that position.

So how does what they endured in their religious training as a child, translate to lashing out at people that had nothing t do with whatever they felt they were forced to endure?

Since my goal is to discourage any person who may cause injury to a child by feeding them a doctrine that shames them (or a food that poisons them), I will continue to bring up the harm done, to discuss why that is happening, and to say to those persons:

"Hey, don't feed the kid that - it will stunt his or her growth, and mess with their immune system." Like, tainted baby formula for example. Product recall is in order when that happens. PSA: don't feed your kid this. It's unhealthy.
edit on 1/4/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

then what you are doing, spending your time preaching to non believers about preaching to believers? the agnostic wags their finger at the atheist wagging their finger at the theist. or in other words, the irony continues.

welcome to the holey trinity.

I'm not any sort of theologian. I'm merely pointing out the devotion to the concepts of God and religion. I'm merely pointing out that just like the Christian, you are interpreting the bible and telling others about your interpretation. How that differs from any denomination of Christianity is beyond me. Citing the Bible, arguing God, and providing an interpretation—it sounds like you are still a practicing theologian, and since the conversation consistently revolves around Christianity, you are a Christian theologian.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: dogstar23

I'm not an Old Testament Christian, but I can still comprehend what and why was written, and thus, be able to disagree with what is written on many points. XXIII

I am going out on a limb here, as I really don't know what is in the mind of an Atheist, and I can't speak for them.

I think it all boils down to faith. Religious people are grounded in a faith that what they have been told to be true, is true. They have no doubt, were as the Atheist is all doubt, and has no faith in anything that they can't detect with their senses.

My problem is not with faith. I have faith. I just don't see the man written documents, translated and passed down over the centuries, as unaltered, uncorrupted, words from a non-human, all knowing, all loving God, in the heavens looking over us.

I don't think you can have an intelligent, non-confrontational discussion with someone, if you are a person of faith, and you are trying to explain your beliefs to someone that has no capacity for faith.

The best you can hope for is to agree to disagree.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Exactly, if someone wants to wear a bucket or spaghetti strainer on their head -- who cares? Are they harming anyone by doing so? Nope. If it offends you...well...then I think you have some other issues to work out! LOL

Unfortunately I know to many people on BOTH ends of the spectrum that can't leave well enough alone. They have this incessant need to pick at one another. It's as if trashing the "other guy" somehow makes their faith/belief stronger in whatever it is they believe.

If someone has o trash someone else to feel better about what you believe, or they have to constantly interject their beliefs ... they probably don't have very strong faith/beliefs/convictions and are simply seeking validation.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 12:22 PM
link   

I think it all boils down to faith. Religious people are grounded in a faith that what they have been told to be true, is true. They have no doubt, were as the Atheist is all doubt, and has no faith in anything that they can't detect with their senses.

My problem is not with faith. I have faith. I just don't see the man written documents, translated and passed down over the centuries, as unaltered, uncorrupted, words from a non-human, all knowing, all loving God, in the heavens looking over us.

Yes.
They have been told it is true, so they believe it is true. And they teach their kids it is true. Thing is - we really don't "know."

The Truth is not determined by a show of hands.

Can't recall where I first heard that, but it's always stuck with me.

Then again, there's this one that sticks in my mind, too:

I am an agnostic.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

I will ignore your implication that I am 'uneducated' in this topic, and instead provide you with a handful of the MANY authorities whose work I have examined and absorbed (listed in no particular order except as they come to mind):

Hooray for you. I have studied Jesus and His diosciples Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John and hold them in much higher esteem than your little people whose work I have also examined and absorbed.

William James the great American head shrink along with Carl Jung another shrink -- Figures -- and then the great Karen Armstrong who went nuts and wrote a book for you? Then you list the theological evolutionist Robert Wright who has nothing to offer except how to believe that 13 billion years ago was here 13 billion years ago. Yes that explains how you are so well an educated biblical scholar. I now understand why you chose the forum to assault.

By the way you do understand that smoking is also not the wise thing to teach.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Since my goal is to discourage any person who may cause injury to a child by feeding them a doctrine that shames them (or a food that poisons them), I will continue to bring up the harm done, to discuss why that is happening, and to say to those persons:

And what of the countless children that are not being harmed?

I understand you wanting to intervene if you see a child that may be being harmed, but you don't have the right to interfere when a child is not being harmed?

Children get hurt playing outside and indoors everyday. Should there be a ban on children playing? Should children not be allowed to play ever again, because a number of children have been hurting playing?

We can't protect others from the experiences and pains we have had in our own lives, and we can't blame everyone because of the pain, anger, and misfortunes, in our own lives.

We can speak our minds, and we can share our life experiences, in hope that we may be able to spare others, but it is not our duty, nor is it right, for us to cast aspersion, place blame, or tell others how they should live their lives, or raise their children.

IMHO.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Seede

uh oh

You're out of arguments. Time to attack me AND attack the resources I presented.
I never claimed to be a "Biblical Scholar". I claimed to be educated in the topic of religion from an anthropological, historical, and psychological stance.

*big sigh*

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 12:32 PM
link   

And what of the countless children that are not being harmed?

Nothing "of them" except that I want there to be MORE of them.

I understand you wanting to intervene if you see a child that may be being harmed, but you don't have the right to interfere when a child is not being harmed?

If a child is not being harmed, then I have no dog in the fight.
"Not my circus, not my monkeys" (an old Polish phrase)

I don't get what point you're trying to twist my words into.

The OP cites an article written by an adult addressing other adults.
The question is "Why do you come here?" He offered an answer.

I have an additional answer.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 12:36 PM
link   

We can't protect others from the experiences and pains we have had in our own lives,

Yes, we can, if we know where those experiences and pains originated and are honest enough to discuss it. Our children we CAN protect from the pain and negative experiences of religious indoctrination.

*another big sigh*

Here, I'll make it as succinct as I can:

An adult who fills a child's head with ideas that create self-loathing, shame, and fear of pending doom, abandonment, and torture IF THE CHILD DOES NOT "BEHAVE" is harming that child.

It is child abuse.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

I'm not any sort of theologian. I'm merely pointing out the devotion to the concepts of God and religion. I'm merely pointing out that just like the Christian, you are interpreting the bible and telling others about your interpretation. How that differs from any denomination of Christianity is beyond me. Citing the Bible, arguing God, and providing an interpretation—it sounds like you are still a practicing theologian, and since the conversation consistently revolves around Christianity, you are a Christian theologian.

Well said and agree with one addition and that would be that there are also Jewish and Muslim practicing theologians involved. The entirety of any religion is theology and that is the main stay of this forum as its title shows. When theologians discuss religion it is often looked upon as argument of facts when in all reality it is only regarded as factual in a theological realm. Theology can never be argued as fact and most realize that.

There are some who try to derail a religious discussion on a regular basis, which is their right to do so, but seemingly is not simply offering an opinion but only to disrupt the concept of subject matter. Their obsession with destruction is as obvious as the theologian's fervent faith in their religion.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 01:12 PM
link   
What you don't get is that you are throwing the baby out with the bath water.

You are right. I was lucky. I was raised in a home with a Native American grandmother, a devout Catholic mother, a Baptist father, and a Jewish grandfather that went to any and all churches in the community and dragged his grandchildren with him.

I was never harmed by anyone in any of those different religions, and I received nothing but love and plenty of good eatings, from my experiences.

When I came of age I made my decision and my choice about religion, just like my 9 other siblings. We did not suffer at the hands of religion, and I would not have changed anything about my religious upbringing, in any way. I think your attitude is wrong, and your way brings more harm to children then protecting them.

Protect the children that you think are being harmed if you feel so compelled, but leave the children that aren't being harmed alone to make up their own minds about what they want to believe.

Just because you had a bad experience, doesn't mean every person, or child, has had, or will have, a bad experience with religion.

I had a beautiful and loving experience with religion in my life. I rejected the religion, not the people. There is a huge difference. You can't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Post that video of someone talking to the child.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 01:21 PM
link   

WHY are you refusing to understand that some children are abused by the religious doctrines they are force-fed????

I'm very happy for you that you were allowed to decide when you came of age.
That is EXACTLY what I think should be happening.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 01:24 PM
link   
And I will leave this here, for anyone still reading.....
(thanks boymonkey, for encouraging me)

THIS is what our kids should (and COULD) be learning, and hearing.....

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 01:44 PM
link   

TextYou're out of arguments. Time to attack me AND attack the resources I presented. I never claimed to be a "Biblical Scholar". I claimed to be educated in the topic of religion from an anthropological, historical, and psychological stance.

No arguments intended. Simply facts. Your education in the field of the mentally challenged does not qualify you in the field of religious theology just as you stated above. Your need to help clean your own field of drugs of destruction is far more serious to human kind than that of religion. Jesus offers an everlasting afterlife of drug free existence which is far more than what any human could offer. Of course if you insist that ritalin and other mind altering substances can offer a child more than an afterlife then I see exactly which table you sit at. My opinion of course with no anger intended. I see clearly why you are a regular contributor to religious forums.

Please give up the smoking bit. For the sake of children who might not understand that it is very destructive.
More so than religion.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Of course if you insist that ritalin and other mind altering substances can offer a child more than an afterlife then I see exactly which table you sit at. My opinion of course with no anger intended. I see clearly why you are a regular contributor to religious forums.

Please give up the smoking bit. For the sake of children who might not understand that it is very destructive.
More so than religion.

Good Sir, and noble:

What are you on about?????

When did I ever say ritalin was good - ?? The "smoking" bit?

Methinks you have grasped onto some tangent that I have never even considered.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 01:51 PM
link   

gasp OOHHhhh!!
You are talking about my avatar, aren't you!!?

Do you know where that image originated?*
Perhaps the irony of it is beyond your realm of experience.

Here, in case you didn't see this vid I left:

Okay, I'm done now.

*q.v.: Fight Club

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join