It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Why do non-Christians come here?" Here's why -

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Many of you ask this, routinely. You want to know why people who are "not Christians" insist on infiltrating your "Christian" threads.

I found this article this morning, which sums it up really well. (The words bracketed in the title are mine - to elucidate why agnostics also come to this forum) Why Atheists [and Agnostics] Like Me Keep Talking About God

Earlier this week, a member of a relatively liberal Christian Facebook group to which I belong asked

why the atheists in the group feel the need to insert themselves into discussions about religion when they aren’t believers themselves. If we don’t believe in God, why do we talk about him so much?

I read this same thing a lot on ATS.....so, here's an answer for you all. I didn't write it. I just thought it was noteworthy for purposes of this forum being here and so lively.

Whenever someone asks why we non-believers keep addressing matters of religion in public discourse, I always like to use an analogy written by Thought2Much, who is a good friend of mine and one of my comment moderators on this blog:

Imagine a world in which everywhere you turned, a belief in a literal Santa Claus was staring back at you.

Imagine if the pledge to the flag included the words “under Santa,” and all of your currency included the phrase “In Santa We Trust.”

Imagine if when you went to a courtroom to testify, you had to put your hand on a copy of the book, “‘Twas the Night Before Christmas,” and say “So help me Santa” at the end of your oath.

Imagine that town meetings all across the country started with the singing of the song “Here Comes Santa Claus” or “Santa Claus is Coming to Town.”

Okay? Can you "Christians" imagine that for a minute?

I considered and deliberated for a few hours whether or not to post this.....
well - the "holidays" are done, and perhaps now nerves are settled enough to hear an answer that might, possibly, help readers understand WHY we "non-Christians" show up when you'd prefer we didn't.....

This article explains why (since it's clear that the answers given by ATS members seem to elude you all).......
what do you think, ATS?

Does this explain it to you???
edit on 1/3/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Here's another snippet:

Imagine everyone around you telling you that if you don’t believe in Santa Claus, you will spend all of eternity being punished by being submerged under the ice at the north pole, and poked by Santa’s elves with sticks.

Charming...right?

Imagine everyone telling you to just shut up about the fact that you don’t believe in Santa, and to just go along with all of the nonsense, because to everyone else, Santa Claus is absolutely, positively real,

and you can’t tell them anything different, and since the majority of society believes in Santa, you must follow what they do.

Uh....my response?: No.

+27 more 
posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 03:04 PM
link   
No, it's because pseudointellectual types like to pick on those they deem inferior.

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: CallYourBluff
No. Nice try.
It isn't a riddle, though.
I'm offering an answer to the perennial question of "why come to these threads if you're not 'Christian."

+3 more 
posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

I think the point is that if Christians are discussing something among themselves about their religion, it makes no sense why one would need to interject their disbelief, etc. I don't think believers really care what non-believers think, so I guess it is a curiosity only. I don't know what would be a good analogy, but I guess if people were talking about buffets and what they like to eat and where the best ones are, is for some anorexic vegan chimes in on their dislike of food and believing buffets are no good etc. Why?

Perhaps it is a subconscious thing that goes on with atheists that they have HIGH HOPE they don't die and find out they were wrong.

edit on 3/1/16 by spirit_horse because: typos

+11 more 
posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
Many of you ask this, routinely. You want to know why people who are "not Christians" insist on infiltrating your "Christian" threads.

I found this article this morning, which sums it up really well. (The words bracketed in the title are mine - to elucidate why agnostics also come to this forum) Why Atheists [and Agnostics] Like Me Keep Talking About God

Earlier this week, a member of a relatively liberal Christian Facebook group to which I belong asked

why the atheists in the group feel the need to insert themselves into discussions about religion when they aren’t believers themselves. If we don’t believe in God, why do we talk about him so much?

I read this same thing a lot on ATS.....so, here's an answer for you all. I didn't write it. I just thought it was noteworthy for purposes of this forum being here and so lively.

Whenever someone asks why we non-believers keep addressing matters of religion in public discourse, I always like to use an analogy written by Thought2Much, who is a good friend of mine and one of my comment moderators on this blog:

Imagine a world in which everywhere you turned, a belief in a literal Santa Claus was staring back at you.

Imagine if the pledge to the flag included the words “under Santa,” and all of your currency included the phrase “In Santa We Trust.”

Imagine if when you went to a courtroom to testify, you had to put your hand on a copy of the book, “‘Twas the Night Before Christmas,” and say “So help me Santa” at the end of your oath.

Imagine that town meetings all across the country started with the singing of the song “Here Comes Santa Claus” or “Santa Claus is Coming to Town.”

Okay? Can you "Christians" imagine that for a minute?

I considered and deliberated for a few hours whether or not to post this.....
well - the "holidays" are done, and perhaps now nerves are settled enough to hear an answer that might, possibly, help readers understand WHY we "non-Christians" show up when you'd prefer we didn't.....

This article explains why (since it's clear that the answers given by ATS members seem to elude you all).......
what do you think, ATS?

Does this explain it to you???

See, first they dump on God...now their dumping on Santa...they know no bounds....

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: spirit_horse

I think the point is that if Christians are discussing something among themselves about their religion, it makes no sense why one would need to interject their disbelief, etc.

It makes perfect sense....if one is outside of the 'bubble' in which those "exclusive-minded" "Christians" live, and has hope that by speaking up they might dispell 'exclusivity' in the mutual quest for denial of ignorance, they will do so.

+25 more 
posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

Or put another way......they dump on Christians, then they dump on Santa.

But, odd, isn't it......they never dump on Allah.

link   
S&F! I would applause you if I could.

I could add to this gentleman's analogy, but I think it says what needs to be said, just like it is. They will either get it or they won't.

link   

When people tell me that, I tell them they should stop going to the Hospital then and just 'pray to be cured'.

If I can't criticize and debate your beliefs, then you should be able to life by them without exception.

~Tenth

link   

So - no intention of addressing the answer to the question you seem to be most intrigued by?

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 03:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: spirit_horse
I think the point is that if Christians are discussing something among themselves about their religion, it makes no sense why one would need to interject their disbelief,

In ATS terms, this means "at least keep on-topic". This forum has a sticky thread on that very point.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Perhaps it's why you come to the threads.

For me? I don't visit unless it becomes a free speech issue, then I'll defend anyone's religious rights.

Santa or no Santa, it really doesn't affect who/how/what I believe or don't believe.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 03:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS

This just isn't true. It's a myth that continues to be perpetuated over and over in threads like these. There are others here, just like myself, who don't cut Islam a break, just because it's PC to do so.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

Allah is just the same......
God, Jesus, Allah -----
all the same thing as Santa.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 03:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

So - no intention of addressing the answer to the question you seem to be most intrigued by?

No intrigue whatsoever...that's why the attempt at humor.

I'm agnostic, I am NOT anti-Christian in the slightest. I couldn't care less one way or the other....

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Perhaps it's why you come to the threads.

Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. "I" have nothing to do with the posted article.
I am offering an outside answer to a question that pops up here every few days:

"If you don't believe, why do you come here?"

This is what someone else said as an answer. It resonated with me, and I thought it might get through to some who perpetually wonder what we 'non-Christians' are here to do.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 03:20 PM
link   

I just hope you aren't speaking for me or anyone else.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Actually nm, not going to bite, don't want to derail.
edit on rdSun, 03 Jan 2016 15:21:26 -0600America/Chicago120152680 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 03:22 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

If you post a topic in this forum, ALL MEMBERS are free to respond/reply/participate in it.

Perhaps you have not been one of those who has asked, "Why do you come to read this if you don't believe it?".....
but many, many have asked that very thing.....

The article in the OP is an explanation for you.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join