It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hilarious statistical data correlations

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Is there a connection between margarine consumption and the divorce rate in Maine?

As a fun diversion to an otherwise boring occupation, some statisticians have written programs that search through endless
data, and identify these correlations. Some of the graphs are so eerily similar, they're near-perfect matches.

Here are some of the funnier ones:
Spurious connections

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Well, if you switch to butter from margarine, then the food you make tastes better and there won't be so many crabby couples out there.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: ColeYounger

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics."

-Mark Twain

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I mean..when you get past the fact that most of those graphs deal with death then its hilarious

Fishing boat accidents and marriages though..suspicious...very suspicious..

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 01:35 PM
link   
LOVE these! Awesome post. TY!

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 01:35 PM
link   
A more acurate one. The percentage of people who have died on the Earth that breathed Oxygen. 100%.
The number of people on the Earth that breath Oxygen. 100%.
You can't get closer than exact. It's called "stating the bleeding obvious". You can make any statistics say what you desire that's why it's a favourite tool of politicians.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Obviously Dairy Products are Godlike.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 02:43 PM
link   
It makes me wonder how many statistics we are told about are just utter bull****, with the most ridiculous supposition being made to try to prove a point, when it's just 100% coincidence.

Next time I hear someone say "Look at this! When the population of this group of people I don't like rises, [this] and [this] - that I view as negative - occurs more often!", or the next time I hear someone say "I don't believe that coincidences occur, everything happens for a reason!"

And then I'll post this for them....

edit on 3/1/16 by Ghost147 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 03:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ghost147
It makes me wonder how many statistics we are told about are just utter bull****, with the most ridiculous supposition being made to try to prove a point, when it's just 100% coincidence.

Next time I hear someone say "Look at this! When the population of this group of people I don't like rises, [this] and [this] - that I view as negative - occurs more often!", or the next time I hear someone say "I don't believe that coincidences occur, everything happens for a reason!"

And then I'll post this for them....

Who hasn't felt like falling into a pool after watching Ghost Rider (aghhh, my intellect is being burned alive!)?

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Global Warming directly correlates to the amount of Mozzarella Cheese Nicolas Cage consumes on Fishing Boats in Kentucky.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 04:55 AM
link   
Ice cream causes sunburn.

Sales of ice cream surge when it gets sunny.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I'm just very surprised that hundreds of people are dying every year by becoming tangled in their bedsheets.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 10:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3n19m470
I'm just very surprised that hundreds of people are dying every year by becoming tangled in their bedsheets.

That statistic was a WTF moment for me as well. It must be people who are disabled/infirmed.

new topics

top topics

join