It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If motion stops will time stop?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Yes, if every particle and anti-particle in the universe and the universe itself stopped.

Our concept of time measures the passage of celestial bodies through the cosmos, with all the cosmos and everything within it frozen there would be nothing to measure, nor anything to measure that nothing with.

And don't listen to any of the kooks telling you time doesn't exist because humans made it up, that's like saying miles don't exist because humans made them up. It's a unit of measurement, as a concept, sure it's patently bull# and everything exists concurrently in the now. The future is only imagination until it becomes now and the past is only a memory after it was the now. Time is all just measurement of where something is relevant to us on dimension perpendicular to the 3 we are familiar with.
edit on 1/3/2016 by eNumbra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 09:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

originally posted by: Signals
Time will stop when the last Human alive takes his last breath.

It is a human invention.

We would have never existed then.

Who says we ever did?

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 09:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Signals

Wow.
Mind...blown.

Not really. I went through that phase about 40 years ago.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 09:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

You're older than I thought. What phase are you in now? Browse and debunk phase?

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 11:21 PM
link   
No time and dark matter existed in the time domain b4 the big bang and is probably the cause for the big bang
a reply to: piney

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 11:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Signals
a reply to: Phage

You're older than I thought. What phase are you in now? Browse and debunk phase?

The realizing that some concepts are pointless to consider stage. Concepts like "Wow. Do I really exist?"
The application of critical thinking stage.

edit on 1/3/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 11:59 PM
link   
A better question would be - how fast does time go?

We as observers witness passage of time but if there is no observer it will be as if time has not passed or it passed infinitely fast.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 12:24 AM
link   

1 second per second.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 03:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: eNumbra

1 second per second.

Here but not everywhere

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Motion and activity of mind and body, changes our PERCEPTION of time, not the actual speed at which time passes. The reason for this change in perception is that activity and movement create different neurochemical circumstances in the brain, than sedentary pursuits, and so we seem to operate within a changing sphere of time, even though time itself operates at a constant rate.

For example, let us say that we have an atomic clock in the room. An atomic clock is the most accurate type of clock there is, and this is because it measures the release of a particle, by an isotope, which it does in a VERY regular fashion. The count of those particles being emitted, is what allows the precise measurement of time, relative to an unchanging constant. If you have a boring time when next to an atomic clock, time will seem to drag, and if you are active and enjoying yourself a bit, you will find that the time has passed quickly, and yet, that clock, because it measures particle emission, will never have changed pace. A second is always precisely one second long. The question is how we perceive time, rather than the rate at which it passes.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 09:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: ZeussusZ

originally posted by: eNumbra

1 second per second.

Here but not everywhere

Barring being stuck on the edge of a black hole...

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Does time stop at a traffic light? No...so...no.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 01:08 PM
link   

am I able to find a position in space where I am not in motion with any celestial bodies

Would time stop then and there?

I don`t think you can find a position in space where you are not in motion. If the universe is expanding as suggested, then it is always in motion so you as a human being are one of the least important variables to have an impact on it.

As for time, we still argue what is it. We believe it is linear but what we can observe it appears to be cyclical. So which one is it then?
Only thing we can agree on is that it measures this motion of the universe. Regarding the measurement of the time I have to agree on that this is purely a human invention and obviously flawed.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 08:38 PM
link   
I believe that time is a relative function. Since we all live on Earth our inner clocks are tuned to the Earth's clock.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join