It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If motion stops will time stop?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

"Time is an illusion."

With all due respect.....I call bull hockey on that idea! I know darned good and well it's 5:OO pm somewhere! Pour me another drink please!

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: piney

God exists at a point in the space time continuum where there is no motion. It is by definition a point so huge it encompasses the entire universe and as such it exists in an entirely different dimension, one which entirely encompasses our three dimensional universe. And, it is, by definition, pure existence......energy without motion. Isness.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

It's called Akasha.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Yes.
Put it like this, when time stops, do things still move? No, they don't.
Pause a film and nothing moves. Time is a measure of motion.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Time is not a real thing, its a concept invented by man and our time reference is only applicable to our solarsystem to meassure how long it takes our earth to orbit the sun and revolve one time.

Since time is just a concept it would not stop if motion stopped, it would just be another concept thay meassured differently.
Energy would still evolve and transform regardless as the energy that makes up atoms and electrons doesnt give a damn about time.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: AdmireTheDistance

Time is interwoven with space (space-time), so regardless of what physical point you occupied in the universe, time would still keep moving forward.

This. Objects in space held motionless relative to each other? Thats impossible for one, but if it were possible and everything froze, even your thoughts, things would still pass the time.

Be boring, though. Time would slow to a crawl, seemingly.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Treestyle

Yes.
Put it like this, when time stops, do things still move? No, they don't.
Pause a film and nothing moves. Time is a measure of motion.

Motion is a measurement during the passage of time. Because the film stops doesn't mean time does. Like if the clock on the wall stopped, that doesn't effect the passage of time.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 01:37 PM
link   

to be relative to einstein's theory...?
that's why I'm thinking if everything in the universe stopped moving- nothing we currently know about would actually materialize, we wouldn't even be aware of our non-existence?

we exist because we're going at the least; the speed of light as we soar through the heavens!

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

How can we have energy without motion? The very definition of energy is the ability to do work, or the ability to move or elicit change in matter. In effect, the amount of energy something has refers to its capacity to cause things to happen.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 03:08 PM
link   

I think we can effect time and we are all time travellers. I fell out of a tree once and had all the time in the world to catch the branches on the way down. Time is subjective experience and I slowed it down.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Einstein tells us that motion is relative to an observer. Multiple observers (multiple frames of reference) can measure motion differently, it all depends upon relationships between the observed and the observer/s (that is why it is called "Relativity").

Also your personal perception of time is not the time that Physicists refer to. Physical time is a size of 'spacetime' measured along the axis of time (a fourth spatial dimension). To simplify measurement, one second is equivalent to 299,792,458 meters, dimensionally.

Why would you think that motion makes time and that time would stop if motion stopped?

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 07:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

Einstein tells us that motion is relative to an observer. Multiple observers (multiple frames of reference) can measure motion differently, it all depends upon relationships between the observed and the observer/s (that is why it is called "Relativity").

Also your personal perception of time is not the time that Physicists refer to. Physical time is a size of 'spacetime' measured along the axis of time (a fourth spatial dimension). To simplify measurement, one second is equivalent to 299,792,458 meters, dimensionally.

Why would you think that motion makes time and that time would stop if motion stopped?

Doesn't Einstein also tell us that time, space, motion and velocity are intertwined?

I think what the OP is saying is that if there is no motion, of anything, that time would become a constant and be fixed at zero. The reason time and space are linked with motion is because in any coordinate based system, whether you measure a photon or a planet, the motion is measured by the change in distance that some travels. Time is derived from what we have constructed (seconds, minutes, hours) to determine the change in space between those coordinates. If nothing is moving, there is no change in space to determine, thus velocity would also be zero, and time would still be fixed at zero.

I don't think the OP is asking if time would cease to exist without motion... what it sounds like is would time "stop" if motion did, and if you're going on Einstein and relativity, it would remain constant at zero if there were absolutely no motion.

Does time only exists because or our relative perception of the movement of the rest of the universe? It's like asking if a second is REALLY a second, since it is merely an archetype we use to create divisible units of "time" to explain and measure our experience of life. Seconds don't really exist, just like inches don't... they are numerical representations to best explain our physical existence.

~Namaste

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Don't think that if all motion stopped then time would stop, I do think that if time stopped then all motion would stop.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 08:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: SonOfTheLawOfOne

originally posted by: chr0naut

Doesn't Einstein also tell us that time, space, motion and velocity are intertwined?

I think what the OP is saying is that if there is no motion, of anything, that time would become a constant and be fixed at zero. The reason time and space are linked with motion is because in any coordinate based system, whether you measure a photon or a planet, the motion is measured by the change in distance that some travels. Time is derived from what we have constructed (seconds, minutes, hours) to determine the change in space between those coordinates. If nothing is moving, there is no change in space to determine, thus velocity would also be zero, and time would still be fixed at zero.

I don't think the OP is asking if time would cease to exist without motion... what it sounds like is would time "stop" if motion did, and if you're going on Einstein and relativity, it would remain constant at zero if there were absolutely no motion.

Does time only exists because or our relative perception of the movement of the rest of the universe? It's like asking if a second is REALLY a second, since it is merely an archetype we use to create divisible units of "time" to explain and measure our experience of life. Seconds don't really exist, just like inches don't... they are numerical representations to best explain our physical existence.

~Namaste

The dimensional concept of time means that time would be entirely static. Our perception of a 'flow' of time is just our perception when in fact it would be all in existence from earliest times to the end of time. It is only our brief light that shines upon an instant.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 08:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: OuttaHere
Actually, it's the other way around. The FASTER you go, the slower time goes. When you go as fast as a particle of light, then time stops. Which is interesting, because it means that light itself does not experience time. Which is also weird because we know that light itself also moves through time. It is a paradox and we have no idea why it works the way it does. All we know is that motion/time/gravity are inextricably intertwined.

Light can be influenced, contained and even inverted by enough mass or gravitational forces. So can spacetime.

There is where the future of possibilities lies.

But not for us...

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 08:29 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

I agree about our perception of time, that's what probably bakes most people's noodles.

If all energy in my body stopped (the observer), but everything around me continued (the observed), time is still moving forward to any other observer (for example another atom).

If all energy in the universe stopped (observed), but the energy in my body didn't (observer), everything else is static but time still moves forward for the observer (me).

If all energy in the universe stopped AND included both the observed and the observers, time would still exist but would not be continuing to move in any direction.

Since energy will never stop moving, there is probably no way to ever say whether or not time would stop but it's a fun thought experiment.

~Namaste

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 08:34 PM
link   
I suspect there are two aspects of time. One pushed by Einstein called time dilation the other is our individual perception of time.

When you compare the movements of a giant tortoise that lives 190 years to that of a Humming Bird which lives 5 years they seem to be operating at totally different time frequencies to one another. Eastern religions tell its our breath that regulates our sensation of time. By slowing our breath we can slow our perception of time and live longer.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 08:41 PM
link   
a reply to: SonOfTheLawOfOne

If all energy in my body stopped (the observer),

Um. You would be dead. And indeed, time would move forward in a rather unpleasant manner.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Time will stop when the last Human alive takes his last breath.

It is a human invention.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 08:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Signals
Time will stop when the last Human alive takes his last breath.

It is a human invention.

We would have never existed then.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join