It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Forum Implodes

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Note: I'm not sure this is really a "rant" because I'm not particularly upset about it. Frankly, I really don't have a dog in the fight even, other than the belief of balance to any debate. However, given the volatile nature of the subject it didn't seem appropriate to post it in 'chit chat'. Anyway...

-------------------------

I guess it’s not really epic, nor will it make the daily news across the empire, but it is somewhat notable (at least here anyway) that tonight a forum died.

I post this not to take exception to the will of the owners, it is their wish (and we are hear at their wish). Nor do I post this to grind an axe one way or another on the subject matter of the fallen forum. There, I have both my skepticism as well as my concurrence. The subject matters not.

What is interesting however is the extent to which some went to defend the notion some (any) debate would be allowed, and how deference and balance was granted to all members. Ultimately the frustration rose to the boiling point, and a thread was posted to discuss it (well, kind of anyway). There were a number of insightful posts, and a number of trolling posts. There were numerous admonishments for attention to T&C’s; there were points and counter-points.

One thing became increasingly clear; despite all claims to the contrary, site management really did have a position on the subject, and it was clear there was no “conspiracy” in their opinion. This posture seemed at odds with the very title of the sub-forum itself. This begs the question of what was the purpose of the forum to begin with (?).

And so, at the end of the day, it was clearly stated; there would be no more debate on the subject. The case was closed, and the forum along with it. Perhaps it is best in the end, but at least for my part it makes me wonder why some worked so hard to defend / welcome opposing viewpoints when it is quite clear those viewpoints were neither welcome nor appropriate in their eyes. In fact they seemed to cause great strain and consternation.

For my part life will go on. I too saw many of the extremes which were pointed out on both sides of the discussions related to the forum. Equally I am sympathetic to the moderators and staff for having to mediate such a daily melee. Though honestly I feel some of the symptoms cited are not reflective of the subject, but rather more a statement about modern society and behavior in an anonymous forum, which are exhibited in numerous other places here on ATS.

In any case, tonight a forum died. Should we mourn the loss of a silly discussion forum? Likely not, but one is left to wonder if it is a bellwether of things to come.

All the best.

edit on 1/3/2016 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 01:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I don't believe the forum has closed. What's happened is you can't put up new threads, but can post on existing ones. Which, in my opinion, makes sense. Most of what's "new" has been posted numerous times by different people.

I'm sure if there was a new theory, argument, debate that the owners/mods would make an exception to make a new thread.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 01:10 AM
link   

More like crucified with a promise to return if we believe.
Frankly, it's become so reptitious it seems like more of a chant.

edit on Ram10316v13201500000057 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 01:10 AM
link   
a reply to: TerryDon79

Perhaps you are correct. It matters little though. Most of the threads there have degenerated to the point of no return, so one must ask what would be the point.

In the end, the net result is the same.

Please don't get me wrong; I'm not taking exception to the action itself (in fact, in many ways I agree with it), but more making note of the institutional posture associated with the subject...and the wonder of why it ever existed to begin with.

+20 more 
posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 01:23 AM
link   
This site is kind of like the owner's home.

He ask that people no longer put their feet on the furniture.

Some people act like its up for debate. It is not.

His house, his rules. Hope that helps.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 01:26 AM
link   
a reply to: whyamIhere

Wasn't looking for help really. That, or insight; merely sharing a sentiment, a thought.

I am acutely aware of the 'their house, their rules' concept.

Thanks though.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 01:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
a reply to: whyamIhere

Wasn't looking for help really. That, or insight; merely sharing a sentiment, a thought.

I am acutely aware of the 'their house, their rules' concept.

Thanks though.

Sorry, wasn't trying to be a jerk. I've seen stuff like this before.

The forum will be back when people stop the names.

I only read some of it. I quit posting in that forum long ago.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 02:00 AM
link   

The forum isnt dead that's news to me, the plan is to reopen it if all the offending parties can well stop offending.

(post by NpcHunter13 removed for a manners violation)

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 02:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: whyamIhere
This site is kind of like the owner's home.

He ask that people no longer put their feet on the furniture.

Some people act like its up for debate. It is not.

His house, his rules. Hope that helps.

The only issue I saw was blaming the members. House rules apply, but when you blame your visitors for ruining your house, your house needs better rules, not different visitors.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 02:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

That doesn't make sense.

People weren't following the rules what would better rules do?

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 02:23 AM
link   
a reply to: NpcHunter13

POST REMOVED BY STAFF

Thank you for being a perfect example of why the forum was redirected in the first place. Debate the topics, not the people. I hope a mod sees this.

I think users should be held accountable for what they say. If there is a pool of individuals whom can't help but express their strong negativity towards other users, they should get warnings, and then temporary bans. Period. If people can't debate the topics and continue to attack individuals, then they serve no purpose being on this site at all.
edit on 3-1-2016 by Aedaeum because: (no reason given)

edit on Sun Jan 3 2016 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 02:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Aedaeum

Debate the topics, not the people.

Just playing devils advocate here. It is debate the topic, not each other. Believe it or not, there is a bit of difference. He may be able to skate by because he didn't direct it towards an individual.

I hope a mod sees this.

Did you use the Alert feature? If not then they probably will not.
edit on 3-1-2016 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 02:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

I wasn't calling out his post to say "Oh look, his post needs to be removed". It was more of "Please look at the incredible irony here". If they realize it's a user issue and not a forum issue, I think they might be able to do something about it. It's just a matter of... Is it easier to close the forum or get in contact with all the offending parties...?

I more or less wanted a mod to possibly gain a different perspective, is all.

Cheers on the devils advocate though, I liked it

+13 more 
posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 02:45 AM
link   

Familiarity breeds contempt. Folks forget that when you sign-up here there is an expectation that you will engage in civil discourse. Unfortunately some folks come from the Facebook, GLP, twitter, LiveLeak, YouTube etc side of the fence where profanities and attacks on members is common-place. They somehow forget that ATS prides itself on being far beyond that and somewhat relies on it's membership to be civil and "a cut above the rest" in regards to online correspondence.

Unfortunately the forum you mention now has given Bill et al pause for thought as to whether or not it's all worth it because those popular threads go to the front page which gets a global viewership. When the rhetoric is down-right pathetic and demeaning, it brings the whole "diplomacy and professionalism" of the site down to the same level as the aforementioned sites....and that is simply unacceptable.

Every member has a responsibility to maintain a degree of decorum when conversing on ATS - there are no exceptions. Also, whether one believes that the owners are bias towards the official events of 11th September 2001, I still appreciate being able to voice my own opinion on the events of that day - I've never had a post removed and my posting history is certainly not in line with what officialdom has put out there.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 02:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

That's just my personal opinion on the matter. I don't want to and won't go any further.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 02:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

Exactly the point I was alluding to. We have a whole generation of users logging in who don't even know what the word "decorum" means... They think their opinion is the only one that matters and tell everyone to "go fly a kite" (child-safe version) if anyone views differently. It's appalling and takes away from all the real intellects on this site who have something to offer.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 03:31 AM
link   
I have been taking a little time off from ATS for the holidays and perhaps also my sanity. Could someone give a quick synopsis of what happened? I must have missed something.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 03:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

You did see my 2nd to last paragraph, right? As well as my post(s) about social media in SO's thread, correct?

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 04:53 AM
link   
It's closed for good?

ATS has closed the 9-11 forum?

ERM... Slightly suspect.

I wonder what the agenda behind this is? Because the racist Middle East forum prospers.

EDIT- Oh wait, perhaps I should have clicked the forum to see if it actually had closed.
edit on 3-1-2016 by and14263 because: (no reason given)

new topics

<<   2  3 >>

join