It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: Armed militia occupies forest reserve HQ in Oregon, call ‘US patriots’ to arms

page: 27
<< 24  25  26    28  29  30 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 12:09 PM
link   
One of the guys involved is Jon Ritzheimer - the crybaby who did the video in which he sobs about how he misses his family but has to take up the fight.

It's the same guy who organised armed protests in front of a mosque, wearing a 'f*** islam" T-shirt.
Seems to be a professional instigator.

After the mosque protests he 'felt threatenend' and started a kickstarter, asking for 10 millions (!) to protect his family. He made a whopping 300 $.

And no surprise he does not seem to be the brightest one (starts at 2:50)

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I don't think the Bundy clan and associated militia are going to be winning any additional support from the local community. Especially the families that are scrambling for sitters or having to miss work, in order to watch their children that would otherwise be at school this week.

Also, I wanted to post a link to this Oregon Public Broadcasting article that explains a bit more backstory to the Bundy/militia mindset.
From the linked article:

The man identifying as Captain Moroni said he was inspired by the call, and that the inspiration was validated by God in the form of a flock of geese he saw flying.

“I just knew it was the right thing [to come to Oregon],” Captain Moroni said. “I’m willing to die here.”

edit on 1/4/2016 by Olivine because: edit

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: BatheInTheFountain

They didn't charge them again ala Double Jeopardy, the prosecution appealed the judges decision at a higher court
Because the appeal was brought to court after the period in which they had already served they were asked to return to the sheriff to serve the rest of their sentence.
The judge who ruled initially felt that the minimum 5 year term was too harsh a punishment for the crime committed which he felt violated the men's 8th amendment to cruel and unusual punishment and lowered the sentences accordingly.
The higher court felt the initial ruling to be unlawful as they felt the minimum 5 year term was not unusual or cruel and they were sentenced to the minimum term.
They should have just appealed that decision to a higher court and brought the original judge in as a witness.
This is not going to help their cause and by the sounds of it, they didn't want the militia's help in the 1st place.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 12:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: Dragoon01

Thats why the original judge ruled that the crimes they were charged with (terrorism) were not justified with 5 years of incarceration.

They were not charged with terrorism. They were charged with arson on federal property. The minimum sentence for arson on federal property is 5 years. The first judge did not have the authority to reduce the minimum sentence so they were resentenced.

Whether or not the original conviction (arson) was valid is moot. They were convicted.

Just for reference

The jury convicted both of the Hammonds of using fire to destroy federal property for a 2001 arson known as the Hardie-Hammond Fire, located in the Steens Mountain Cooperative Management and Protection Area. Witnesses at trial, including a relative of the Hammonds, testified the arson occurred shortly after Steven Hammond and his hunting party illegally slaughtered several deer on BLM property. Jurors were told that Steven Hammond handed out “Strike Anywhere” matches with instructions that they be lit and dropped on the ground because they were going to “light up the whole country on fire.” One witness testified that he barely escaped the eight to ten foot high flames caused by the arson. The fire consumed 139 acres of public land and destroyed all evidence of the game violations. After committing the arson, Steven Hammond called the BLM office in Burns, Oregon and claimed the fire was started on Hammond property to burn off invasive species and had inadvertently burned onto public lands. Dwight and Steven Hammond told one of their relatives to keep his mouth shut and that nobody needed to know about the fire.

www.justice.gov...

Hammond, 24, softspoken and clean cut, explained how his first-ever deer hunt near Frenchglen turned to arson after his uncle Steve Hammond passed out boxes of strike-anywhere matches to the four-man hunting party.

“Light the whole countryside on fire,” Dusty said his uncle told him. “I started lighting matches.”

Afterwards, he said, over lunch his grandfather and uncle instructed him to “keep my mouth shut; nobody needed to know anything about the fire.”

www.opb.org...

The government said they spent $600,000 fighting fires the Hammonds set. Defense argued that most of the fires were set by lightning.

www.thewildlifenews.com...

Last year it looks like the Hammond ranch was sold for 3 Million + 500k (two parcels)
whitneylandcompany.com...

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Olivine

Phew I was going to question the cap but after it was validated by geese flying it's all good.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: svetlana84

I saw that video. So he's a sobbing mess because he's voluntarily breaking the law and putting his own life in danger?

Wut?

Dude, other people need that wood, put the damn cross down already.

If I was in charge of everything (it'd be awesome, trust me fellas) -- I'd just ignore them. They want a reaction from the government, and if I was the government...I'd ignore them. I wouldn't raise a finger or bat an eye. They want to pretend to be soldiers and run around in the woods? Fine.

I'd let them play Cub Scout camp-a-thon until they ran out of food or water. I'd just set a perimeter around the place out of gun range and not allow anyone in/out. They want to show how tough they are? I'd give them about a week after their food ran out before they tried to sneak away.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 12:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: clay2 baraka
The reports of the "militia" bringing children into this seriously trouble me. Are they seriously trying to re-enact Waco in order to spark a larger conflict in order to inspire other like minded individuals to take up arms?..

I cannot help but see the parallels to ISIS who deliberately target the west in hopes of sparking a war between Islam and the Infidels. In order to bring about the end times..

The actions of these "militiamen" are strikingly similar.

Terrorism indeed..

It's the Bundy MO. They did that last time they aimed snipers at federal agents, they even stated that on record after, saying they knew the kids being there would stop the federal agents from using weapons against them.

They use their own kids as Human shields, which is just one more example of how sick in the head these people are.

Imagine when those kids grow up, probably after enduring being in those families only until they could leave of their own accord, and seeing how their own parents deliberately used them in that way.

It's disgusting.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Jon Ritzheimer is about as radical as they get, and he's dangerous because he's pretty much entirely delusional. This is a guy who clearly has mental health issues, but pointing that out to him or attempting to assist him in any way is only going to reinforce his paranoia that he's "under attack".

No matter what you do with a guy like this there is no rationalizing with them.

We see a lot of people here like that too. If you disagree or challenge their beliefs in any way you have to be a "government agent" or a "shill", if you suggest they might actually just have a psychological issue or delusion you're part of the "conspiracy" against them.

Unfortunately, this is only going in one direction. He's clearly becoming increasingly dangerous and becoming increasingly threatening in his behavior. He's gone from trying to incite violence during protests against Islam to making threats against his own government and joining a cell of other radicals actually taking action against the state.

It should be pointed out that this man is now in the company of other extremely unstable individuals who all feel marginalized, threatened and "under attack". We have this guy who is obviously delusional, then you have the Bundy brothers who are just extremely angry and religiously deluded who believe even local state governments are "out to get" people. And then you have people like Moroni too, who is clearly a religious extremist believing in "martyrdom".

Now imagine all these men, all sitting around together, all getting each other more and more angry, all reinforcing their hatred and their own delusions about how they are "unfairly" treated...

That location needs to be shut down. Everyone coming out of there needs to be arrested. No one should be allowed to enter that reserve without the federal govt knowing who they are and why they are entering.

If nothing is done about these men I absolutely believe they will attack either a government building, a Muslim community or the general public. We do not need a professional psychological evaluation of these individuals to know that they are each a threat, and collectively they are a terrorist cell.

edit on 4-1-2016 by Rocker2013 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 01:09 PM
link   

AC thinks by siding with Islam he will be spared in the future. He denies sharia law even though we all know it does exist here in America and in other western based countries, and is growing exponentially. AC is not interviewing, he is attacking.
edit on pm131pmMon, 04 Jan 2016 13:09:40 -0600 by antar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: antar

AC thinks by siding with Islam he will be spared in the future.

Hey Antar!!

No way AC is spared. His only hope is to 'go' before Sharia shows up where he's at. I saw some video of what they do with guys like him. They walk them up flight after flight of stairs ... until that staircase ends in a fall.

What gets me is why he seems to be supporting people opposed to the way he is. Must be the money CNN throws at his pretty face.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: neformore
So, these heavily armed domestic terrorists...which country do you send them back to?

Who have they terrorized? Who have they killed? What attacks were they behind?

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 01:45 PM
link   
www.infowars.com...

A different viewpoint on this, what is interesting will be how obama spins it to fit his agenda on live tv tonight.

This IS NOT an act of domestic terrorism, it is NOT whitey privilege...

This is a peaceful protest against a very real issue.

edit on pm131pmMon, 04 Jan 2016 13:47:50 -0600 by antar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Rocker2013

Could you pin point in your armchair expertise what makes him crazy? You made a big long ranting post about his state of mental health but it only seemed to validate nothing on him and a bunch on you imo.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Wow, some interesting comments from this latest article published by Oregon Public Broadcasting:
What's next for the armed militiamen in Oregon?

“This refuge, from its very inception has been a tool of tyranny,” said Bundy. He believes the federal government overstepped its constitutional bounds in its original purchase of the land back in 1908.
The occupiers said their mission is to put the federal lands under local control, although it’s unclear by what means. Bundy said the protesters have a plan that will take “several months at the shortest to accomplish.”

Does anyone think law enforcement will allow this takeover to last months?

Protester LaVoy Finicum, an Arizona rancher, said they’re being careful not to damage buildings or property. He claimed the protesters accessed the buildings after they found a set of keys. The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service disputed that claim.

Mr. Hammond (Sr.?) is on his way to Los Angeles.

Susan Hammond said Sunday that her husband, Dwight, was already en route to Los Angeles to begin serving his sentence. The Hammonds are due to report to prison Monday morning.

More comments illuminating this "Capt. Moroni's mindset:

Captain Moroni said he participated in the 2014 Bundy Ranch standoff, and he was disappointed that more protesters did not arrive.

“I feel quite betrayed. It’s been on Facebook that everyone is going to come. And we show up, and everyone just craps out,” he said. “You come up here, ready to get killed if we have to and these people are just on Facebook about it.

I’m not here to shoot anyone, I’m here to get shot,” he said, while guarding the entrance to the refuge headquarters Sunday afternoon, patting his hands together for warmth near a sagebrush fire.

(Bolding is mine)

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

How embarrassing, they thought that all the armchair warriors were going to show up in a stance of solidarity, a few stragglers really are all that showed up. I wonder how those fb accounts are looking to the cause now? Seriously this is a good indication of just how much power the us gov does have over people and a clear message to the Patriots and Militias about their online contacts being all talk and no action. Social media can be helpful in some cases like we saw in other states for other causes, but this one was a big fail and a bad omen of times to come if and when the gov hidden agendas go into live mode against the citizens. I feel bad for these guys even if their plan was poorly thought out and executed. I also wonder how many of the no shows were from survivalist sites and the like that are in fact all talk?

Edit to add: Seems according to SQ site, National guard being called up to help fbi, not any negotiators... sooo, this could get bad soon, reminds me of the Gladiator "GAMES" of long ago, not slated to end well at all.

I know many have suggested as myself and even my normally un-involved ex hubby about agent provocateurs being at the heart of this, with that said I feel sorry for the fools who played into this. No organized Militia or Patriot group is taking any responsibility, knowledge or support.
edit on pm131pmMon, 04 Jan 2016 14:50:05 -0600 by antar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl
What gets me is why he seems to be supporting people opposed to the way he is. Must be the money CNN throws at his pretty face.

No, you're misunderstanding of course.
He isn't an irrational ranting right-wing nutbag so he forms his opinions through intelligence and common sense.
For example, he knows that Jihadists don't represent Muslims any more than abusing priests represent the Catholic church.

He actually understands (as many of us sane and rational people do) that the vast majority of Muslims are peaceful people who respect others - of course, if they weren't we would all know it by now considering millions of Muslims have lived in our countries happily for decades.

Now, when you compare who is actually attacking LGBT people in the US and other western nations, I have yet to see any Muslim group lobbying government, protesting in town halls or marching to pass laws allowing them to abuse LGBT people in employment, housing and government.

Now, who is doing that again? Oh yes, it's those Christians, led by their Republican politicians! All American of course.

So, when we have Muslim groups actually having people elected to pass laws encouraging hatred and bigotry, then you might have a platform. As it's currently the Republican Christians attacking the rights and liberties of LGBT people in your country and trying to entrench authoritarian Christian dogma in US politics, I think you need to go and grow some perspective.

Take your time, I know developing common sense and rationality can be a hard slog.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

You are the only one mentioning it. I said:

For me, I am glad there still are Americans (whether I agree with them or not) willing to take action to remind the rest of us we are a nation required to disagree from time to time.

It has nothing to do with you but it's still a free country so ramble on.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Olivine

The occupiers said their mission is to put the federal lands under local control, although it’s unclear by what means. Bundy said the protesters have a plan that will take “several months at the shortest to accomplish.”

Does anyone think law enforcement will allow this takeover to last months?

The thing is, they were all deluded enough to think that there was an army out there ready to give up their jobs, abandon their kids and travel to some random little town and square off with the government over some petty nonsense already proven to be absolutely reasonable.

They obviously had big and grand delusions about what would happen there, presumably making it some kind of big redneck commune. Obviously the numbers have been pathetic, along with the local community basically rejecting them entirely.

Whatever they did have planned won't happen. From the reports I've seen that initial 150 dwindled down to less than 20 on the same day. Most of those protesting went right back to their (subsidized) farming and lands after having their jolly little "lets get angry about the world!" revolutionary march.

I don't think they'll last months. In fact, I don't think they'll last until the end of February, and that's being generous. The FBI will sit outside watching them, get everyone on file for monitoring, then watch as they all leave with their tails between their legs.

originally posted by: Olivine
More comments illuminating this "Capt. Moroni's mindset:

"Captain Moroni said he participated in the 2014 Bundy Ranch standoff, and he was disappointed that more protesters did not arrive.

“I feel quite betrayed. It’s been on Facebook that everyone is going to come. And we show up, and everyone just craps out,” he said. “You come up here, ready to get killed if we have to and these people are just on Facebook about it."

(Bolding is mine)

Again, this just shows that there are a lot of people out there who have fantasies about "overthrowing" and "revolution" but when push comes to shove they know they have it pretty good and they know they just like to rant about the government. Dreaming about a revolution is a lot easier than actually participating in one.

These people just love having an enemy to scream about, they scream about "progressives", they scream about Muslims, they scream about Democrats, they scream about LGBT people, they scream about black people, they scream about all kinds of things because they are 100% tribal in their mindset and loathe anything outside of their own little select group. They're the very definition of the enraged little white man.

Hating the government and everything it stands for is just another branch of that loathing of the society around them, because it facilitates and represents that diverse society. They dream of a country where everyone is conservative, everyone believes in the same God, everyone lives by their standards and any deviation from that is met with harsh punishment.

Sound familiar? It should be, these so-called "Conservative Christians" are not at all unlike the Taliban in their limited fundamentalist thinking.

They are a minority of course, but they are a large one in the US.

What the US should be worried about is the extreme minority within the minority, the men like Ritzheimer who are delusional enough to act out, the people in self-described "militias" around the country (of which there are supposedly more now than in the past 40 years or so) who are radical enough to believe the noise in their little echo chamber. That's what Bundy was hoping for, that others would copy them and do the same thing, starting something bigger.

It would be sensible to watch social media for any hints of these radical groups popping up elsewhere in the coming days and weeks.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Dragoon01

I think arson is a crime, and if you do so on federal property, it is probably going to carry a heavier sentence.

They were never charged with terrorism, just got hit with a law that was under an anti terrorism act. Which involved the destruction of federal property.

Maybe Rosa should have just followed the law and rode in the back of the bus...

Please, what rosa did and what these guys are doing are hardly the same thing, they can't even get the support of the freaking people directly affected by this.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Rocker2013

Excellent assessments in your posts.

originally posted by: Rocker2013
The FBI will sit outside watching them, get everyone on file for monitoring, then watch as they all leave with their tails between their legs.

It would be sensible to watch social media for any hints of these radical groups popping up elsewhere in the coming days and weeks.

I would want this siege to end this way. I wonder, however, how far this group would go with martyrdom.

Yes, it will be interesting to see if other like-minded groups spring up and to see who will call them out.
edit on 4-1-2016 by desert because: clarity

top topics

<< 24  25  26    28  29  30 >>

join