It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gravity still Elusive?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 03:35 AM
link   
a reply to: CraftBuilder

National Geographic May 1989 is the only edition in the 80s on gravity. It starts off about a guy called Ephraim Fischbach and something about snakewood .
Weirdly enough, I was having a clean out today. 40yrs of Nats piled in hallway. Decided it was time for them to find a new home, maybe not now.

edit on 3-1-2016 by ZeussusZ because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-1-2016 by ZeussusZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 04:13 AM
link   
I believe that one day they will find that gravity and magnetism are the same.

For now the only thing they have in common as a fact is that they can't explain nor magnetism nor gravity

It's just a feeling though.

Maybe it's not such a big surprise that magnet/magnetism is used in almost every technological invention or
that the earth itself act as a giant magnet
and let's not talk about galaxies
or stars

Just a feeling those 2 mysterious forces are somehow linked. They are all two 'weak' forces on small scale but on a big scale they rule they universe (and i'm not talking about artificially created magnets)

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 04:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
We know how to measure gravity, we know many of the properties of gravity, but even the physicists do not really know what it is. There are many ideas out there, and maybe someday they will know, but I guess there are still things to be discovered. If we knew everything, science would not be needed. It would be a very boring world without the new things that we learn from science.

If a person thinks they know everything, then they probably need to go see a psychologist because you are obviously delusional.

To know everything is boring indeed but that will never happen i believe even if we knew what gravity is all about.
But you have to say it would give us a lot of new 'cool' technologies.
The only question then is do we really need all that knowledge and problems that comes with it? We humans are just out for destruction.
Let's get back to basics and let mother nature decides

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Before we can fully comprehend gravity we first need to explain space-time. General Relativity interprets gravity as curvature in four dimensional space time whereas M-Theory expresses spacetime with ten-dimensions. The Large Hadron Collider might prove M-Theory's Randall–Sundrum model as valid which would be a great leap forward in understanding why gravity is one of the weakest and strongest forces in nature.
edit on 3-1-2016 by glend because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 06:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Nochzwei

Look at it this way once humanity masters power over gravity and inertia there is really not that much stopping us from colonizing the rest of our star system and others.

Humanity in its present form, given our penchant for destruction, would be a hell of a genie to let loose from the bottle.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 06:39 AM
link   
I still don't get it. What's elusive about gravity? I think it is pretty obvious? Almost explaining itself.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 06:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: intergalactic fire
I believe that one day they will find that gravity and magnetism are the same.

For now the only thing they have in common as a fact is that they can't explain nor magnetism nor gravity

Who are they? People with inadequate physics education?

It's just a feeling though.

Maybe it's not such a big surprise that magnet/magnetism is used in almost every technological invention or
that the earth itself act as a giant magnet
and let's not talk about galaxies
or stars

Just a feeling those 2 mysterious forces are somehow linked. They are all two 'weak' forces on small scale but on a big scale they rule they universe (and i'm not talking about artificially created magnets)

And I've got a feeling that it is going to rain today.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 07:21 AM
link   
a reply to: moebius

Destruction in its purest form.
One of the problems this forum is getting worse by the minute, you should be proud.

They is referring to the common day scientists and it's community. There is yet to find a rational explanation of what magnetism is yes.

action at a distance, what? You're a sorcerer, it's all magic!
edit on 3-1-2016 by intergalactic fire because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 07:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

How's it obvious?

If it was so obvious why have we not harnessed this mysterious force yet?
edit on 3-1-2016 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 07:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

originally posted by: Nochzwei

originally posted by: chr0naut

The theories exist. The numbers add up and we don't appear to have any major holes in our understanding.

Someone thinks that a bucket of water negates all that?

I think bent space sounds right to me.

You cant be serious about depression in space or time.
which numbers add up?

Pretty much most of them.

Read the book: "Spacetime Physics" by John Archibald Wheeler or most modern Physics texts.

I'm sure it'll talk of bent space and space ain't bent by any stretch of imagination

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 07:37 AM
link   

One of the problems this forum is getting worse by the minute, you should be proud.

They is referring to the common day scientists and it's community. There is yet to find a rational explanation of what magnetism is yes.

So the forum would be better with people talking nonsense about physics, confusing magnetism with gravity like you do?

Magnetism is understood well enough to be useful, we can measure and calculate magnetic interaction with high precision and build devices exploiting it.

And from what we understand magnetism is very different from gravity.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 07:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

Look at it this way once humanity masters power over gravity and inertia there is really not that much stopping us from colonizing the rest of our star system and others.

Humanity in its present form, given our penchant for destruction, would be a hell of a genie to let loose from the bottle.
You will be surprised, it's right round the corner. Read the thread in my signature

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 08:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: moebius

So the forum would be better with people talking nonsense about physics, confusing magnetism with gravity like you do?

Magnetism is understood well enough to be useful, we can measure and calculate magnetic interaction with high precision and build devices exploiting it.

And from what we understand magnetism is very different from gravity.

What nonsense?

To exploit something is totally different from understanding something.

The question in the OP was :

Inviting everyone to give their theory of gravity, however wild it may sound.

Anything to contribute?

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 08:41 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

You do. Or what do you think keeps you from floating into space?
So, my question still stands, why would it be mysterious?

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 08:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
We know how to measure gravity, we know many of the properties of gravity, but even the physicists do not really know what it is. There are many ideas out there, and maybe someday they will know, but I guess there are still things to be discovered. If we knew everything, science would not be needed. It would be a very boring world without the new things that we learn from science.

If a person thinks they know everything, then they probably need to go see a psychologist because you are obviously delusional.

To know everything is boring indeed but that will never happen i believe even if we knew what gravity is all about.
But you have to say it would give us a lot of new 'cool' technologies.
The only question then is do we really need all that knowledge and problems that comes with it? We humans are just out for destruction.
Let's get back to basics and let mother nature decides

Yeah, basic internet is fine, we don't need 60 megabytes per second.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 09:33 AM
link   

"You do. Or what do you think keeps you from floating into space?"

We are held onto Earth by gravity, we do not float of into space because our weight is greater than the buoyancy of the air pushing down upon us.

"So, my question still stands, why would it be mysterious?"

Gravity is mysterious simply because all through we can observe the effect it has we sill as of yet cannot determine its composition. Gravity is an attractive force that acts between particles of matter. It can also act between quantities of energy. But the most mysterious aspect of Gravity seems to be that unlike the other forces of nature, gravity is intimately related to space and time.

Quite simply put gravity is indeed a mysterious force which humanity has yet to fully understand and comprehend in any meaningful manner.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Well if indeed the mystery's regarding gravity or a viable method of producing anti gravity is right round the corner you can be sure TPTB are not going to take it lightly.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 10:10 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

And you have a source for gravity acting on energy? I think you're confusing it with electro-magnetism. And a source for how it is related to space and time? Or do i just have to take your word for it, because you try to sound smart?

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Im not smart by any manner or means, im just not stupid enough to ever assume that we understand gravity or claim that its not mysterious.

Light is clearly affected by gravity, which if im not mistaken constitutes a form of energy.

Gravity effects energy all the time. Thats why when you throw a rock in the air it comes back to the ground, gravity is affecting/imposing on the rocks kinetic energy.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: ZeussusZ

Thanks, I'll start there. How were you able to access that info?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join