It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gravity still Elusive?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Here we are in the 21st century and the force of gravity, which we experience 24/7 remains elusive of proper definition or the nature and cause of it.
Lift a bucket of water and even a layman can tell you that all the weight he is feeling cannot be due to bent space.
Inviting everyone to give their theory of gravity, however wild it may sound.

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 09:26 PM
link   
We know how to measure gravity, we know many of the properties of gravity, but even the physicists do not really know what it is. There are many ideas out there, and maybe someday they will know, but I guess there are still things to be discovered. If we knew everything, science would not be needed. It would be a very boring world without the new things that we learn from science.

If a person thinks they know everything, then they probably need to go see a psychologist because you are obviously delusional.

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 09:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nochzwei
Lift a bucket of water and even a layman can tell you that all the weight he is feeling cannot be due to bent space.

I don't even know how to ask what the basis of this statement is.

I remember reading in an old 80's era NatGeo that researchers were trying to figure out why iron accelerated toward Earth slightly slower than other falling materials. I haven't heard if they got anywhere with that.

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 09:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Nochzwei

The theories exist. The numbers add up and we don't appear to have any major holes in our understanding.

Someone thinks that a bucket of water negates all that?

I think bent space sounds right to me.

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 09:59 PM
link   
The effect you feel from a bucket of water is precisely caused by a " depression" in the space/time fabric. This is due to the mass of the bucket and water. Nothing magical here. And , no we basically understand mass/gravity but not what gives that object mass in the first place.

The iron falling at a different rate could be caused by magnetic influence from outside.

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 10:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

They had ruled that out and were looking at irregular actions at the sub atomic level. I'll see what I can find about it.

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 10:20 PM
link   
a reply to: CraftBuilder

source on the iron.., iv never heard a credible source that gravity acts on objects different dependant upon material without it being a magnetic affect
edit on 2-1-2016 by ErosA433 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 10:24 PM
link   
a reply to: CraftBuilder

I remember reading in an old 80's era NatGeo that researchers were trying to figure out why iron accelerated toward Earth slightly slower than other falling materials.
Say what?

Sorry. I see I'm redundant but I had to respond to that.

edit on 1/2/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 10:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

I know, but it was one of the main articles in National Geographic's monthly issue and so it really stuck with me. It was so intriguing I even remember exactly where I was when I read it despite it being decades ago. I got the impression it was a pretty negligible difference and I remember included pictures of the extreme lab equipment required to make the measurements. Unfortunately I'm not finding reference to it yet but I will spend a bit more time.

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 11:06 PM
link   
I think gravity works in the same way lined up magnetic domains work to create a magnet, only they don't just line up, the synchronise their electron orbits

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 11:17 PM
link   
I'm trying to look at the 80's articles but the NatGeo site requires payed subscription. Any advice on where to view a complete archive of old issues, even just the contents on the covers would be helpful.

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Gravity exists because the universe sucks. Fact!

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 11:31 PM
link   
On a serious note, I thought that space curving had been demonstrated by seeing stars in different locations than expected if no curvature was happening, during eclipses in the '20's or '30's.

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 11:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

The theories exist. The numbers add up and we don't appear to have any major holes in our understanding.

You cant be serious about depression in space or time.
which numbers add up?
edit on 2-1-2016 by Nochzwei because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 12:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jonjonj
On a serious note, I thought that space curving had been demonstrated by seeing stars in different locations than expected if no curvature was happening, during eclipses in the '20's or '30's.

Does it not occur to you, that it has been only interpreted to be the curvature of space.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Gravity still Elusive?

I'll give you a hint/prophesy;
'Gravity' has been found to have intimate relations with 'time' and 'motion'!
Both physically and philosophically impossible!
We perceive a linear passing of Perspectives, and theorize/imagine 'time' and 'motion'.
One Perspective of the same thought as 'time' and 'motion', theorizes 'gravity'.
In a synchronous Universe, where all moments of existence exist simultaneously, where every moment is Here! Now! what would be 'motion'? Linearity? Gravity?
With a slight shift of Perspective, the apple forms from the dirt, gains substance and coherence, flies up and fastens to the branch, becoming a blossom and withdrawing into the tree! A season passing before repeating the cycle of the apple eating tree.
'Gravity, is a word that refers to a certain phenomenon as Perceived from a certain Perspective.
Like the word for when a unicorn launches into the sky as seen from an 'imaginary' Perspective.

There is One (unchanging, ALL inclusive) Universal Reality!

Every moment of existence exists Now!

"The Laws of Nature are not rules controlling the metamorphosis of what is, into what will be. They are descriptions of patterns that exist, all at once... " - Genius; the Life and Science of Richard Feynman
All 'eternity' at once; Here! Now!!

There is only one moment (Planck moment = 10^-43/sec; "almost" one billion trillion trillion trillionths of a second!!!) of the entirety of existence/Reality/the Universe!
All existence, ever, is one, literally, 'timeless' moment!
Now!

"Reality is a synchrony of moments!" - Book of Fudd

All moments are perceived Here! Now!
Even the imaginary 'future' and the mnemonic 'past', all perceived Here! Now!

In this 'Reality', how, exactly, can what the terms; 'gravity' and 'time' and 'motion' and 'evolution', for that matter, refer to, actually 'exist'?

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 12:32 AM
link   
a reply to: ErosA433

No source, and I'm certainly not stating it as fact. Its just something I read a very long time ago in a NatGeo article. I can't spend a lot of time tracking it down but I'll see if any of my friends kept their collection from the eighties.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 12:34 AM
link   

I am not smart enough to comprehend anything about gravity only to say that whatever it is it is happening to my butt and boobs!

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 01:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

You cant be serious about depression in space or time.
which numbers add up?

Pretty much most of them.

Read the book: "Spacetime Physics" by John Archibald Wheeler or most modern Physics texts.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 01:55 AM
link   

How is it elusive? It works to the fifth number after the comma. The rest could be relative to the spinning speed of the body.

NEWTON! NEWTON! GO GO NEWTON!
edit on 3-1-2016 by Peeple because: Added a joke

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join