It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2,986 Shooting Victims in Gun-Controlled Chicago During 2015

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 10:31 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Well actually, currently prohibited substances make a very good analogy for how to create efficient & fair gun laws... Since if the government just made every drug legal tomorrow with no exception, it would be a total disaster... But, just out right banning all drugs they deem as harmful has proven to be a total disaster also.

Whats needed is some common ground between out right prohibition and being out right legal... commonsense regulation is the answer to solving both these social issues.

edit on 2-1-2016 by Subaeruginosa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 10:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

Well actually, currently prohibited substances make a very good analogy for how to create efficient & fair gun laws.

Really?
While all federally specified illegal drugs are federally illegal, marijuana is not illegal in all states. Now what?

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 10:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Well actually, currently prohibited substances make a very good analogy for how to create efficient & fair gun laws.

Really?
While all federally specified illegal drugs are federally illegal, marijuana is not illegal in all states. Now what?

Legalize it federally and regulate it like alcohol, obviously... totally legalizing it so that school kids can also (legally) buy it would be a total disaster.

Just like gun laws... commonsense regulation, rather than total prohibition is whats needed.

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 10:59 PM
link   
I think Xuenchen's point is that illegal drugs are still smuggled at astronomical rates...

What's to stop guns being smuggled as well?

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 11:00 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs
So the answer is less regulation? Just let everyone who want a gun have one? As was pointed out, even legalized drugs have restrictions.

edit on 1/2/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 11:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

I was just clarifying Xuenchen's point that seemed to have been missed.

I have no answers, Phage.

Maybe direct the question to X.

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 11:06 PM
link   

What gun regulations would you recommend?
I was at a gun store this fall for an hour just to buy a new handgun. I already have a concealed carry permit, so it should not have taken so long.

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 11:07 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

Maybe direct the question to X.

In my experience that has shown to be less than conducive to rational discussion.

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 11:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22
I can't really answer that.
Gosh, a whole hour? That's terrible.

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 11:10 PM
link   

An hour filling out paperwork is terrible.
The local sheriffs department fingerprinted me and did a background check before I received my permit.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 12:18 AM
link   
a reply to: MagesticEsoteric

You all make me sad when I read the threads around here.

No one is forcing you to read any of this. Take your own advice and go do something you enjoy, instead of wasting your time here.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 12:30 AM
link   
I don't know if anyone else has said it yet but,

I believe the major issue is too lenient of a criminal justice system.

Simply put, punishments levied do not fit the crimes committed.

Personally, I have arrested many career convicted criminals for violent crimes and they serve very little prison time.

I will never forget one particular case. I arrested a guy for armed home burglary, aggravated assault with a deadly weapon (knife), battery (domestic violence) on a pregnant woman, and violation of injunction.

This guy, who had been convicted of other crimes (violent included), pled guilty to every charge. His punishment, a year in county jail!!!

He should have been locked away for decades. What are the chances that he will recidivate and kill someone? I would say pretty likely.

Probation for robberies, 2nd degree murder, voluntary manslaughter, etc.
projects.kansascity.com...

A must read. It is happening in courts all over America.

Pay particular attention to Cedric D. Ford. Shot and killed someone during a robbery. Receives probation.

He then violates that probation by participating in a seperate drive by shooting.

His punishment? 6 years!

edit on 3-1-2016 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 12:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel
I don't know, the culture and even the way of getting out of the culture is feeding fire to the cycle, even when it comes out it is still garbage, it's like throwing your pearls before swine, as when even if you uplift swine to loftier heights that wont solve the problem but create more of the same on a loftier level. An original sin that is, much more so then greed and lust and much more deadly it has been to civilizations past.

The whole cycle has to stop, no doupt or maybe it will burn itself out, which is not likely as in everything its all half assed, even the cirminals are a quarter assed, they dont like to put that much effort into this to give it there half assed.

But if they intend on being and acting like animals then they should be treated like animals, and like any wild mad animal they should get put down. Cant be that poor if they can afford them guns and gold chains and escalades and everything now can they? A whole culture created out of delusions and illusion. Well its not the first or last, as all are, but this obviously has to stop.

However saying that considering all the variables involved and humans involved in this place in this area called Chicago it does seem like 2,986 shooting victims is about right. In some instances may even be called progress, or maybe we should try to get that number down to at least 500 or so per year.

This whole problem contrary has not been solving itself, as some have said. Who knows why, maybe they lack the courage to kill themselves off in higher numbers, or maybe they are living in there gansta's paradise and don't want to end it. Or maybe a thousand other things.

Or we can just quarantine these places separate the bad apples from the good and then nuke the whole place...Just joking...But then again. There is this. Just another year on planet earth that's what 2,986 shooting victims says to me.

edit on 12amSundayam032015f0amSun, 03 Jan 2016 00:58:36 -0600 by galadofwarthethird because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 01:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

So the answer is less regulation? Just let everyone who want a gun have one?

What regulations would you like to see?
Who would you like to see prevented from owning a gun?
And last but not least, please explain how your proposed regulations would've prevented any of the recent mass shootings or the gun violence in inner cities.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 01:04 AM
link   
a reply to: TorqueyThePig

Of course the criminal justice system can't be putting these violent offenders (who clearly deserve hard time) away for long periods... They simply can't offered to.

Not when there to busy trying to "make an example" of people who grow a few plants in there back yard and other low level drug offenders.

If you have such an issue with the injustice of how violent offenders are prosecuted, then I suggest you start motivating your mates to go public and protest against all the time and money spent by you guys being obligated to waste on low level drug offenders.

Problem solved... if only the police would actually have the balls to publicly speak out about it.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 01:10 AM
link   

First of all, I am pro legalization and talk about it all the time outside of the internet.

Second of all, low level drug offenders are not the reason why violent offenders are not punished properly.

As for rallying police to speak out against prohibition, you mean like this www.leap.cc...

Let's be honest, do you think the average police officer has the ability to influence such legislative change?

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 01:13 AM
link   
a reply to: jhn7537
Maybe they cant afford fireworks and just decided to use the trusty glock to celebrate the new year. This is not so much a indication of crime, more or less of stupidity, hopefully there aiming in the air at the least. But who knows eh.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 01:19 AM
link   

lol, so are you trying to claim guns a smuggled out of the US to mexico, to only be smuggled back to Chicago by the Mexican drug cartels? I would have thought most criminals would have done it the most logical way, by buying guns in the US where they are easier to obtain legally for the illegal market... but maybe I'm just making no sense.

You would assume wrong if you think they would have done it by the most logical means. So ya the guns are smuggled to Mexico, only to be smuggled back and sold by covert means in ghettos, but off course that just means the cartels still get to get the pick of the shipments.

Stranger things have happened indeed, logic plays little part in the short picture looking out, but in the bigger picture looking in. It tends to generally make sense.

edit on 1amSundayam032015f0amSun, 03 Jan 2016 01:24:43 -0600 by galadofwarthethird because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 01:32 AM
link   
a reply to: TorqueyThePig

When I went to court (for 2 plants in the backyard), the place was just packed with petty drug offenders... There's only so much people jail can handle... I mean, all jails have a capacity rate, right?

Just imagine how much easier it would be for the judge to give appropriate sentences to actual hardened criminals, if they didn't spend over half there day dealing with petty drug offenders... Just saying.

Gang member's, violent offenders and people possessing illegal guns would all be getting much longer sentences, if it wasn't for these stupid drug laws... Who could deny that?

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Most people in prison for marijuana offenses were involved in more than just possession of a personal amount (i.e. burglary, robbery, possession of illegal firearm, violation of probation from a previous charge, etc.).

Did you get prison time for possessing two plants?

That said, I agree that legalization will free up money, resources, and space.

However, I stand by my statement that prohibition is not the reason for judges being too lenient on violent offenders.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join