It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2,986 Shooting Victims in Gun-Controlled Chicago During 2015

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 09:33 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

Not the same, as you probably know. What do you want to hear? Yeah, you should have starved the Irish into migrating over here a couple hundred years sooner. Yes, we should have heeded the advice of our founders and kept certain merchants and their wares, out of our nation. Now do you have anything constructive to add or just the usual? You are not influencing anyone's point of view. Now I'm going to have a nice Canadian whiskey then make sweet love to my wife. Goodnight.

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 09:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: wildb
I think it is a Constitutional right in the US to own guns.
I think it is Constitutional for limits to be placed on who can legally own guns.

Thank you for your reply , before I comment are you from the usa..? I need to be clear on that...

link   
This is what New Years Eve looks like in Englewood neighborhood of Chicago... yes, Englewood is one of the worst in Chicago, which easily makes it one of the worst in the country... Around 1:45 (when midnight hits) shots start going off crazy, but from this squad car you can hear them all throughout the video..

edit on 2-1-2016 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: ChesterJohn
a reply to: xuenchen

And how many of those shooting involved Police officers?

Police involved shootings 2015:

9 people killed / 16 wounded

The police are overwhelmed.

heyjackass

link   

originally posted by: introvert
a reply to: Edumakated

I believe I am mistaken on the statistics. I'm not beyond admitting that. (It's been a long day with two board meetings)

But I have to agree with this:

If we are serious about reducing gun violence, then we first must address the break down of the family. Gun control is merely addressing a symptom of a much larger problem.

Poverty and education have a lot to do with that, wouldn't you agree?

Yes, I agree that poverty and education are certainly important issues. However, poverty alone does not cause violence. Many many people rise up out of poverty. They also go on to get good educations as well. In my experience, strong families is often enough to overcome being raised in poverty. Having a father around. Having a mother. Being told that school is important. Having that person forcing someone to do their homework instead of hanging out in the streets. This is why I keep saying the breakdown of the family is the root cause because all the other things like poverty and education can be overcome with strong family units.

Here is a video of Mannie Fresh, one of the greatest hip hop producers of all time. At about 40 seconds, the interviewer asks him about growing up in the hood and he basically says that it didn't matter because he had a mother and father who kept him focused. This is my point. I can find video after video where people say the same thing and also where they state "My dad wasn't around which was why I got in trouble..."

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 09:38 PM
link   

I agree.
If poverty and education where the only reason, every trailer park in the country would be a war zone.

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 09:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: jhn7537
This is what New Years Eve looks like in Englewood neighborhood of Chicago... yes, Englewood is one of the worst in Chicago, which easily makes it one of the worst in the country... Around 1:45 (when midnight hits) shots start going off crazy, but from this squad car you can hear them all throughout the video..

I'm about five blocks from the border of Austin... sounds exactly the same on the West Side of the city.

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 09:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vroomfondel

a reply to: Vroomfondel

How would you explain the criminal acts of big banks and their billion dollar schemes?

Greed.

That is quite different than crime of poverty.

The amount of people impoverished in Chicago, only a city, is almost half that of the entire population of the neighboring state of Iowa.

You don't see a problem there? Why would you steal a loaf of bread when you can kill someone for their gold chain, pawn it and feed yourself for a month?

Poverty is the issue.

Actually, greed and poverty are two places on the same scale. Both think they should have more than they do. And both are willing to commit crime to get it.

There are a lot of poor people who do not commit crime. More than those who do. If you had any idea at all what you were talking about, you would stop now. But that isn't going to happen is it...

You should see the thugs you are talking about first hand, up close and personal, like I do. Remember, I live here. These guys have gold chains falling out their butts, which are permanently exposed for the world to see. They have grills and bling and air jordans for every day of the week. You give them a gold chain to pawn, they wont buy bread with it. They will buy another gun. obama feeds the kids for them. As long as momma keeps having babies the family gets a raise every year. That is the mentality and there is no job that will change that.

You really have no idea what you are talking about. Honestly, its not just disliking you. You really have no clue.

You do a really good job of pointing out the problems, as Introvert has asked many times in this thread, what are the solutions?

link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

The "surrounding" areas are just "Meet & Drop" points.

The majority of guns here (Chicago) are smuggled in from Mexico with the drugs.

Drugs are a multi-billion dollar business in Chiraq.

The police here took in over 7,000 "illegal" guns in 2015.

The failed results speak for themselves.

link   

Oh yea, the Austin neighborhood is no cake walk...lol

Just crazy, these idiots dont know that all these bullets need to land somewhere... When midnight hits, it literally sounds like a war zone battleground...

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 09:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: MagesticEsoteric

originally posted by: MagesticEsoteric

originally posted by: IAMTAT
Sad stats.
Don't expect liberals to pay any attention to them. They'll just make excuses...or ignore them.

Let's address the issue. Bring ideas to the table.

Taking low-blows at your political adversaries does not produce results.

LOL!!!!

Ummmkayyy!

Can you not see the irony at all?

lol

Are you interested in a solution, or is this just going to be another thread where we play the same ole game of political back and forth? This issue goes beyond politics, but I see that some cannot get past that.

Point must have been lost on you my friend....I'm trying to get beyond the same ole game. I'm sick to death of it...perhaps the message got lost upon delivery somehow...

I'm sick to #ing death of the same ol' same ol'...

Status #ing quo doesn't work anymore...I know that.

What are your answers then, you have offered no solution to the problem, or even a mere idea on how to stop it.

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 09:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

originally posted by: Edumakated

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa
Having strict gun laws in just one state, which is surrounded by states with very lax gun laws, just creates a black market where the price of a gun is highly inflated. Which then obviously gives a huge incentive to organized crime to import more guns into the state from surrounding states, due to the huge profit margin... this isn't rocket science people, just basic commonsense.

Gun violence will always be a huge problem in the US until commonsense gun laws are enacted on a federal level.

But what do I know? Everyone just needs more guns right? I'm sure that'll solve the problem... lol.

If the lax gun laws of surrounding states caused crime then why don't those states have high crime rates? If the availability of guns caused crime, then all the crime in Illinois would be down state away from Chicago. Instead we have the opposite. What does that tell you?

It tells me that for whatever reason gang violence is more prevalent in Chicago... Obviously.

The availability of guns does not cause crime. The violence is caused by high concentrations of poverty and cultural dysfunction in which people believe violence solves their problems. It really is that simple.

Yes, the availability of guns does cause more gun violence in places where gang culture is more prevalent.

Any law abiding citizen in Illinois who wishes to own a gun can, so your point is irreverent anyway... Do you really think some gang member would think twice about doing a drive by on a rival gang member, simply because there were more gun shops in Chicago?

Your logic makes no sense and has no basis in reality.

The lax gun laws in surrounding states obviously gives gang members in Chicago easier access to firearms... I'm also fairly sure that most gang members would assume there target has the same access to firearms as they do.

So how would having more gun shops in Chicago solve this problem?

You aren't making any sense. First, as you state yourself, gangs are the problem. Why should Indiana or Michigan or Wisconsin or hell, even the suburbs of Chicago, change their gun laws because Chicago has a gang problem they can't control? How does banning guns fix a gang problem? It doesn't.

Second, when did I state I want more gun shops in Chicago? While I am against gun control, I also don't believe more concealed carry permits and gun shops necessarily lowers crime, at least not the day to day gun violence that we are discussing here which is primarily gang related.

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 09:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
The guns are not the problem. Nobody wants to address why they are killing in the first place.

Will agree with this, it does not require a gun to kill another human being.

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Hopefully im not off topic, but by legalizing certain drugs, it would take away the money from the criminals to purchase illegal guns.

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 09:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
The majority of guns here (Chicago) are smuggled in from Mexico with the drugs.

lol, so are you trying to claim guns a smuggled out of the US to mexico, to only be smuggled back to Chicago by the Mexican drug cartels? I would have thought most criminals would have done it the most logical way, by buying guns in the US where they are easier to obtain legally for the illegal market... but maybe I'm just making no sense.

The report -- which is based largely on numerous international studies and reports -- highlights the large number of cheap military and assault-style weapons available in the United States, in addition to lax US gun laws, as the main reasons for the high number of arms smuggled into Mexico. Some 40 percent of firearms used by drug traffickers in Mexico come from Texas alone, the report stated.

insightcrime.org

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 09:56 PM
link   
what it takes to kill someone or to do any other wrong to another person is a lack of love. if you love someone you will do them no harm deliberately. Therefore a lack of love is behind all crime. there is one rule one law that would end all violence and it is not a gun control law. So it is a moral deficiency that lies behind each crime and no law of man will ever fix it. In fact so long as this moral law is neglected there will be a need for the means to defend the self or to defend family, friends, neighbors and strangers from those lacking moral self regulation.

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 09:58 PM
link   
a reply to: JohnthePhilistine

I'm Scots-Irish.

Need the drink to look at her face I'd imagine.

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Let's address the issue. Bring ideas to the table.

Well we could start by classifying gangs as terrorist organizations and going after them and their supporters with the same determination we would apply to ISIS members.

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Well wait.

All illegal drugs are illegal in all the States right?

Yet billions of dollars worth get smuggled in and sold.

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 10:06 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

All illegal drugs are illegal in all the States right?

Wow. You are very smart.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join