It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trans*: The Shape of Things to Come

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 09:38 PM
link   
a reply to: RainbowPhoenix

If that is not your stance then why mention it ?

If it's to enforce your point of view then you'd be wrong in doing so, respected or scientist or not, if they're thinking we're living in a simulation then the majority would say they are mad. Also your "if this is true" suggests you do believe it might be possible, therefore nothing wrong with my reading comprehension and to go one further to at least stay on topic.

We have not created our own reality, our experiences within reality have created us. To think you are the creator of your own reality when it is so easily influenced by sources beyond your control is incredibly arrogant, narcist and egotistical.
edit on 2/1/16 by Discotech because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 09:39 PM
link   
People will be safe in the space Im in.

Trust me.

edit on 2-1-2016 by breakingbs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 09:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: RainbowPhoenix
You can be scared, I'm not. If the scenario that you are suggesting plays out then I will fight with others and win or fight with others and die. I'm not afraid of this but I am afraid to live in world where I am not free to be who I truly am without fear of verbal and/or physical abuse. Not everyone who despises us is as civil and sophisticated as you sir.

a reply to: incoserv

Neither am I afraid. And I do not despise.

The world is full of a**holes, no doubt. People are ugly, mean, vindictive and scared on both sides of this and most other meaningful discussions. I am sorry for that. However, as Flannery O'Connor once wrote:

The truth (e.g., reality - my edit) does not change according to our ability to stomach it emotionally.

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Reply to rainbow phoenix:

Cause fighting is so feminine and all.

FIGHT AND DIE!!!

YEEEEEAH!!!

:/

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Sure it might be possible, I have no idea and do not pretend to know either way. I am a Leo so by virtue I can be accurately accused of those qualities on occasion. I am conscious of that and make an effort not to be. None of this changes anything about my version of reality verses yours. In your reality god may be real and in mine maybe not, neither one of us can prove the existence or lack thereof so to make the point that the "majority would believe god exist" still does not prove it either way no matter how hard you want to believe or not believe. I won't go into detail but I have recently adapted my line of thought on ethics, the universe and gods what I now believe is in stark contrast to what I was taught growing up, I am much happier now and my life has drastically improved when I stopped worrying about "rules" note I say rules not laws there is a difference.

a reply to: Discotech

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 09:52 PM
link   
So women can't fight in revolutions or wars now? Tell that to Israel.

a reply to: breakingbs

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 09:53 PM
link   

I dont care about israel. Theyre gone as far as im concerned.

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 09:56 PM
link   

That's great but our realities are not in coexistence, they are shared. I can prove this by typing to you right now, I am in your reality, you are in mine so there is only 1 reality in existence we are just inhabiting that reality and shaped by that reality, we do not create that reality, it creates us.

It's the "my own reality" way of thinking that creates the very problems you're trying to fix, the sooner we all escape our "bubbles" and accept that we have to share and get a long the better the world will be

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 09:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Discotech
a reply to: incoserv

One thing I find puzzling with that whole concept is, why bother if your belief is that existence is utterly pointless and worthless ? Why go to all the trouble of trying to create a new temporary reality and enforce it upon others if you know that no matter how successful that attempt is ultimately it's all for nothing ? Surely any true nihilist would just end their pointless existence than draw out the inevitable ?

My answer: Because nobody ever really believes deep down - not even Nietzsche - that it's all pointless and meaningless. That's why he died in an insane asylum.

The battle is against those transcendent realities that overshadow our existence. Those realities are woven into our very existence. They are part of the pattern of the universe. Ultimately people fight against them not because they don't believe in them but because they hate being ruled over by something from outside their own selves, wanting to be on their own throne. But they never win. When you sow the wind, you can only reap the whirlwind.
edit on 2016 1 02 by incoserv because: I could

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 10:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Discotech

That's great but our realities are not in coexistence, they are shared. I can prove this by typing to you right now, I am in your reality, you are in mine so there is only 1 reality in existence we are just inhabiting that reality and shaped by that reality, we do not create that reality, it creates us.

It's the "my own reality" way of thinking that creates the very problems you're trying to fix, the sooner we all escape our "bubbles" and accept that we have to share and get a long the better the world will be

If, however, I don't agree with this and don't like it, I ultimately have to eliminate you so that I can exercise the dominance of my own reality.

Someone earlier in this thread - Abysha - replied to me that Hitler was an aberration, not a proper expression of the Übermensch. I disagree. He was the Übermensch, what the Übermensch can only become as it seeks dominance over all other worldviews.
edit on 2016 1 02 by incoserv because: I could

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 10:07 PM
link   
You are indeed in my reality in the form of this thread and that is ultimately by my own choosing as I made the decision to come into this thread. In essence you are in my reality because I allowed it even if you were an unforeseen addition to my reality. I can also remove you from my reality by simply leaving this thread and not reading it. You could then spam my inbox just to continue to make your point and then I could report it and have you blocked therefore removing you from my reality again.

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Like edit.

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 10:15 PM
link   

You are indeed in my reality in the form of this thread and that is ultimately by my own choosing as I made the decision to come into this thread. In essence you are in my reality because I allowed it even if you were an unforeseen addition to my reality. I can also remove you from my reality by simply leaving this thread and not reading it. You could then spam my inbox just to continue to make your point and then I could report it and have you blocked therefore removing you from my reality again.

But by backing into what you call "your reality," the reality of this thread, of this conversation, of me turning off this computer and crawling into bed beside my wife, of everyone else who has contributed to this thread and every other thread on ATS, and everyone else in the world doing whatever it is they do does not cease to exist. You can ignore it. You can pretend that it does not exist. That does not make it so.

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Ah yes, the classic dreaded slippery slope and where does it all end? If we accept trans kids then we have to accept 46 year old men in a dress as a 6 year old girl because that's their reality. Seriously? One is pathological and the other is not. On who's authority? Maybe just all the major worldwide medical and scientific organizations involved in the research and treatment of gender dysphoria for starters. Maybe the hundreds of thousands of trans people in this country alone for a little backup on that?

I am no student of philosophy nor a sociologist and really can't speak intelligently about broader implications or cultural concerns but there far bigger and more important issues to worry about than trans kids.

So how about we try to accept them for who they say they are and not invalidate their identities and personalities in a dehumanizing way just because they are "weird" or make some uncomfortable. Their concerns are not yours except when it comes to the matter of discrimination, rejection, bias, and equal treatment then it does become an obligation to deal with your own ick factor.

Transgender, gender non-confirming and gender variant children and adults are not something new and have existed throughout time and the world has not crumbled nor has fire rained down from the sky. Historically, this disenfranchised group has remained hidden in the shadows by shame and fear, repressed by internal homo/trans phobia and societal rejection or flat out couldn't deal with pretending to live a lie and killed themselves.

Isn't it about time we let these people step out in the open and live the lives that works best for them? Are we to decide our "normal" supersedes their "normal"?

This whole discussion has really gone sideways. In keeping with the topic of the OP, how about we not turn this into a global political football and think of the children?

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 10:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Freija

What the h is your deal w children?

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 10:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: incoserv

But by backing into what you call "your reality," the reality of this thread, of this conversation, of me turning off this computer and crawling into bed beside my wife, of everyone else who has contributed to this thread and every other thread on ATS, and everyone else in the world doing whatever it is they do does not cease to exist. You can ignore it. You can pretend that it does not exist. That does not make it so.

Ok, I'm super confused by your premise in this thread. You keep saying "reality" as if there is a reality that is being challenged.

- Trans people exist. That is reality.
- The leading scientific authorities on the subject recognize it and understand that it is a reality.

What reality are you debating here? Do you not believe that trans people exist?

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 10:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: breakingbs

What the h is your deal w children?

Well, that was the topic of the OP, was it not? I am also unapologetically an advocate for transgender youth and their families and contributor to organizations like Gender Spectrum, Camp Aranu'tiq, Trans Youth Equality Foundation and others.

So now, what the h is your deal with semi-coherent one line posts?

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Dude my computer keeps cutting out on me

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 12:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

Dude people already know it exists and in the terms you describe it in. Thats what you folks dont seem to get.
edit on 3-1-2016 by breakingbs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 12:13 AM
link   
a reply to: breakingbs

Also someone keeps mentioning this mysterious "ick" factor. I dont even know what that is. Its more like an i get it already factor. Its all words. Youre not getting any action through a computer screen.
edit on 3-1-2016 by breakingbs because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join