It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trans*: The Shape of Things to Come

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Lets explore some of the reasons folks detest Trans folk so much.

1.) Hate is easy.
Hate requires little effort. You don't have to step out of your comfort zone, you don't have to learn anything, or deal with nuance, or put yourself in anyone else's position. You don't have to challenge your friends, family, or people at the church. You just go along with everyone else, and make assumptions that feel safe and intuitive.

2.) Sympathizing with transgender people is hard.
Identifying with a gender you weren't physically born as is a very alien concept to the vast majority of people. Empathizing with people based simply on their humanity is hard. Having empathy for someone who is very different is even harder.

3.) Most people don't know a transgender person.
Most studies say that only 8-11% of people personally know someone who is transgender, yet approximately 75% know someone who is lesbian or gay. Studies also show very strong correlations between knowing an LGBT person, and being supportive of LGBT issues. The transgender community lacks that vital component of acceptance.

4.) We look/sound different.
It's always been easier to ridicule people who look or supposedly sound different. Look at the caricatures of blacks, Latinos, Native Americans, Japanese, gays, and many others from the past. If an unpopular group of people looks different, it can and will be used to caricaturize and demean them.

5.) It's assumed to be a choice.
The short answer is it's not much of a choice, and similar to when LGB people "decide" between being completely celibate or being themselves. Acceptance of LGB people is highly correlated with belief in a biological origin of orientation. The biological origins of being transgender more and more well-understood, though.

Numbers 6-10 are after the jump.

6.) There's a lack of positive possibility models in the public eye.
Currently, the number of positive transgender characters on TV and in movies is very limited. The rest almost always fall into one of three categories: pathetic transgender person (Brie in Transamerica or Rayon in Dallas Buyers Club), trap for straight men (The Hangover 2), or sex worker.

7.) 7.) Transgender people challenge deeply-held paradigms, and that makes people very uncomfortable.
Transgender people challenge the notion that gender and sex are more than just chromosomes or what's between your legs. That, in turn, challenges the religiously-held belief that God created just two genders, and never makes mistakes. It challenges a person's sense of sexual orientation when they find a transgender person attractive. Things which contradict a person's of set of "facts" either are rejected outright, or elicit strongly hostile thoughts.

It does not help that the human brain is very finely calibrated to evaluate faces, and categorize them based on very subtle cues as male or female. We recognize, though often not consciously, when someone doesn't fit the paradigms of the gender binary. When people don't fall neatly into one of those groups it causes a visceral reaction ranging from discomfort to fear, disgust and anger.

8.) Hating those who are different is an evolutionary advantage.
When it was tribe against tribe, your genetic survival depended on banding together for the common defense. The ability to use hate to unite your group makes the defense of your genetics more likely to be successful. Intellectually or emotionally humanizing your enemy isn't a successful evolutionary strategy.

In modern times, being transgender or intersex is probably the most visible way a person can be quickly identified as different. When a transgender person is assaulted, the attacker is much more likely to carry all the way through to murder.

9.) We're portrayed as a perversion.
From the left, right, and even a few biased researchers, people accuse transgender people of being perverts, fetishists, and likely rapists. This is in great part why the right-wing tactics against non-discrimination ordinances have been so successful: the right wing tells people that it's a choice between protecting their wives and daughters or a tiny group of perverts.

10.) It's socially acceptable.
Using transgender people as the butt of a joke is still common. Urging violence against us, demanding we be sent to concentration camps, calling us rapists and perverts, and using slurs to describe us are all still socially acceptable in a way that isn't for the LGB population.

Read more at www.bilerico.com...

Link to full article

If you are one of those that hate and vilify Trans people then perhaps it is time that you did some soul searching and self exploration of your own. Do you really want to be that kind of person? Hating those you have never met simply because you do not agree with how they live their life. When I came out as Trans I was so terrified that I would be outcast and berated by some of or most of my friends. To my surprise most everyone has been very supportive and kind to me often saying something similar to this to me "It is so awesome that you are happy and being true to yourself".

I did however lose one friend and the most hurtful one of all, my best friend of almost 20 years who now won't even add me on Facebook. This loss hurt the most and was somewhat confusing. That friend has been there for me in times of need on several occasions as I was for him. I know and like his family as they did me. He would praise and defend me and my character as I did for him on occasion. He would often joke that we were heterosexual life partners. In short he knew me to be a good, decent and stand up person and would say as much if asked. I felt the same way about him. Then one day we had a drunken debate about the nuances of being trans, things were ok and he seemed fairly tolerant until...the dreaded bathroom debate. That conversation about whether we should be allowed to use the bathroom we identify as or not ended a 20 year friendship much the same way the civil war put brother against brother over ideals despite years of loyalty and love. I lost a part of myself that day, I felt totally abandoned, misunderstood, betrayed and alone.

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 08:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Freija
... The choice of using the words "deconstruct and destabilize" is somewhat unfortunate as this sounds threatening to some suggesting their own world, perceptions and values are at risk when this simply isn't the case.

Sorry, Freija, bug deconstruction and destabilization is exactly[/b what it's all about.

Do your research, then extrapolate to the logical conclusion, using history as a guide.

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 08:51 PM
link   
a reply to: incoserv

Your excursion into and reliance on esoteric philosophical meanderings seems to indicate a fear or resistance to change and growth or that your power and privilege, i.e. your reality, are somehow under attack or threat because of evolving paradigms.

For cryin' out loud, the topic is gender identity and expression in children. I'm not sure that anything you've posted actually touches on that issue except to elude peripherally that forces are out to subvert the meaning of reality because they exist and are being acknowledged.

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I hate projection.

link   

originally posted by: RainbowPhoenix
Lets explore some of the reasons folks detest Trans folk so much.

I don't detest anyone and I take offense at you using employing pejorative language like that . Those arguments essentially appeal to emotionalism.

There is a general consensus that it is wrong to arbitrarily hate a group of people and that lack of sympathy is bad, so if we infuse our rhetoric from the start, with those two assumptions as thinly veiled accusations, we off to a rollicking fight about emotions and feelings. The conversation is derailed from that point and any subsequent dialog becomes so much palaver.

Sadly this tactic is employed on both sides of the discussion.

Actually, think about this. If it's acceptable for a man to redefine his reality and hold that he can be a woman or a six-year-old girl, then how can we say that any standards of behaviour or reality exist. If a man can be a woman, if there is no physical standard of reality that holds up to the physical evidence of his male-ness, how dare you say that any moral standard is valid, that it is wrong to hate or vilify anyone?

Either reality is reality or there is no reality at all.
edit on 2016 1 02 by incoserv because: I could

link   
Trans topics are usually charged and full of passionate discussions so I will carefully step in and state my opinion.
Trans people should certainly have equal rights and fight against discrimination, like any other group of people.
But a revolution?
I don't see why the overwhelming majority should redefine the human gender definition and make all a mess out of it just so the few "different" ones could feel good with themselves. What is so wrong to admitting that they are "different", and go on with their lives, and let the rest of us do the same?

The change can happen when most people can identify with a given problem and look for a solution.
The question is can we, the normal ones really identify with trans people?

Maybe most people don't believe that this whole trans fad is quite real; maybe is not even about gender definition but more about some gender/identity/personality disorder.
Maybe the crimes reported have also something to do with the dark lives most trans are living.
Maybe trans suicides have something to do with the deep psychological problems most of them have.
Maybe they are not exactly the heroes they want to appear. "The Holy Transgender" saving the humanity from the horrors of fixed gender...

I have no problem for them to identify however they want. But just like feminism, it starts to get out of control. Now they want to be recognized as a legitimate gender, they want to redefine human gender identity, they want to change kids at impossible ages, they want to change back and forth into their own gender fantasy and be recognized as such.
When it is time to say enough?
"Gender unicorns"? Really?
We must be bored out of our minds.

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 08:58 PM
link   
a reply to: WhiteHat

Agreed

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 08:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Freija

I think his posts hold relevance along the lines of we accept this now, what will we accept in the future ? Are we to push towards total tolerance where absolutely anything goes, because if that was to happen then chaos would ensue and the only logical goal I can think of for a nihilist to exist would be to bring about ultimate chaos to the world.

It's like I've already said, where do we drawn the line in this quest for tolerance because we will have to draw the line somewhere because true tolerance will only result in chaos. Yet those pushing for tolerance do not understand there has to be some intolerance somewhere, where someone has to suffer because of their state of being and it just being too weird for people to tolerate.

So do we want tolerance or not and if so how far do we go because somebody will always be saying they're being oppressed if we don't go for total tolerance ?
edit on 2/1/16 by Discotech because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 09:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Freija

Your excursion into and reliance on esoteric philosophical meanderings seems to indicate a fear or resistance to change and growth or that your power and privilege, i.e. your reality, are somehow under attack or threat because of evolving paradigms.

For cryin' out loud, the topic is gender identity and expression in children. I'm not sure that anything you've posted actually touches on that issue except to elude peripherally that forces are out to subvert the meaning of reality because they exist and are being acknowledged.

I actually laughed out loud. Don't you see what you're doing? You, in defending the idea of redefining reality according the "feelings" that exist in an individual's head are actually making the ultimate "excursion into and reliance on esoteric philosophical meanderings".

First, there's nothing "esoteric" about what I've said. For cryin' out loud, it's all over the Internet and packed into any college philosophy textbook you lay your hands on. How is that esoteric? Do you even know what "esoteric" means?

Second, Merriam-Webster defines meander as:

• to have a lot of curves instead of going in a straight or direct line : to follow a winding course
  • to walk slowly without a specific goal, purpose or direction
  • to go fron one topic to another without any clear direction

I, clearly, have not meandered in the context of this discussion. I have stayed on one straight line.

Sorry if I'm talking over your head.

No, on second thought, I'm not sorry. You should really stop attacking the messenger and try actually addressing the topic.

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I see it like this, I exist in my reality or "little universe" and you in yours. You do not have to like or agree with anything I do or say and I have the same rights in regards to you. You say I am not a woman and that may be fine in your "little universe" but is not the reality in my little universe. My friends and peers gender me as I wish to be and treat me the way I wish to be treated. That being said I hope our little universes never cross paths lest reality cease to exist as we know it. Shoot their are respected scientist's that say life as we know it is just a simulation or a hologram. If this is true and I'm not saying it is then your idea of reality is well not very real and neither is mine. Point being we don't know and can't prove yay or nay so you continue to exist in the reality you have created for yourself and I will do the same.

edit on 2-1-2016 by RainbowPhoenix because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 09:10 PM
link   

I see it like this, I exist in my reality or "little universe" and you in yours. You do not have to like or agree with anything I do or say and I have the same rights in regards to you. You say I am not a woman and that may be fine in your "little universe" but is not the reality in my little universe. My friends and peers gender me as I wish to be and treat me the way I wish to be treated. That being said I hope our little universes never cross paths lest reality cease to exist as we know it. Shoot their are respected scientist's that say life as we know it is just a simulation or a hologram. If this is true and I'm not saying it is then your idea of reality is well not very real and mine would be too. Point being we don't know and can't prove yay or nay so you continue to exist in the reality you have created for yourself and I will do the same.

So, let's say that in my "little universe" people with the color of hair that you happen to have, or the shape of your nose, or your ethnic background are inferior and should, therefore, be subjugated or eliminated. Or maybe according to the reality in my "little universe" I should hold all the wealth and power. And I have the power to enforce the reality that exists in my universe over the reality that exists in your universe.

Please explain to me who will decide what is "right" and what is "wrong". Who, between us, has the moral authority to define the proper view of reality and enforce that view. Who can say that your reality is right and mine is wrong?

And what if those who take upon themselves the authority to make that decision agree with me and not with you?

This is not an arbitrary, inane, "esoteric" or "meandering" argument. It is a truth that has been played out in history when humans decide that they have the right to ignore the established order and define reality themselves.

And the result is always chaos. And chaos is at the heart of the Übermensch. Look it up.
edit on 2016 1 02 by incoserv because: i could

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 09:12 PM
link   
a reply to: RainbowPhoenix

The problem is, we don't have our own little universes of existence, we exist TOGETHER in one real universe.

Your attitude is as bad as those you are fighting against and really does your cause a disservice by adopting the "I'm in my own world" attitude and throwing in comments that we're in a simulation/hologram.

Reality is not how we see, that is only our interpretation, reality can exist perfectly fine without any of us, however we cannot exist without reality

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 09:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Discotech
a reply to: RainbowPhoenix

The problem is, we don't have our own little universes of existence, we exist TOGETHER in one real universe.

Exactly.

The whole point of this utterly stupid "safe space" movement is that my "little universe" takes precedence over your "little universe" and when the two collide, mine is the one that must win.

And it will win by force imposed through the exercise of chaos. Just look at the crap flying around on university campuses in the name of "safe spaces" and the avoidance of "triggers."

The reality is that my thoughts and your thoughts must exist in the same space, and that there must be some transcendent, universal standard that governs who we are, what we are and how we interact. We, as a society, are in the process of deconstructing that standard. The result will ge destabilization and chaos, as per the Übermenschian protocol.

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 09:19 PM
link   
OK, folks, I've enjoyed the discourse, but I'm a good hour behind in my work, so I'd better get to earning my keep. I'd love to hang around and chew the fat, but duty calls. Thanks for the (mostly) thoughtful discourse.

And the otherwise.

I'll try to check back in sometime tomorrow. Adieu.

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Please explain to me who will decide what is "right" and what it "wrong". Who, between us, has the moral authority to define the proper view of reality and enforce that view. Who can say that your reality is right and mine is wrong?

I do not have the answer to this question and I'm not really sure that their is a person alive that does.

Please explain to me who will decide what is "right" and what it "wrong". Who, between us, has the moral authority to define the proper view of reality and enforce that view. Who can say that your reality is right and mine is wrong?

Again I have no answer for you other than I decide what is "right" or "wrong" in MY life as you do in yours.

And what if those who take upon themselves the authority to make that decision agree with me and not with you?

As for this I can say with confidence that it would seem the establishment "they with the authority" are on the side of me and mine. Perhaps and I'm not saying this in a factual manner but perhaps the will of Trans people collectively is stronger than the will of those who would seek to silence or ostracize us. How else do you explain such a small percentage of the community gaining so much ground and garnering so much attention and support. Could it be that our will is that much stronger than those who protest us? Again I do not know but we are here and that is not changing and you will see more and more of us as time passes. Reality is changing it would seem.

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Safe spaces would be fine if A. They actually existed and B. They aren't attached to the person who's space it is

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 09:28 PM
link   
I suspect your reading comprehension may not be up to par, forgive me I'm not trying to attack you but when you say

and throwing in comments that we're in a simulation/hologram.
reply to: Discotech

and what I actually said is

their are respected scientist's that say life as we know it is just a simulation or a hologram. If this is true and I'm not saying it is

That lets me know that you clearly do not understand what I was attempting to say, fyi the second quote is copy/pasted from my post in question.

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 09:30 PM
link   

As for this I can say with confidence that it would seem the establishment "they with the authority" are on the side of me and mine. ... Reality is changing it would seem.

That first statement, my friend, is one of the most dangerous things that you could say. I am certain that there was a day in the history of early 1930s Germany when the minorities felt (perhaps rightly so) that the will of "they with authority" was with then and theirs. As did many, many groups throughout history. The "establishment," "they with the authority" are a fickle lot. The power that "they" wield in your favor today will be the power that they will use to crush you tomorrow.

You see, when you say that, you are ultimately granting "they with the authority" the power to be the definers of reality. That power that you claimed to be your own, to define the reality in you own "little world," to let this be the way things work you have to give up that power to them. They will use that power to your benefit as long as it is to their advantage but that never, ever works out well, because those who are granted such authority never wield it benevolently for long. Again, if you doubt what I say, please have a perusal of history.

As to reality changing, that's not even logical. Reality is reality. It does not change to fit the times, the fashion, nor the whims of a group of people. 1 plus 1 will always equal 2, regardless of what anyone says.

A stale crust will never be better than a big juicy steak. (Did anybody catch that?)

OK, I really need to stop this and get to work. My wife will ask me what I accomplished and I'll have to tell her the truth.

Or, I could just make up an alternate reality in my own little world and tell her that.

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 09:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Discotech

Safe spaces would be fine if A. They actually existed and B. They aren't attached to the person who's space it is

Both qualifications which are antithetical to the entire concept of "safe spaces."

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 09:36 PM
link   
You can be scared, I'm not. If the scenario that you are suggesting plays out then I will fight with others and win or fight with others and die. I'm not afraid of this but I am afraid to live in world where I am not free to be who I truly am without fear of verbal and/or physical abuse. Not everyone who despises us is as civil and sophisticated as you sir.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join