It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"The Force Awakens" Really Is Feminist Propaganda

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 03:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

I have a feeling that she is related to Luke or someone else and that's the reason she has those innate abilities. I bet that's why it's called "The Force AWAKENS". It's like she's on a higher level even than Luke was when it comes to having the force, negating her need for training, to some extent.
edit on 3-1-2016 by jeramie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 03:57 AM
link   
No it's really not feminist propaganda.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 04:18 AM
link   
No it isn't.
I loved the character so what If it is a strong girl last thing I think about when losing myself in Star Wars is If it is feminist propaganda.
Which it isn't.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 06:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
It wasn't feminist propaganda at all. we can have powerful women protagonists without having to pretend it is her gender giving her those powers. She used to force, not the feminist mystique.

Great point. Rey did not seduce anyone in some typical cliché fashion, she kicked their asses.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 06:59 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I like the way she stomps about a determination I have not felt since...(storms off cape bellowing)..
edit on 3-1-2016 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 07:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74
I like the way she stomps about a determination I have not felt since...(storms off cape bellowing)..

The last time I felt it was in the presence of my old master.

Cthulhu.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Well, it wouldn't shock me any if it leans feminist. I mean, that IS the PC flavor of the current decade.

As much as I'd like to see the movie (and I'm no SW fan) from what I've seen of Rey in the trailers, the actress comes across as both a tad too young in appearance either by make-up or nature (kind of a personal sci-fi turn-off for me, screams teeny-bopper shoe-in) and incredibly rigid & icy. Dare I say the emotionless chick from the Twilight movies seems less rigid & warmer. Does she continue that shtick throughout the whole flick? I'd honestly prefer a Jar-Jar redux over that.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 07:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
Dare I say the emotionless chick from the Twilight movies seems less rigid & warmer. Does she continue that shtick throughout the whole flick? I'd honestly prefer a Jar-Jar redux over that.

I think the actress who portrayed her covered a wide array of emotions in the role. It really was a well written and acted film.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 08:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

...the actress comes across as both a tad too young in appearance either by make-up or nature (kind of a personal sci-fi turn-off for me, screams teeny-bopper shoe-in)

How old was Luke when we first met him?

This is so interesting - how differently everybody sees fictional characters. And actors

I absolutely loved her - Rey. She is young. It's part of the story

I imagine I'd be a little standoffish too if I was an orphan on a desert planet trying to survive on my own. Far from being distant or cold - she looks out for little BB-8 right off the bat - and has instantaneous feelings for Finn

Ellen Ripley was just a wee lass at one time too - we all start someplace :-)

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Hollywood is run by communist
Has been for a long time
It is part of the long March
Pushing homosexuality
Feminism
To try and change our values
If you look at other TV shows
The woman is made to look superior
And the male looks like an idiot
We are seeing a womans eutopea
Being created
Women are out to enslave men
They hate the very idea that they
Have to obey men

I believe they encourage men to become gay
Because we live in a democracy
Knowing that natural men would reject them
Forcing them to side with females
At the ballet box ensuring females
A win in the elections
So they can control men

I enjoy a puff on a joint
That makes me a criminal
An undesirable person in society
What happened

Two hundred years ago my forefathers
Who founded this great land Australia
Who were great pioneers

We're all pot smokers who brought seeds
Here from England

It was suffrage voting that changed
Everything
It was the woman that band alcohol in America back in the 30s
Demonizing men

Democracy is bad

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 09:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: piney
I believe they encourage men to become gay

How do you encourage someone to be gay? If I do not find the site of another man's ass to be attractive how are women going to compel me to change my mind on what excites me sexually?

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 09:42 AM
link   
*Sigh*

So, can I just state this for the record. In fantasy as well as sci-fi the is the concept of the heroic character.

A character who is above basic human aptitude and ability. Somebody who seemingly is the best at most things they do, without much training or focus. Old pen and paper RPG players will understand what I mean by that.

That has been the 'classic hero story' for many, many many years.

How is creating a female character, who is identical to hundreds if not thousands of other male characters?

The only answer is......because she's a woman....somehow the idea of her being 'heroic' is nonsense?

I call nonsense on that. There is no 'feminist' propaganda in portraying a woman as a man's equal within the realms of science fiction or general fiction. That's actually a display of egalitarianism.

~Tenth

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 09:44 AM
link   
a reply to: piney

Could anyone convince you to be gay?.
And did you really just say that giving women the vote is where it all started going wrong?.
edit on 3-1-2016 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

Forget it dude. Episode VIII is going to have Rey refusing to get involved with men and probably becoming a single mom. Finn and Poe will become gay lovers because, well, the gay. Hell, we might even get some bestiality with Chewie and some droid on droid action too.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 09:47 AM
link   
a reply to: piney

Women are out to enslave men
They hate the very idea that they
Have to obey men

Women HAVE to obey men? No wonder you think they're out enslave you! One extreme leads to the other, doncha know?

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 09:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74
Could anyone convince you to be gay?.

If you saw me shirtless you would be all over this schnizit.

And did you really just say that giving women the vote is where it all started going wrong?.

That was the downfall of humanity. We should have just continued bonking them on the head with clubs and dragging them back to our man caves.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 09:50 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

lol
Sigh If only it could be like the good ole days.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

'Over education leads to ugliness, premature aging and beard growth.'

I knew it, Rey will end up turning into a Wookie. Or you. Either way she is screwed.

edit on 3-1-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: never go in against a Sicilian with death is on the line

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Wait, so Rey is a feminist conspiracy because she's good at all this stuff, yet when Luke was awesome at everything and could bullseye an exhaust port, that was fine?

Rey is a hero. Luke and Han were heroes. This is what heroes do.

Somebody who has an objection to Rey, but was fine with Luke, should maybe stop and think about why that is?

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 04:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Painterz
Somebody who has an objection to Rey, but was fine with Luke, should maybe stop and think about why that is?

If you really get critical, Luke was a bit of a whiney baby in IV and V, 'But I wanted to go to Tosche Station to buy some power converters! Waaaaaaa!'.

Meanwhile, Rey was picking crashed Star Destroyers apart so she could get a little food each day while leaving in a burned out hulk, alone, in the friggin dessert.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join