It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Mississippi Burning Killer Arrested

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 11:51 PM
link   
The slayings of three civil rights workers that were registering blacks to vote in 1964 Mississippi had gone without anyone being brought for murder charges in 40 years. That changed today with the arrest of Edgar Ray Killen, a 79 year old preacher. He's being held on three counts of murder for the slayings of James Chaney, Michael Schwerner and Andrew Goodman. The 1988 film "Mississippi Burning" dramatized these events during the "Freedom Summer" of 1964.

story.news.yahoo.com
Sheriff Larry Myers told The Associated Press that Edgar Ray Killen was arrested at his home without incident. Myers said there would be more arrests in connection with the killings, which were dramatized in the 1988 movie "Mississippi Burning."

In 1964, James Chaney, Michael Schwerner and Andrew Goodman, who were helping to register black voters, were murdered on a lonely dirt road as they drove to a church to investigate a fire. They were allegedly stopped by Klansmen, beaten and shot to death. Several weeks later, their bodies were found buried in a dam a few miles from the church.

Nineteen men � including Killen and many of them Klansmen � were indicted. Seven were convicted of federal civil rights violations in 1967 and sentenced to prison terms ranging from three to 10 years.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It's good to see that people, even though they're now very old men, are being brought to justice for the terrible crimes they committed so long ago. More arrests are promised to be forthcoming. In 1994 Mississippi convicted Byron de la Beckwith for the killing of Medger Evers in 1963.

Always a conspiracy - the brother of James Chaney says that the trial will be a sham and that the wealthy and influential whites that had a hand in the killings will go free.

[edit on (1/7/0505 by PistolPete]

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 02:30 AM
link   
This is good news. It sends a message that you can run but not hide. I wonder if the trial evidence from so long ago will be enough to convict them?

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 07:00 AM
link   
I bet that Phelps guy also has a clans robe in his closet....

Don't you just hate elections with more than one party? it creates a climate of uncertainty... - (Lucky Luke vs Joss Jamon)

[edit on 7-1-2005 by Countermeasures]

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 07:13 AM
link   
This is great news! He thought he had gotten away with murder. I'm glad they finally got him and those families can see some type of justice!

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 07:16 AM
link   
That's a coincidence, I just watched the movie (again) last night on tv.
What I find incredible is that there are still these white supremecists active today in some parts.

top topics

join