It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Artifact Found Near Lufkin, TX - Need Help Identifying

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 12:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: UnderKingsPeak
The beard is really heavy for a Conquistador.
Could that be a Nordic beard ?
Maybe early 1800's German Cabinet Artisans
that were abundant throughout Texas ?

It does look somewhat Nordic but the carving on the other side definitely looks conquistador.

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 07:33 PM
link   
a reply to: TXTriker

this cannot be for water, very small. It may be something to store medicine or poison.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Received a response back from Briscoe Museum and have forwarded pictures to them. Will see what they say!

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 08:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ploutonas
a reply to: TXTriker

this cannot be for water, very small. It may be something to store medicine or poison.

Medicine, poison, perfume, oil - all were considered but when I saw the top opening it doesn't look like it could easily contain a stopper that would not leak. The top opening, to me, looks more like an opening left from the mold.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Since Catholocism was an important part of conquistador life, this object may be a holy water urn.
The size fits, but the museum will probably be able to accurately come up with a date.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Looks like a door knocker.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Response from Briscoe Museum. I have the list of appraisers if anyone wants it send me a PM.

RE: The Briscoe Western Art Museum - Contact Form Submission
After conferring with our collections staff they agreed that the best source for accurate identification and authentication would be a professional appraiser. I have attached a list of several along with their areas of specialty should you choose to go this route. I hope this helps you in your search! Regards, Sharon Sharon Garcia, Communications Manager

I guess we will see if the Witte responds.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join