It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christian Scholar: The Bible is More Violent Than the Koran

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 06:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm

originally posted by: infolurker
a reply to: gladtobehere

I am still waiting for the example of hundreds of millions of Christians lining up to implement Mosaic Law and its penalties across the world in this day and age....

What?

What was that?

Crickets... yeah, thought so. Huge difference.

Well perhaps they plan on taking over quietly through deception and subterfuge rather than outright war. According to Sun Tsu all War involves Deception so perhaps they're just a bit more skilled in their tactics and approach. If your enemy is smart they defeat you before you even realize you're at war.

Not seeing them lining up and attacking for the world to see could just mean they're more clever and have a better plan than what you're expecting. The fact that you didn't notice them was simply part of the plan all along.

That is very naive or you are very young (or just being deceptive). If that was to happen it would have happened before the 1960s when Christianity was at it's peak. And it didn't happen. The US Constitution is the law of the land. Ironically, most Christians in the US defend it.Go figure.

edit on 1-1-2016 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 06:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm

Sometimes I wonder if those who make excuses for Christianity on the grounds that the Old Test. is no longer relevant understand just how often it's used by them to justify the things they do. Plus you can't just throw out the first half of God's Word because it causes theological problems now. Unless they also admit that doing so means God made a whole lot of mistakes and should no longer be considered All Knowing, Wise, etc.

Sometimes I wonder if those who put words in other peoples' mouths are trolls or are just rude.

You're responding to things I didn't say. I did not say the OT was "no longer relevant". I said that Christian teachings are not based in it.

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 06:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther
a reply to: schuyler

Sometimes I wonder if those who attack Christianity on the grounds that the Bible is violent realize that the religion is based on the teachings of the New Testament, not the Old.

It's not convenient for their argument.

Then why do they include the Old Testement in their Bibles? If their entire religion is based on the NT -- why not just have maybe ONE copy of the OT laying around for historical purposes? Why do Christians continue to have sermons about OT stories? Why is the OT selectively used?

Either use the OT or don't. You either accept it as part of the religious doctrine, or you don't.

This wanting to use it when its convenient blasts serious holes in the credibility and trustworthiness of Christians.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 06:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xeven
Old and New Testaments are two separate religions.

So what about this?

42 "And if anyone causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to be thrown into the sea with a large millstone tied around his neck.
43 If your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life maimed than with two hands to go into hell, where the fire never goes out.
45 And if your foot causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life crippled than to have two feet and be thrown into hell.
47 And if your eye causes you to sin, pluck it out. It is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye than to have two eyes and be thrown into hell,

That's Mark 9:42-47, New International Version, which is obviously in the New Testament. Sometimes I wonder if people have actually read the NT, as opposed to simply repeating what others say about it. Of course it doesn't matter to me. To each his/her own. I just have a pet peeve of people saying that.

As for the OP: The ironic thing is they should know what the scholar is pointing out. But their excuses are always "We only follow half of our book" and "the controversial passages in the part we follow aren't meant to be taken literally". If that's what they believe, then fair enough. But if everyone else is supposed to take them at their word that those violent passages are to be ignored or not taken literally, why won't they do the same thing with Muslims & the Qur'an? they hold us to a higher standard than they want to be held to. And this is even after practicing Muslims explain that a controversial passage is being taken out of context, is badly "translated", or simply isn't true.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 06:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom

Generally, Christians have something called a military behind them to do the blowing-up-of-things.

Suicide vests are used by desperate people who feel they don't have any alternatives. In America, significant Christian influence is thrown around in Congress that can launch air strikes from carrier groups in the Gulf.

Air strikes are politically based. We have agendas that we use to push America's objectives on the world. Good or bad there isn't a lot of religion in it.

Now, when a Sunni suicide bomber walks into a Shiite market and blows up killing a 100 women and children to get on the fast track to his 72 virgins one can say that is 100% religious based.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 06:16 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

I'm just tired of people dropping bombs and blowing themselves up. Both sides in this whole thing are stupid as hell in my opinion. Both sides want control, and both sides are making my life miserable because they can't just leave one another alone. They're both acting like spoiled brats...brats with highly destructive weapons and fanatical followers...some of which have extraordinary amounts of money.

I'm pointing out something uncomfortable -- I realize that

And I am so very, very glad you are pointing it out. And it is also very, very true.
Give yourself a formal applause for that one (I did what I could).....
edit on 1/1/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Why do they also quote passages from the old testament when telling everyone how bad gay marriage is.
Cherry picking and choosing what is and isn't part of their religion to fit their own views..

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 06:18 PM
link   
IF humans ever evolve to Buddha’s “right thinking” they will reject sectarian religion for real knowledge. Or what is termed, Objective knowledge.

That would entail investigating the Quran and the Bible for spiritual guidance; including the scriptures of other religions and then telling these sectarian clerics (the divisive weavers of separate religions and strife) from ALL these religions to go to hell by yourself

And seek truth and legitimate spirituality from all sources objectively

A person who uses the Quran for spiritual guidance doesn’t have to be a card carrying Muslim

A person using the Bible for the spiritual guidance doesn’t have to be a card carrying Christian

A person using the Buddhist or Hindu scriptures doesn’t have to be either Hindu or Buddhist

You get my point.

Indeed these clerics have no knowledge of God, truth or spiritual insight into anything.

Start to think and feel for yourself

The Quran has a story or a prediction in it and it goes like this.

This is a paraphrase

“In the era known as the Fire, we know as Hell. those inmates will say to God

“Please Lord bring us those leaders who led us astray here and let us trample them”

The Lord will say

You were warned that they were misleaders and now it’s too late

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 06:20 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

If that was to happen it would have happened before the 1960s when Christianity was at it's peak. And it didn't happen.

It's happening now.
It really is.

I've posted many times on this crowd which you think is fictitious.......
they have been flying under the radar (without you knowing it) amongst themselves for decades. They don't play honest and open. They've only been exposed in the last few years....and now people are knowing about it.

We are seeing it happening before our very eyes.
You could see it, too, if you'd only pay attention.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 06:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74

Why do they also quote passages from the old testament when telling everyone how bad gay marriage is.
Cherry picking and choosing what is and isn't part of their religion to fit their own views..

Why is gays and abortions the only things people can bring into a topic about Christianity. Hmm maybe because that is about all they got. Some Christians do not agree with Gays and abortions..shocker. Most don't care...

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 06:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Some Christians do not agree with Gays and abortions..shocker. Most don't care...

But, some of those "some" are running for POTUS (or county clerk). Most are not...
it's the ones who are that are of concern here.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 06:23 PM
link   
The only really violent part of the Bible is the old testament. It was written perhaps about 1,500 BC. The Koran was written in the 440's AD. About 2,000 years difference. So you cannot compare the two. You could compare the New Testament with the Koran as the NT was apparently put together in the 400's. The OT is weird and most churches don't seem to refer to it at all as it is Jewish tradition and little to do with Jesus. But I do not care as I am an atheist.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: grumpy64

the Quran was from the 7th century AD...the 600s.

The NT was put together in the 300s.

But you're on the right track.....

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 06:26 PM
link   
a reply to: gladtobehere

The Bible has more historical narratives than the Quran and that alone accounts for perceive violence. As it narrates the first murder of the first person, the flood, the battles Abraham and Israel had in the land God promised them. It narrates the battles that Babylon, Assyria, Philistines and Egypt had in conquering Israel. It even narrates the death of Jesus Christ, the first death of Christians, the stoning of Stephan and Paul, and it narrates the future battles in Israel yet to come.

But that still doesn't make Islam less violent considering its history since 600AD.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Just like most Muslims don't care what others do....
As Buzzy says we have to fight against the ones who care enough to hurt others to put their views across not the 99.9% of Christians who are alright and the 99.9% of Muslims who are alright.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 06:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

Some Christians do not agree with Gays and abortions..shocker. Most don't care...

But, some of those "some" are running for POTUS (or county clerk). Most are not...
it's the ones who are that are of concern here.

Yep # happens and a county clerk is removed with new rules in place, by people who I would bet are mostly Christians and Cruz will not be president based on his more extreme religious beliefs. Do you not think if every Christian voted for Cruz he would win by the biggest landslide in history?

edit on 1-1-2016 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 06:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker

That is very naive or you are very young (or just being deceptive). If that was to happen it would have happened before the 1960s when Christianity was at it's peak. And it didn't happen. The US Constitution is the law of the land. Ironically, most Christians in the US defend it.Go figure.

I don't see how answering your question is somehow naive or deceptive. I didn't say that it is happening for sure. You asked why we don't see the battle playing out and I gave you a reasonable answer as to why. Deception and subversion is used in taking out Governments all over the world. Just ask the CIA. That doesn't mean it IS happening here but if it is that is how it could happen without you seeing it play out. What's naive is ignoring all possibilities.

I know the US Constitution is the law of the land. I couldn't really say what most Christians do, but I do know at least some think God's Law is Above the Constitution and use that as a way to attack it. Go figure.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 06:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

originally posted by: boymonkey74

Why is gays and abortions the only things people can bring into a topic about Christianity. Hmm maybe because that is about all they got. Some Christians do not agree with Gays and abortions..shocker. Most don't care...

How about birth control, health insurance, public education and sex education? How about when religious freedom was used to justify racism? Perhaps using faith to deny services to members of the public that did not live their life according to a certain religious code?

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 06:30 PM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

Man I am ok with Homosexuality seeing God gave men and women over to it. Let em go and do their thing if they repent ok if not, nothing lost nothing gained.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 06:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther

Sometimes I wonder if those who put words in other peoples' mouths are trolls or are just rude.

You're responding to things I didn't say. I did not say the OT was "no longer relevant". I said that Christian teachings are not based in it.

I see. Well, I don't see much of a difference in those statements. It's either used in Christian Teachings or it isn't. So which is it???

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join