It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A dating site for white people is turning heads?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+64 more 
posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 05:06 PM
link   

WEST VALLEY CITY, Utah - A billboard for a dating website along SR 201 in West Valley City is getting a bit of attention, with many Utahns saying the website it advertises represents outdated thinking. The giant ad for WhereWhitePeopleMeet.com, between 5600 W. and 7200 S., is turning heads and leaving residents with many unanswered questions.

fox13now.com...

Seriously..... people are upset about that? Do they bother to research this stuff? A quick google will get you this:

BlackPeopleMeet.com

BlackSingles.com

BlackPlanet.com

AfroRomance.com

BlackCupid.com

BlackScene.com

AfricanPassions.com

And that is just Black dating sites...add in Asian, Latino, etc. The list goes on....... but people think WhereWhitePeopleMeet.com is wrong?

edit on R082016-01-01T17:08:15-06:00k081Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

edit on R082016-01-01T17:08:42-06:00k081Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

+22 more 
posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: RickinVa

Yes, how ridiculous to be offended by this in anyway.

We can't enforce preferences upon people, it's absolutely ridiculous.

+3 more 
posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 05:13 PM
link   
While I think online dating is not the greatest thing, a website for white people is not wrong. Is there numerous dating websites for people of other backgrounds-skin color, ethnicity, religious, etc.-which I don't think is wrong.

People are going to get upset for the littlest things out there today. Regardless if you can refute their arguments. They just want to be upset, and they'll find a provocation.

+19 more 
posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 05:20 PM
link   
What the eff is wrong with wanting to stay exclusive to one's race? The reason it is turning heads is because all of the race cards.

Yes I'm saying it, BLM is so widespread that anything else is NOT pc.

I just don’t think it’s the way to teach our kids to love all when you see billboards like that," Kim Gilbert said.

Michelle Dessau said she thinks the billboard represents exclusionary views.

“I just feel we should be past that whole mindset of staying within our own race and segregation pretty much," Dessau said.

Kayla Lemmon said she is opposed to the idea of dating sites aimed at a single race.

What the # does this have to do all all with "love" OR wanting to date a whotes person if I am an Effing white person????

I LOVE this idea!!!!

I'm white ( well kind of, American Indian) and I'm proud, you should be too if you are

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 05:25 PM
link   
white people are the dominant race in the USA, they do not need niche markets. .
If you reversed it and there was a website somewhere in asia or africa which was aimed at white people meeting white people I don't think it would seem so unusual..

The sad part is it's frowned upon to have a website aimed at meeting white people in a white country.. its just more pc gone mad..

edit on 1/1/16 by Misterlondon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Lol one of the profile pics is a black lives matter gathering. Awesome

"now that we have our own dating website, we just need a TV channel and we're set"
-said no white person ever

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 05:27 PM
link   
"109 members total". The Horny Army of Bigots.

One of which was what appeared to be a BLM account (they had a "newest members" avatar scroll thing). Maybe someone with more social media savvy can set one up there and see what we've got:

White People Meet

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 05:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Teddy916
While I think online dating is not the greatest thing, a website for white people is not wrong. Is there numerous dating websites for people of other backgrounds-skin color, ethnicity, religious, etc.-which I don't think is wrong.

People are going to get upset for the littlest things out there today. Regardless if you can refute their arguments. They just want to be upset, and they'll find a provocation.

I am a white male married to a black female.... we met on a online dating site, but that site was for all people. Online dating works really well when people are honest. Lying about yourself only gets you as far as the first time you meet.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 05:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther
"109 members total". The Horny Army of Bigots.

One of which was what appeared to be a BLM account (they had a "newest members" avatar scroll thing). Maybe someone with more social media savvy can set one up there and see what we've got:

White People Meet

I think they will be getting a few more after the media attention..
Win win for the website developers..

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 05:44 PM
link   
It appears that since it was advertised on a billboard, it is attracting a lot of attention.

They also state they haven't verified if it is a real site.

Either way, I really don't see anything wrong with a white dating site. Any other dating site you go to allows you to filter results by race, this website is just taking that step out of the equation.

I wonder if this was something else entirely....maybe it was created with the specific intent of causing controversy.

Maybe it's me, but it appears we may have crashed the site... I can't pull it up now....internal server error.
edit on R452016-01-01T17:45:43-06:00k451Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

+11 more 
posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 05:46 PM
link   
What if a female posts her bio on any dating a site and states that she is only interested in black men?
Is she a racist?
Or is she only a racist if she is black?

If a white man states that he is looking exclusively for white women, it could be grounds for calling him a racist... couldn't it?
But if a black man wants to date only white women, very few would think of calling him a racist, I suppose.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 07:04 PM
link   

I think people are more offended by the implications. For example, "blackpeoplemeet.com" has white people on it, as well. It's inclusive but specializes in assisting hook-ups for a minority group. A "white people" dating site is catering to the majority and sounds exclusive. We already have dating sites that do the same thing for white people that "blackpeoplemeet.com" does for black people. Those are pretty much any random dating site since it will mostly be white people on them.

In other words, a site specializing in a minority group is meant to draw in a desired proportionate ratio out of a population that is disproportionate. A site specializing in the majority group is redundant and is obviously meant to keep minorities out since they are wanting to increase the already-disproportionate ratio.

Either way, they probably think they are being clever and "sticking to liberals and the politically correct" while just looking like racist jackasses. It's not like intelligent people are going to buy it.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 07:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: ReadLeader
I'm white ( well kind of, American Indian) and I'm proud, you should be too if you are

Could you explain why you are proud of something you had absolutely nothing to do with? Did you accomplish something to become white or did you choose your color from a swatch book before you were born?

Notion of being proud (or ashamed) of ones color is completely ridiculous, in my opinion. I am white and indifferent to the fact.

edit on 1-1-2016 by Crazy Diamond because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 07:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Crazy Diamond
Notion of being proud (or ashamed) of ones color is completely ridiculous, in my opinion. I am white and indifferent to the fact.

You are indifferent to the fact because you are rarely made to think about it. If you were viewed with suspicion or fear by a large segment of the population, you would no longer be able to view your own ethnicity or skin color with indifference.

"Pride" is a bit of a misnomer when we are talking about "black pride" or "gay pride", ect. There just aren't many other words to use to describe the feeling of ostracization, and a person's commitment to retain their personal agency in spite of it.

When white people use it, it is very much like the dating site in the OP. It is usually redundant, exclusive, and largely unnecessary.

+14 more 
posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

Is having a preference racist? Why should a place not exist that caters to preference or specific ones, your argument is not intellectual or high brow, it's just an attempt to find racism in anything that is majority white.

Let me ask you, should any country even European country's be majority white?

+5 more 
posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 07:41 PM
link   

What then of white people that are raised in urban surroundings in which they are the minority?

Say southwest Detroit?

Your myth of constant victimization is reversed yet the specter of "white privilege" remains.

"White pride" in that situation is still very much the rallying cry of the racist. Believe me.

You however are willing to give a pass to some based on race and willing to castigate others based on race, which are clear hallmarks of a bigot.

"Pride" is simply the ugly sister of "power" whenever it is used after a racial designation and is only used to soften the wording to make the statement more palatable.

+29 more 
link   

We "Europeans" are knocked for wanting to meet someone like US.

Yet EVERY SINGLE other race/ethnicity gets to do it without anyone whispering a word.

And WE are called 'racist'. I've had enough. I'm done with the whole thing.

link   

originally posted by: TechniXcality

Is having a preference racist? Why should a place not exist that caters to preference or specific ones, your argument is not intellectual or high brow, it's just an attempt to find racism in anything that is majority white.

Let me ask you, should any country even European country's be majority white?

Having a preference isn't racist at all. I don't like dating blondes. Does that make me "hairist"? No. Likewise, I don't think a white person who prefers to date other white people is automatically racist because of their preference. We are talking about a relationship that involves a physical component to it so having an aesthetic preference isn't unusual.

If you think I was implying that "race factoring into physical attraction = racist", you didn't read my post correctly. I was not. I gave clear reasons why a site specializing in something that is already considered the default can be construed as racist.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 07:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: 200Plus

What then of white people that are raised in urban surroundings in which they are the minority?

Say southwest Detroit?

That would actually make sense.

Look, I made it clear why the site in the OP could be seen as racist. Having a dating site, in general, is normally a white dating site in most of America. To call it a white dating site makes it sound like black people aren't welcome. In contrast, blackpeoplemeet.com is known as a site to meet black people, regardless of your own color.

In a place where white people make up about 10% of the population, it would almost make sense.

+15 more 
posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 07:46 PM
link   
On every dating site I've been on, a couple major well known ones, you can filter your preferences based on RACE. You can even state in your profile what RACE you are looking for.

So it's okay to do it, as long as you don't SAY you do it.??

Because......saying it.....after all....makes you a 'racist'

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join