It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

need a new show to start. thinking deadwood or justified

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 10:50 AM
link   
a reply to: maybee

He's a good actor. Haven't seen Justified yet, I'll have to put it on the queue.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 10:59 AM
link   
thanks for all the reccos everyone.
i have watched all of a few shows mentioned.

peaky blinders was cool. alfie solomons was awesome.
loved dexter
loved anarchy

putting deadwood on the flash drive now. gonna start with an episode of that and then an episode of justified to see which one i want to keep watching.

oh fringe was one of my favorites. walter is the man

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: VVormvvood

LOL We did Trailer Park Boys right after My Name is Earl. We tend to get a theme going so we might need a period piece after GOT.

I really liked the Spartacus series too.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

loved dexter
loved anarchy

putting deadwood on the flash drive now. gonna start with an episode of that and then an episode of justified to see which one i want to keep watching.

Walter is inded the man.

Looks to Avatar, continues watching series 2, thinks about it all. tears in eyes...

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

loved dexter
loved anarchy

I would suggest sticking with Deadwood if the first episode doesn't grab you.

The third season is a great slow burn of tension that some may find frustrating since the show is based on historical characters.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Try "Longmire." A contemporary "western" that decently depics the plight of Native Americans in the modern West and the "battles" that they continue to endure. --Though done through the episodes of a tough, white sheriff.

Want the grittiness of "Deadwood?" Then jump to "Hell on Wheels." Some gimmicks of the series, are a direct ripoff from "Deadwood." It is somewhat historical in concept.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Both are great. Deadwood has some very rough language, but it's still worth watching. Being from Hazard, Ky , which is near Harlan where most of the story takes place, I have a soft spot for Justified, but that aside, it's still a damn good show.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Sons of Anarchy

Fargo

Ray Donovan

And of course Breaking Bad

All pretty much unmissable.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 02:44 PM
link   

in the flesh, (UK zombie drama)
Utopia (must see UK conspiracy series)
Te last man on earth
Penny dreadfull (good budget, good plot)
Wilfred!!!!!!!

I have enjoyed watching these,, oh and Helix...

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Deadwood is the superior show in pretty much every regard. The tone, characterization and tendency towards Shakespearean monologue makes it transcend genre, the love and attention to detail make it feel like a world that you can visit for a time, but would definitely not want to live in.
But as others have said, it's not for everybody. It is filthy, occasionally obscene, wanton with displays of random cruelty, brutality and hardship and the language is harsh on the ears (in fact it was a choice by the writers to have such intense scatalogical language to reflect the historical tendency towards sacrilegious speak, which would basically have little impact on a modern audience).
The final season does end on a cliffhanger that has been decried by many fans; personally, I grew to love it because the uncertainty of the ending and the promise of catastrophe seems like it fits with the feel of the show in general. Good things happen, bad things happen, but history moves on.

I do love Justified too, but it is at heart a police procedural. The setting is interesting (I assume, mainly for people who didn't grow up in rural Kentucky) and it has tons of heart. Essentially if you want to watch Tim Olyphant and Walton Goggins be baddasses for a few dozen hours and watch the finer details of Southern rural crime escapades, this is the show to watch.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 04:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Unresponsible

ive been flipping back and forth. on episode 2 of deadwood now. just finished episode 3 of justified.
i think i like justified better thus far. something about olyphants portrayal is resonating well for me.
deadwood seems promising though.

i had high hopes for penny dreadful but i came to a point where it just wasnt working for me.
after dorian grey popped up and the whole frankenstein thing happening i lost interest.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Did you ever try American Horror Story? There are 4 seasons on Netflix and the first 3 are all top notch

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 04:54 PM
link   
The Wire is possibly the most well written television series ever.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 06:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I would personally take Breaking Bad over The Wire..
From star to finish BB maintained such a high level

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 10:07 AM
link   

The Wire definitely was great. Go back a little further, and Oz was probably my favorite HBO series, with Deadwood being 2nd.

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 11:33 AM
link   
American Horror Story
Mad Men-currently watching I love it. 1960's Ad Men on Madison Avenue.

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 01:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: peter_kandra
The Wire definitely was great. Go back a little further, and Oz was probably my favorite HBO series, with Deadwood being 2nd.

Oz was like Game of Thrones but set in a prison. You never knew who was going to get offed.

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Loved The Wire up until the moment Marlo Stanfield took over after the Barksdale crew went away, Marlo snoop and Chris just didnt have the same gravitas.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Banshee isn't half bad if you haven't seen it.

Salem is another one.

The originals. Vampire flick and you won't find any glitter on 'em.

There is nothing out there like Justified.

Now if I could only find me something to watch.

I am fresh out.

Oh yeah.

In to the Badlands from AMC.
edit on 3-1-2016 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 06:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: evenkeel
just started farscape on netflix good show even has a muppet

One of my fav shows in the last 20 years. I'm halfway through season 2 of Ray Donovan. It's good. Think McSopranos with a little touch of Breaking Bad.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join