It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wayne Rogers, Trapper John on 'M*A*S*H*,' dies at 82

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 07:15 AM
link   
www.foxnews.com...

Trapper is gone. I loved MASH and still watch it on Netflix. Trapper and Hawkeye got in to so much trouble and then seemed to slide out with no trouble. Well, other than angry nurses.
R.I.P. Trapper John.

'M*A*S*H*,' dies at 82
Published January 01, 2016Associated Press
Facebook198 Twitter0 Email Print

LOS ANGELES – Wayne Rogers, whose Trapper John McIntyre alongside Alan Alda's Hawkeye Pierce brought mischief, martinis and meatball surgery to the masses in the 1970s every week on "M.A.S.H.," has died.

The actor was surrounded by family when he died Thursday in Los Angeles of complications from pneumonia at age 82, his publicist and longtime friend Rona Menashe told The Associated Press.

Rogers' army surgeon Trapper John was one of the most beloved characters -- and half of one of the most beloved duos -- in TV history, despite the actor's appearing in only the first three of the show's 11 seasons on CBS.

edit on 1-1-2016 by DAVID64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 07:19 AM
link   
I saw this on yahoo news earlier this morning. I love MASH and always enjoyed watching him. He was also on Fox News as a commentator about financial stuff as I recall.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 07:23 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

I just checked him out on IMBD and he never really worked outside of tv?

It's funny how one great charecter can cement someone so firmly in your mind.

Also suprised that there were so few episodes of M.A.S.H.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 07:30 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

There are 11 seasons of MASH. It holds the record for the longest running show in TV history. Wayne Rodgers went on to become a financial advisor/investor and from what I understand, he was pretty good at it.

How's your head this morning?
edit on 1-1-2016 by DAVID64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 07:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific

I just checked him out on IMBD and he never really worked outside of tv?

It's funny how one great charecter can cement someone so firmly in your mind.

Also suprised that there were so few episodes of M.A.S.H.

The series actually ran about 5 years or so. You can probably go to Netflix or somewhere like that and find more episodes. Wayne Rogers actually left the series, as I recall, about half way through.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 07:34 AM
link   
a reply to: maybee

Rodgers himself was on for the first 3 seasons, then left because of "creative differences", to be replaced by Mike Ferrel who played BJ Hunnicutt

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 07:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64

There are 11 seasons of MASH. It holds the record for the longest running show in TV history. Wayne Rodgers went on to become a financial advisor/investor and from what I understand, he was pretty good at it.

How's your head this morning?

Oh yes, sorry I forgot that he was not in the show for the whole time, 73 episodes seemed a little shorter than I remember.

Do you mean US history as to the record?

Coronation street in the UK has been on since 1960, there are charecters that have been in nearly 2000 episodes alone.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Thanks. I was just trying to remember who the other guy was

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Yeah, in the U.S. anyway. Wow! That's a long time playing one character.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 07:38 AM
link   

I had no idea he was that old. very sad.;(

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Yeah, in the U.S. anyway. Wow! That's a long time playing one character.

Lol it's on a couple of times a week but one bloke was in it from 1960 until last year.

As to M.A.S.H I cannot watch it anymore as there were a couple of episodes that were just too sad.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Then don't watch the very last one.
"Goodbye, Farewell and Amen" was probably the saddest episode of any TV show I've ever seen. It about 90 minutes long and you better have a whole box of tissue.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 07:45 AM
link   

"Goodbye, Farewell and Amen" was probably the saddest episode of any TV show I've ever seen. It about 90 minutes long and you better have a whole box of tissue.

That was one of the them, The others when they kept the guy alive until christmas was over so his kid did not remember it as the day he died and another where Hawkeye has a breakdown after a hostage situation on a bus and a woman kills her baby...

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Hawkeye has a breakdown after a hostage situation on a bus and a woman kills her baby...

That's the last one.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Sad to hear this...he was a great character...and, apparently an expert investor and money manager. I remember him as a guest on many FOX business shows.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Hawkeye has a breakdown after a hostage situation on a bus and a woman kills her baby...

That's the last one.

My bad, it was a long time and I have tried to block the image from my mind.

It was amazing but not something I would choose to watch again.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 08:25 AM
link   

The twist with Klinger was good though

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Coronation street in the UK has been on since 1960,

However that is still not the worlds and UK's longest running continual TV Series. That honour goes to BBC's "The Sky At Night " which began in 1957.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Wow. One of my all time favs! This was GOOD t.v. & even the commercials back then were bearable.

G'night soldier. RIP

top topics

join