It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS from January 1st 2006 the conspiracy world a decade ago today.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 09:08 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Nah.

edit on 1/1/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 09:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

Nah.

But, my second-ever thread got 101 flags!!
It was in Aliens & UFOs.

Well this is the history forum. It would be rude not to have a link to such an historic event.

101 flags for something that is not a current event of off topic thread is rare these days.

It must have been front pagetastic!

Go on, find the thread and match it to a waybeyond machine link that would be pretty cool.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 09:23 AM
link   

New Year, you know. Why dig up my sordid past?

challenge retracted.....

LOL!!

edit on 1/1/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: DAMMIT nonspecific! Trying to get me in trouble? I was at your PARTY yesterday!! :0

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Friendly reminder.....

Remember: it's against the rules to refer to any old banned accounts as prior accounts.

It's nice to remember. However, it's against the rules to point to an old account and go "That was me."

Doing so can be a problem.

Just a friendly reminder.

Do not reply to this post.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 09:29 AM
link   
I take it that your opinion has changed then

The only time I made it to the top position on the front page was a thread about David Icke.

All my other stars and flags come from general chit chat nonsense.

I like the challenge though...
edit on 1/1/2016 by nonspecific because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 09:33 AM
link   
edit: SORRY mods...I thought it was probably not a good idea.....nm.

SHAME ON YOU, non!!!!

Ah, how we learn and evolve here. I remember it was very intimidating being a newbie...
I remember an old thread that MaxMars made about how ATS members develop over time...
FAR more interesting reading.

The stages of the journey into the community of ATS

edit on 1/1/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: woops!!!!

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Interesting... the UFO forum is remarkably free of the word "disclosure." I guess this was before someone figured out how to make money off of it:

web.archive.org...://www.abovetopsecret.com/pages/ufos.html

In fact, almost nothing in that forum was current. the "Krill Papers," an early attempt at "Disclosure" were dated "1988." Other threads were about Donald Kehoe and Project Blue Book.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 09:54 AM
link   
That was not my fault

I have not read the link yet but the OP is a lyrical marvel. I shall read it with interest and also be a little sad that they seem to no longer post.

There writing style seems on par with a still contributing English member with a big beard and there are not enough of these kinds of contributors any more.
edit on 1/1/2016 by nonspecific because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Does anyone remember that huge abduction thread that was eventually deemed the OP's attempt to write a fictional scifi story? I wish I could remember more details but It was pretty epic.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Here's a clip from Maxmars' treatise on the evolution of ATS membership (I broke up the paragraph for easier reading):

Where totality diverges from other stages is in the propensity for members to recall ‘the good old days’ where ‘things were better’.

Members in the totality stage recognize the ebb and flow of seasonal traffic and have seen the repeated dynamics which come into play as politically active influences begin to attempt to manipulate the community in the struggle for political support during election season.

If that bit isn't relevant now, I don't know what is......

These members are not easily moved into the less resilient mindset of “ATS has gone downhill” or other such passé declarations; and generally recollect the differences between ‘now’ and ‘then’ as less distracting than newer members or members with less personal commitment to the community.

This OP of Maxmars' is an eloquent and impressive delineation of the 'growth' of ATS members from initial exposure to 'resident' status. For what it's worth -
I appreciate the outlet and the moderated communication venue that ATS provides.

Keep it classy, ATS!

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 11:10 AM
link   
a reply to: homeskillet

Do you have a link to that thread?

It sounds like a good read and as cynical as we are these days something to look back on.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 11:28 AM
link   

No, I'm trying to remember who the op was or the title.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Razmijix

Nice..I actually remember this look. ATS seemed a lot more active back then, As far as new threads anyway.
I remember those days too. I agree ATS seemed more active, cutting edge and exciting. Interesting times, people seemed more open without coming off as gullible.

I'd say back then ATS was more sci fi/UFO/conspiracy/spiritual less political/mainstream religion. Maybe that's just what first appealed to me.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: homeskillet
Does anyone remember that huge abduction thread that was eventually deemed the OP's attempt to write a fictional scifi story? I wish I could remember more details but It was pretty epic.

Is it the one that Slenderman made his first appearance in? He was looking out his window and saw a strange looking man....

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Morningglory

"I'd say back then ATS was more sci fi/UFO/conspiracy/spiritual less political/mainstream religion. Maybe that's just what first appealed to me."

I totally agree with this statement as it is also what first brought me to ATS.

These days I find myself delving less into the spiritual and more into the physical aspects of life (politics, socio-economic disparities etc..)

During that time period, from when I was a lurker to becoming a member, I guess the real noticeable personal effect would be that I am now more miserable/cynical.

That's not to say that ATS is the cause of those emotions, rather it has been a template for me to express my views during different and often difficult situations I find myself in (life).

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: DJW001

Nah, it was well before the slender man phenomenon.

It had a sexy alien abduction scenario chock full of intrigue lol. People either loved or hated it.

Eh I can't remember either way

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Happy New year 2016 promises to be filled with all the CT we can stand.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 02:58 PM
link   
That was a nice trip down memory lane. Thanks. The links worked fine for me, by the way.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 03:02 PM
link   

let's just say i am a old stoner

thanks for the memory's

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: homeskillet

Nah, it was well before the slender man phenomenon.

So was the thread I am thinking about. It was in the paranormal forum and was purportedly being reported "live" on a daily, or even hour to hour basis. It involved a tall, thin, shadowy grey figure lurking in or near the poster's parking lot. In retrospect, it may have been the creator of Slenderman sketching out ideas on an unsuspecting audience.
edit on 1-1-2016 by DJW001 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join