It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fukushima radiation causes debilitating deformities in US Navy sailors

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 04:01 AM
link   

(NaturalNews) U.S. Navy sailors and Marines dispatched to provide aid to Japan following the massive earthquake and tsunami in 2011 are now suffering a variety of rare and undiagnosed health problems, including many involving horrifying and visible changes to their bodies.

According to Bonner, the plaintiffs have suffered a litany of health problems including cancer, tumors, brain defects, birth defects, early death and a wide variety of undiagnosed conditions. These are "very serious illnesses for a very large population of very young people," he said.

Fukushima radiation causes debilitating deformities in US Navy sailors

Another wake-up call concerning what's seeping out of the Fukushima plant daily. Does this kind of evidence disprove hormesis when it comes to the isotopes emanating from Fukushima?

The above is just another example of why no one should even think about volunteering for the US military. Why were the soldiers mentioned above sacrificed? They weren't going to stop the Fukushima disaster because humans don't have the ability to do that. The US government looks at soldiers just as Henry Kissinger stated I'm afraid:

Henry Kissinger — 'Military men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in foreign policy.'

The thing I find the saddest about that is how Americans see it happening and they don't care. I don't see how people can actually believe America stands for anything good anymore.
edit on 1-1-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 04:12 AM
link   
Does the carrier itself generate much radiation for the crew ?

It might be a combined effect of Fukushima exposure AND whatever levels they are exposed to on the Carrier itself

While I'm all for Nuclear power as a source of clean energy I don't think we should ever had begun using it so widespread until we had figured out better methods of containing any meltdown and making any meltdown much safer and less catastrophic, as the risks when something goes wrong far outweigh the benefits of the energy we get as it is.

Not to mention all the waste we bury deep underground, essentially akin to sweeping the dirt under the rug

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 05:03 AM
link   
Any idea of the numbers involved. ie, ratio to what would be considered normal or average illness levels as on civvy street. If we are talking 10% of the crew some could argue this is no different from say a group of people working in the city.

I'm sure the ship would have monitored radiation levels in the air at the time, but did they monitor the drinking water.? IIRC those ships have a desalination plant on board.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 06:38 AM
link   
OP's source is deeply questionable.
There appears to be no reputable news site covering this...
Sorry.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 06:43 AM
link   
I'll see your Kissinger and raise you a Mother Teresa

“We, the unwilling,led by the unknowing,are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much,for so long,with so little,we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.”

Is this thread going to be about concern for the radiation in Japan from the Fukushima debacle?
Is is a thread to get some kicks in on the American serviceman and women who serve their nation?
Or is it simply what it appears and just a low blow attempt to use anything possible to attack America?

Just curious where you see the thread going?

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 06:49 AM
link   
NaturalNews as a source = natural skepticism as a reaction. Sorry, not buying this.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 06:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Iamnotadoctor
OP's source is deeply questionable.
Sorry.

An absolute lie! I found articles on this issue from spiegel.de and theguardian.com in a very quick Google search.

originally posted by: Blazemore2000
NaturalNews as a source = natural skepticism as a reaction. Sorry, not buying this.

I found the following on Google's first page after doing a search for "U.S. Navy sailors fukushima", are you even trying?

USS Reagan Sailors Sue for Nuclear Justice

www.youtube.com...

Fukushima
US sailors prepare for fresh legal challenge over Fukushima radiation
$1bn lawsuit accuses Tepco of failing to avoid the accident and of lying about radiation levels that have caused health problems to themselves and their families stationed in Japan
www.theguardian.com...

On March 11, 2011, the American aircraft carrier USS Ronald Reagan received orders to change course and head for the east coast of Japan, which had just been devastated by a tsunami. The Ronald Reagan had been on its way to South Korea when the order reached it and Captain Thom Burke, who was in charge of the ship along with its crew of 4,500 men and women, duly redirected his vessel. The Americans reached the Japanese coastline on March 12, just north of Sendai and remained in the region for several weeks. The mission was named Tomodachi.

The word tomodachi means "friends." In hindsight, the choice seems like a delicate one.
www.spiegel.de...

edit on 1-1-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 07:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion
Am I even trying what? To provide decent sources for your story? No... I am not. That's your responsibility from the get go... not mine ... or anyone else's for that matter.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Am I even trying what? To provide decent sources for your story? No... I am not. That's your responsibility from the get go... not mine ... or anyone else's for that matter.

You wrote, "Sorry, not buying this." based on the source. That's a textbook case of the genetic fallacy.

The reason I asked, "...are you even trying?" is because if you're judging the veracity of anything based solely on the "quality" of the source, what are you doing on a conspiracy forum? The kind of analyzing you're did is the kind of analyzing that doesn't belong on a site like this IMHO as it's the antithesis of what a site like this is for. So, it's perfectly appropriate for me to ask if you're trying.

It's not the responsibility of the thread starter on a CT site to look for the best available source for information because the source should be irrelevant. We should all be beyond depending on sources on CT sites.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 07:47 AM
link   
When the only source you provide is widely known for putting out nonsense, I very much disagree.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 08:22 AM
link   

When the only source you provide is widely known for putting out nonsense, I very much disagree.

At the bottom of the article I linked to from naturalnews.com is a list of sources:

Sources:

enenews.com...

enenews.com...

www.spiegel.de...

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

www.komonews.com...

That list includes the article I posted above from spiegel.de and the YouTube video of Charles Bonner speaking. The list of sources is part of the article. So, you're lying when you claim, "When the only source you provide is widely known for putting out nonsense." The article I posted had many other sources which are far more trustworthy than naturalnews.com.

[snipped] You just look at the website name and that's enough for you to proclaim "Sorry, not buying this."?

[snipped]
edit on Fri Jan 1 2016 by DontTreadOnMe because: Community Announcement re: Decorum

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Sorry. Off-topic.
edit on 1/1/16 by 123143 because: OFF-TOPIC.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 10:17 AM
link   
If it happened to the sailors that close I wonder if Japan isn't hiding some numbers of their own on the people that lived nearby.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Discotech
Does the carrier itself generate much radiation for the crew ?

It might be a combined effect of Fukushima exposure AND whatever levels they are exposed to on the Carrier itself

While I'm all for Nuclear power as a source of clean energy I don't think we should ever had begun using it so widespread until we had figured out better methods of containing any meltdown and making any meltdown much safer and less catastrophic, as the risks when something goes wrong far outweigh the benefits of the energy we get as it is.

Not to mention all the waste we bury deep underground, essentially akin to sweeping the dirt under the rug

No. All ships are equipped with NBC (Nuclear, Biological and Chemical) detection systems. The water filtering system boils the water and filters out impurities (amoeba, chemicals, bacteria).

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 11:27 AM
link   
First the US nuked Japan, then got them to nuke themselves.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 11:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Iamnotadoctor

Sorry.

A vacuum of information is telling, isn't it? Instead of dumping a "nothing to see here, move along" quip, maybe you should help.

Huffington

Search results

edit on 1-1-2016 by intrptr because: links

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 11:36 AM
link   
One of our very own ATS members had divulged to me in PM's his role during the disaster as an american soldier stationed in Japan. Love to show you this, but I promised to maintain his anonymity, and since the record of private messages have been expunged, I wouldn't know where to even look for the conversations we had about it.

He was stationed on a US base and ventured out daily in vehicles to help people after the Tsunami. Upon returning to base, their vehicle's wheel wells, tires and radiators were checked by guards at the gate and were hotter than hell from the roads they drove upon. This was miles from the plant right after the disaster.

His health is compromised, after returning to the US he has chronic headaches and periodic nosebleeds. But doesn't know what to do, he's' been told there is no cause for alarm by his superiors.

He's not so sure, but can't afford the kind of testing to determine whether he's been exposed, at what level and what the consequences might be.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 12:24 PM
link   
This has been coming for a long time now. I remember commenting on this topic several years ago. I'll try to find my post because it contains some interesting research.

One thing I specifically remember is that the water desalination system had to be shut down because it couldn't handle the radioactive sea water that the ship had sailed through. There is actual audio of the captain saying something to the effect that the crew needed to "husband" their water resources. In the end the entire potable water system of the carrier had to be purged and cleaned.

I recall that the ventilation system also had to be shut down. While the carrier has infrastructure in place to handle a radioactive environment, none of those systems had even been tested or exercised since the end of the cold war.

-dex

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr
Thanks for those links. They, at least, provide some balance:

David Brenner, director of the Center for Radiological Research at Columbia University Medical Center in New York, concluded the same from the estimates. "All the doses are indeed very low, and the chances that these radiation exposures could lead to a cancer are very small indeed," he said.

Brenner noted that no exposure to radiation is risk-free. "Rather," he said, "the risk is very low."

Dr. Lydia Zablotska, an epidemiologist with expertise in radiation at the University of California, San Francisco, said she agreed that the exposures estimated by the government were "miniscule." She said it is impossible to link specific health problems in individuals to a radiation exposure.

"It could be genetics, smoking or radiation -- and the leukemia would look exactly that same," Zablotska said.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

It can be claimed that the source for the data is inaccurate and indeed one of the plaintiffs was a radiation-decontamination officer and claims very high levels of exposure. That data should be brought out in court and will help to resolve the matter.

Of course, it is hard to forget the Agent Orange fiasco.

edit on 1/1/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Misleading headline is misleading.

Of the conditions listed in your quote the only ones that could plausibly be definitely linked to radiation are the cancer and tumors and those are generally called "cancer" and "tumors" not debilitating deformities which, I suspect, is used specifically to conjure up visions of Fallout 4 style mutants. Brain defects, while technically possible in those who are still 18 or 19, are not going to be anything like you would see in a child who still have radical neurological growth and changes coming on. Birth defects happen to you in utero, and all of these sailors are already born. Early death can happen for a variety of reasons beyond radiation, and "a wide variety of undiagnosed conditions" could have pre-existed any radiation exposure and thus not been caused by it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join