It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2016

page: 78
<< 75  76  77    79  80  81 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: AlexanderM
No problem. Also I should have mentioned that on the preliminary data there is no noticeable increase in quakes on land along the eastern honshu, just the normal background stuff in the mountains north of Hitachi

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Hey, I'm crazy. And, I just look at a small around the NMSZ. I thought, no big deal. And, in my crazy brain, my only real math, I said, " ... it's drip, ... drip ... drop. Slow.

Then swear, ten minutes later I look and there's one 3.2M. I'm sure no big deal. It's just that I had looked at the seven days and was wondering about it doing something. And what do you know, it did something. It's not that big, but they haven't much broken the 3M range.

Also, weak northern Nevada and a weak one near Challis Idaho. They still chime in like times, but how the heck do they do that when we are talking very small earthquakes. It's like a hiccup that has a tiny echo.

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 08:19 PM
link   
a reply to: ericblair4891

Yea. I saw that one too Eric.

3.2 SW of caruthersville, Mo
earthquake.usgs.gov...-info

The magnitudes keep going up in that area lately.

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 11:30 PM
link   
5.8 near east coast of Honshu
need to check out the elapsed time on that one and compare with some other mag 7's, there may be a common time lapse which may be helpful in the future.
We are still waiting for our mag 6-7 from the Hope Fault.
Over 600 buildings in the Wellington CBD have been evacuated for secondary inspection.

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 12:11 PM
link   
further to: muzzy

E OFF FUKUSHIMA PREF 22 Nov 2016JST
Reviewed data is in now;
7.4D (Magnitude calculated using displacement)
6.8V (Magnitude calculated using velocity)

In the first 18 hours, reviewed data is not 4x as many I predicted a few days ago, but the numbers are double. I based that 4x on E Tottori, but of course that spat out hundreds of magnitudes less than mag 1, which this one is probably doing as well, but being offshore harder to locate. Time will tell.
Here is a table showing the difference between Automatic and reviewed data from NIED. Which goes to show that automatic data only goes so far to being helpful in the immediate period after a big quake.

So this is a pretty big quake, luckily it was offshore.
The largest aftershock has been the 5.8 (now 6.0 preliminary/automatic) at 48:23:50 elapsed time, 30.78km SW of the 7.4
The length of the main core of this aftershock series (I don't believe this is a specific fault, but that this is a subduction quake and the aftershocks are just following the section that is slipping after the main shock) is currently 53.49km long by 30.84 km wide.
E off Fukushima page
On the timeline graph I have marked the Reviewed data in Red and the Preliminary data in Orange for now.
I have hours and hours of trace graphs saved, just need to string them together and mark the magnitudes.

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Oh My! A big one off Nicaragua. Can't say I'm surprised, been waiting for months. I hope the tsunami isn't big. 7 M+

earthquake.usgs.gov...

No Tsunami warning. Well, there was for about one minute. Then it was cancelled.

Okay, let's no doubt anymore. There is a giant storm right over Central America, right near where the big earthquake hit. The winds, are super strong on the west side of the narrow strip of land. And there a storm with waves and low pressure on the east side of Nicaragua.

The fault was ready to go, and the weather triggered it.

edit on 24-11-2016 by ericblair4891 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I hope the link I provide works. (What stupendous ADHD-planning skills I have: Gee, lemme try something NEW while the turkey is in the oven & family arrives in 20 minutes! YES! THIS is the time to check in and post on ATS!)

hisz.rsoe.hu...

It seems very recently, west of El Salvador coastline, Mother Earth had a 7.2 (more than 1 in that range? perhaps?). I also noted what seems to be a Tropical Storm just east of where this hit, whose path is due to intersect with this EQ w/in a few days...? (Thinking of the air pressure effecting EQs, as someone here previously theorized.)

If my blonde hair doesn't prevent me trying to edu-ma-cate m'self as ya'll share your wisdom here....I think it would seem our Pacifica Plate had a 7+ at about the 7 o'clock position just short of 2 weeks ago? Then the Pacifica Plate had a 6-7 at about the 4 o'clock about a week ago? Then a few days ago, Japan- 8 o'clock?- had their panties blown off again (damn, those are some tough folks!!) with that 7ish a few days back.... Now we have a 7+ 3 o'clock.....? And.....uh....this makes us SoCal Fruits n Nuts, like, WAY THE F*CK OVERDUE. Am I getting this sort of correct? Like.....when I was pregnant with twins, and expanding....I didn't expand JUST at my belly....as anyone here can attest, whose witnessed the lovely Expansion Du Arse that happens at this time as well....and Expansion Du Thighs....and....

Now I have one minute til the in-laws get here. Cuz, that's how I roll.

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Big edit. The video is fake. DON'T WATCH.

The USGS missed the ball on this one. They missed the tsunami warning. I thought they had one on the USGS, but I heard about the warning on the BBC as I heard the first reports.

Umm, then I read the comments and this wasn't from the earthquake. some idiot posted another video. it's a fake. ahhhhhhh grrrr

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Big Edit Noted
First time I ever visited this site was because of a google link to a thread called the "Quakewatch" and because I'd searched online and had become convinced the Madrid Fault was about to pop, anytime. Here I am again, ? years later because I believe the pattern of earthquakes from NZ Australia Japan etc in the Pacific are headed our way, and coming from that direction? Lower middle of the U.S. would get hit before California.
edit on 24-11-2016 by shell69 because: Because I think faster than I can type

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I really don't get why people do that.
What is the point of posting a title relating to something that just happened, then showing a video of something that happened somewhere else in the world, years ago.
It's just plain dumb-ass.
That supposed tsunami at Kaikoura posted 12 days ago on utube was the same, the original poster never came back to acknowledge it was an older vid, and then people started arguing with each other over what a tsunami was
Of course I twigged right away, as the earthquake happened at just after midnight, and the supposed tsunami was in broad daylight. There is no way it would take 5hours to travel 40km, doh
there are a lot of really stupid people in the world, with too much time on their hands.

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Indeed there was a tsunami, even if it was small
webcritech.jrc.ec.europa.eu...

edit on 1100000032832816 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

I put the animation link on directly as I had trouble getting it up on the main page, which is here, gives the heights
www.gdacs.org...

edit on 1100000032932916 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2016 @ 01:42 AM
link   
a reply to: HollywoodFarmGirl
I like your anology with the Pacific Plate and the Hours of the Clock face,
good idea for a blog
"the clock is ticking"

your time will come, but you won't like it when it does

posted on Nov, 25 2016 @ 08:02 AM
link   
a reply to: muzzy

I love the animation. Too cool. But it wasn't some large wave like in the video. I'd hate to see what a massive earthquake would do to Central America. I'm glad the one I've been waiting for was only a 7M with no deaths. I'm going to pretend like there's no possibility of a mega one, even though there still is. Ecuador went off, now Central America. Well... There's a big gap north of there... moving on

I could post this on Yellowstone. But hey, there's been a swarm, funny thing, it's not at Norris like I expected the next swarm. It's somewhere to the southwest of the park. The dumb assess at the Utah and such are slow and have no info. I'll post a shot in a moment or two.

Oh my again. I was looking to see if someone had posted info on the Utahish earthquakes when I noticed another big bump...

6.5M in Asia. I'm not going to try and spell... Tajikastan Ta, oh forget it...
earthquake.usgs.gov...

I was close, Tajikistan.

Oh, and this recent month or so, must help prove the clustering of earthquakes. There's been a bunch. If clustering is a factor, then there must be a common link. Even if that link is multifaceted.

And duh, the reason for no earthquakes anywhere on the map in the whole area cover by Utah and Yellowstone, is that it is a holiday. Thanksgiving in the USA. I forgot being a Canuckistanian.

So, if Yellowstone were to start to blow up today, you'd get no official notice of any earthquakes preceding the events. So, trust me to watch...

And technically, the 6.5M is in China. It's near the border with Tajikistan, but it's in China. Gee, I knew how to spell China. Stupid locations. Oh, and they just posted a 5.0M that preceded the bigger bump.

edit on 25-11-2016 by ericblair4891 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2016 @ 10:10 AM
link   
After finally moving the last week i can make my way back to reading.

M6.5 - 49km NE of Karakul, Tajikistan

2016-11-25 14:24:29 UTC

39.273°N 74.010°E

12.0 km depth

Nearby Places
Murghob, Tajikistan
122.4 km (76.1 mi) NPopulation: 10,815

Kashgar, China
172.0 km (106.9 mi) WPopulation: 274,717

Osh, Kyrgyzstan
173.7 km (107.9 mi) SEPopulation: 200,000

Uzgen, Kyrgyzstan
176.9 km (109.9 mi) SSEPopulation: 40,360

Kara Suu, Kyrgyzstan
186.6 km (115.9 mi) SSEPopulation: 17,800

posted on Nov, 25 2016 @ 11:11 AM
link   
E OFF FUKUSHIMA PREF reviewed
That big aftershock at 48 hours elapsed time
2016-11-24 06:23:36, 37.175, 141.346, 23.8
6.2D (Magnitude calculated using displacement)
5.8V (Magnitude calculated using velocity)

FWIW this was the 200,283rd earthquake recorded in Japan in 2016

posted on Nov, 25 2016 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Oh, and this recent month or so, must help prove the clustering of earthquakes. There's been a bunch. If clustering is a factor, then there must be a common link. Even if that link is multifaceted.

I notice there is a lot of big ones when I have to keep going back to ikimaps and build a new map every time there is a quake over 6.5,
its a PITA, but the only system that will let me show interactive icons on a global scaled map. (Google and Bing maps are defuncted)
2 more to add today then.

posted on Nov, 25 2016 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Even now there was a moderate 5+M near Taiwan. The dumbasses got it listed as Japan when it is very near Taiwan. Here's a picture. There is a storm, and the winds are whipping around the island.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Oh, and now I'm lazy. There is a low pressure and storm off the Philippines and there is a minor earthquake right near it. 4.Something...

posted on Nov, 25 2016 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: muzzy
good idea for a blog
"the clock is ticking"

I noticed when I first started watching quakes, how so often they seem to 'ping pong' back & forth across the Pacific. I used to track them back when I had more time! I'll have to try & pay attention again! Thinking in terms of a clock face would make it much easier to see if a pattern develops!

WOQ

posted on Nov, 25 2016 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: wasobservingquietly

Yeah me too.
One thing I noticed from making that map of 7's is that no one in the scientific community has mentioned the NZ East Cape Ridge 7 being the previous last 7 before the Hope Fault 7.8 and what effect that may have had in pulling the Marlborough area apart.

edit (before the 4hr ATS posting time limit expires in less than 2 hrs)
also noted at the start, Alaska to Kamchatka, then
straight line to Sumatra and back up the same line to Kumamoto
I know thereare no straight lines like that in nature, but interesting none the less.

I did one of the early days records of mag 8's, 314AD to 1611AD
instead of the Pacific Plate being the pin pong table it was Central Asia then, with a few lines probing out to South America west coast, but
likely based more on what data is available rather than the actual events that were happening, Vanuatu, Solomons surely were active back then too.
For some reason there is always on track line that pops off to the other side of the map, messes things up

posted on Nov, 25 2016 @ 03:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: muzzy
good idea for a blog
"the clock is ticking"

Thank you so much, Muzzy! Not so much as for the reality of what awaits, ut rather, as a Visual Student, this graphic is deliciously intoxicating. It shows the Ping-Ponging eastwest, in addition to illustrating the northward/southward rippling-wave-like effect.

I wonder if one were to apply this visual with all 7+ within the past, say, 50 years....I'd try to see "when" this ping pong dance commenced...or if there is a beginning...? Has it always ping-pong-ed, these EQs...this crust movement? If I apply the ol' physics law, "something in motion stays in motion until acted upon by an outside force", can I reckon there would be a pattern over the eons? Can I reckon that, indeed, these rippling/ping-pong-ing affects are but a mere slice in what is, over eons, a massively enormous global pie?

Additionally, here's another question: ya know the Juan de Fuca plate, and that wonderful Nobel Prize-winning article?
www.newyorker.com...

Of course, I would be one of the readers who had to put the laptop down, and use my hands to help me understand the predicted outcome of the Oregon/Washington area. (If you read it, you'll understand what I'm talking about.) Now here's my question: Is it, in fact, the ONLY outcome possible, from such an earthly need to release this pressure? Like, why would the plates crush into each other, with somewhat equal pressure from both sides, thus resulting in some sort of crazy eclipse of one land mass over the other? (This crossed my mind as I watched my children jerk on that wish bone yesterday, each hoping for the "bigger half".) Are the two plates that different, in fact, in pressure and mass? Is it possible that the two "linebacking plates" in fact press against one another, shoulder to shoulder, and instead of one linebacker "predictably" going towards the ground, with the other linebacker shooting upward........is there any way there could be an outcome like Ray Nitschke & Dick Butkus hitting each other...? Visually meaning, if Nitschke and Butkus were charge each other, or heck, even if they were to begin by slowly pushing against each other shoulder-to-shoulder (Juan de Fuca and the north American plate), there is no guarantee that ONE of them is surely hitting the ground, whilst the other slaps over the top? In my mind, I see them building the pressure between them...and even though they both started bent over and in "starting position"....the pressure between the two could surely lift their shoulders/heads Upward, right? Making more of a sharpened mountain, if you will, than a bump in a tectonic rug, wherein another rug lies beneath.

Or did I just add too much nutmeg in my pumpkin pie?

new topics

top topics

<< 75  76  77    79  80  81 >>

join