It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2016

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 08:54 PM
link   
further to: muzzy
Well that didn't last long.
China data is missing 2 sets of a whole week in 2016
22-27 March
and 22Jan-5th Feb
not sure what that is about.
I recall when the Sichuan M8.1 quake of 2008 was aftershocking there were some big gaps, like whole days were missing in the series.

posted on Apr, 3 2016 @ 12:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: ericblair4891
a reply to: muzzy

As for magnitude, I'm so obsessed with Hawthorne that the thought of magnitude boggles my mind.
Right now, there's question marks for magnitudes and some of the rest are in the negative range. All I know is that there is a list with almost sixty new earthquakes. So to my mind, wow, it's a spike. Yet, I know that the real energy is not that much when I guesstimate at the total energy in terms of magnitude.

Heck, I don't even know if I know what the heck is going on when it comes to the fault itself. For example, locations. When I'm looking at the map the locations are all over the place. Yet, in my dumb mind I keep thinking that if these earthquakes are on the same fault the should line up neatly. I know there is much more to know when it comes to the different faults with the differing depths. So, when you take in all the factors, it all gets very complex.

There is definitely something going on in the folds of those Garfield Hills, I called the area Alkell Flat, as that is the only mark near there on the USGS Topo map.
The area of that part of this series is 6km SW to NE and 3km W to E, from the Lazy Man Mine in the valley to Alkell Flat in the Hills (NE corner of the black dot markers in the map below)
rightclickviewimageforfullsize

Weekly Update on 03/04/2016 NZST
since 25/03/2016 20:42
You are right about that "spike", see the graph below, that 3.23 kicked off another flurry of smaller ones.
rightclickviewimageforfullsize

170 new quakes East of Hawthorne, 11 of those at Montreal Canyon, 162 in Alkell Flat section of the Garfield Hills (Soda Springs Valley), 8 randomly around the area, and 19 at Walker Lake

edit on 04000000939316 by muzzy because: on the graph the red asterix * on the red line is where I left it last week

posted on Apr, 3 2016 @ 03:43 AM
link   
M7.2 - 77km WSW of Sola, Vanuatu

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Time
2016-04-03 08:23:49 (UTC)
2016-04-03 01:23:49 (UTC-07:00) in your timezone
Times in other timezones
Nearby Cities
77km (48mi) WSW of Sola, Vanuatu
151km (94mi) N of Luganville, Vanuatu
420km (261mi) NNW of Port-Vila, Vanuatu
745km (463mi) N of We, New Caledonia
881km (547mi) N of Paita, New Caledonia

posted on Apr, 3 2016 @ 04:03 AM
link   

my NIED account is closed for renewal. Hopefully they get it running again by the morning, I'm waiting for their e-mail to continue.
Shouldn't have left it until the last minute.

No you should not have. Mine is OK I renewed it at the start of March. Can I get some data for you? Email me.
edit on 3/4/2016 by PuterMan because: tttags!!!!

posted on Apr, 3 2016 @ 04:07 AM
link   
a reply to: ericblair4891

t is easy to confuse the Greek god of time, Chronos (Χρόνος), with Zeus’ Titan father, Kronos (Κρόνος). So easy, in fact, that the conflation has been made for over two thousand years. The Greeks conflated them regularly, at least according to Plutarch. The Romans then coopted Kronos into the form of Saturn, who later became known as Father Time and the god of time.

To make things even more confusing, sometime in the late Roman Empire, Saturn was then conflated with the Greek concept of kairos, which designates a pregnant or opportune “special” time. Kairos is somewhat opposed to chronos, which signifies day-to-day time in general. Chronos is the quotidian, the recurrent, the passing of the years, while kairos is the moment, the event, the suspension of the normal. But both were piled onto Saturn over the centuries.

Source

Unexplode yourself!

posted on Apr, 3 2016 @ 04:12 AM
link   

Geez doesn't time fly by, I hadn't updated the data for 62 days!

Faster and faster as the days and weeks go by until eventually it becomes a blur and you spend all day doing one thing and think you have plenty of time but then it is the next day.

I have not updated my Quake Watch blog on WordPress for some time now I just realised - to busy doing genealogy which becomes more and more pressing as the days go by.

posted on Apr, 3 2016 @ 04:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: crappiekat
a reply to: SpaceJockey1

Puterman has that info on his WS. This is just the link.

qvsdata.wordpress.com...

This too is so out of date as to be useless. Like Muzzy I found no one was looking at it - may be one or two - and the time required to do it is huge so I dropped it. I still collect the data weekly, just don't process it to the web.

As with some other stuff it has been my intention to automate it, as with the earthquakes, but to be honest unless one actually has control of the server it is a little difficult. Just at the moment I can't afford to get a dedicated server and host WordPress rather than using the free version. One day.....

posted on Apr, 3 2016 @ 06:31 AM
link   
a reply to: dreamfox1

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Downgraded by USGS to 6.9
edit on 3-4-2016 by crappiekat because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2016 @ 07:06 PM
link   
a reply to: PuterMan

Yea, that would probably be me.

I really appreciate your work.

I do try and keep up.

However, as you have said. Real life get's in the way.

I appreciate the work you have done. I have learned alot from you.

And from Muzzy.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Could be an error, no one else has it, not EMSC, USGS, LDEO, GEOAU or GSRAS
Geofon (GFZ) 6.1 north of Wake Island, in the middle of no where in particular

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Hey Eric, It hasn't stopped.

They seem to be getting bigger.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

I have not found anything in the area. (fracking Pads. etc...)

What do you make of this?

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: crappiekat

I've said before that I think it's volcanic. Muzzy, thinks there leftovers from a big old earthquakes. You'll have to look back a page or so for his response. And, I think that it's connected to Northern Nevada, and Idaho.

Although, Northern Nevada is ebbing slightly, ignoring the tiny ones today, and the odd one in Idaho.

I'd saying something about Yellowstone except I'm uncomfortable. The online webicorder is off line. I could probably go on GEE but It's on my other computer and I weaned myself off that so I wouldn't be so obsessed. However, now I have no second source on the unknown is unknown and I don't like unknowns. Just think about that crazy speech by Donald Rumsfeld. When I know there are unknowns, I get anxious.

edit on 5-4-2016 by ericblair4891 because: (no reason given)

If anyone has GEE take a look and make sure that there's no volcanic tremor or bit earthquakes. I'm trying to ignore my anxiety. Right now as I type I'm listening to Rumsfeld arguing with Al Jazzerah during an interview. I'm sure Yellowstone isn't going to blow up. Today.

The only reason I doubt my own assertion is that The Moon is doing it's thing. Full and close. However, I've often argued it's the new moon is more influential. I'm watching the new few days closely. And then, again the moon is far and new in two weeks. It's spring too. I'll save space and just say I've said all this before regarding the moon and the gravitational pump.

So, if I am right, over the next few weeks, we should be getting some really big ones along with some activity on the volcano front. I've been watching volcanoes and we've had a bit of an uptick. However, it is really hard to gauge. Even with Puterman's reports I found it hard to really get a grip on how active or inactive the world's volcanoes really were.

Rumsfeld is evil. I considered him one of the four horsemen.

He's a ghoul.

His word's apparitions and shadows, always obscuring the truth in a fuzzy veil.

edit on 5-4-2016 by ericblair4891 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 07:53 PM
link   
3.5 magnitude earthquake strikes near Whidbey Island(Washington State); no damage

SEATTLE (AP) - A minor earthquake hit northwest Washington state on Tuesday morning.

The U.S. Geological Survey and the Pacific Northwest Seismic Network reported that the 3.5-magnitude temblor hit at 11:06 a.m. in the Strait of Juan de Fuca, Washington. It was about 32 miles deep, the USGS reported.

Source- KomoNews

It was reported felt by people in Vancouver, B.C. and Coupeville, Washington.

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 02:33 AM
link   
earthquake.usgs.gov...

6.9 Sola, Vanuatu

I couldn't sleep. Been thinking about this area.
edit on 6-4-2016 by crappiekat because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Now I know why the Yellowstone webicorders were not showing up on ISTHISTHINGON. www.isthisthingon.org...

I noticed that Utah had changed their page. I was confused because the webicorders have a date in different places so I was thinking it was stuck and got frustrated. But my frustration seems to pale considering the person who runs this page. I love it because it's so easy to see all the park in one glance. I can see dozens of graphs and instantly compare. GRRRRRIZZZZLY WAKE UP AND MADDDDDDDDD>> GGGGGRRRRRRR

This is a quote from the person operating the site, "So What Had Happened Was...

I've always gotten my images from the University of Utah, a.k.a. the UUSS. And sometime on the evening of April 4th, 2016, they suddenly completely changed how they provide those images. Rather, they got rid of those images. I'm therefore unable to archive them anymore or present them to you in the efficient fashion you've come to know and love.

From what I can tell so far about their changes, seismographic images have now become just "seismographic image." Every seismogram now shows only and exactly the past 24 hours of its life, as if they don't want anyone having the ability to look at its history even two days later. The filenames don't even have anything in them anymore but the station's ID. The only way for me to compensate for this is to only download each station's image once a day and then stick it in the archives. That means they'd never be live again. You'd have to go use their site to get live images. They couldn't have invented a better way to break my site if they tried. I'm not saying they were trying, but...

...but I don't know of another source for the old-style images. If you do, or have a better idea for how to compensate for the New Seismic Order, please write. If you don't, maybe utilizing the first link on this page instead will do more good. (But please be civil, internets.) I'm still waiting to hear back from them about whether the old-style seismograms are still being generated somewhere; they may be. But if not, there's no way I alone will ever get them to bring them back.

And, hey. At least the quakes still work.

Update, 4/6/2016: It's official. I got the following response: "For now, we will have only one day. We'll be working on having multiple days eventually. The old style Webicorders are no longer being generated." Which begs the question, why did they stop making them if they plan to start making them again "eventually?" Why do they consider restricting the amount of data they serve as an "improvement?" Sure, it's prettier now maybe, but it's almost completely useless. My conclusion: this was all intentional. They don't want us knowing anymore, and they'll never bring back the old-style seismograms. That or they were licensing the webicorder-generation software and decided they weren't going to pay for it anymore (exceedingly-unlikely, but I do know that Swarm, what they're using now, is free). I literally can't think of any other explanations... but I guarantee you that no true scientist would act like this. To scientists, more data is always better, and less data is always worse. This was not done for any scientific reason. This was all politics... unless they're trying to hide some event that they know is almost here...

I guess it's up to you. In the meantime I'll see what I can do to start archiving the new-style one-per-day images. They won't be live, but at least there'll still be history to look at. What a mess. I gotta get to work."

Muzzy, Puterman, or anyone who the wherewithal to help, please do. I don't like the blue graphs. I want to cry. I hate change. I know it needs to happen. But why can't it pass me by. I know why people freak when you change the look of a site, twitter user went mental when they were going to change things toooooo muccccchh. GGGGRRRRR. And, if these soft ware guys and girls are soooo smarat, why can't you keep a beta version of sorts for those that had dedicated years and years and had things just they liked it and were comfortable and you got to change. I remember when, ah, yes I am much older, I remember when my weather network site changed. At least they kept up the old version for months and kept urging everyone to change over. GRRRRRRRRR. I can't only imagine how the this thing is on Yellowstone page person is feeling.

I'm sure they're having a bad day.

edit on 6-4-2016 by ericblair4891 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 12:52 PM
link   
I can sympathize with isthisthingon admin. what a bummer.
Thats how I felt when Google discontinued Classic Maps, 9 years of work down the toilet. I was angry for a long time, its been over a year now and I still cannot get the same results with other mapping systems.
I had a look at the new graphs, there is no way those are an improvement, the lines are too thick, its hard to define small quakes.
isthisthingon has created a massive archive of over 98,000 graphs, something I doubt even the Networks bothered to keep.
It seems to be happening all throughout life these days, so called improvements are not improvements at all but cost cutting measures, less for more. Its like at the Supermarket, if it sells and is popular , discontinue the line and sell them some other crap at a higher price.

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: crappiekat
Geofon have a 6.0 aftershock
geofon.gfz-potsdam.de...

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Back in with NIED, had to e-mail them twice, blame the weekend, I guess they don't work the admin side over the weekend.
So SE of Kii Peninsula 6.5 then?
Not many aftershocks for such a big quake, and mostly small
mag~1= 5 mag1= 64 , mag2= 19 , mag3= 5 , mag4= 0 , mag5= 0 , mag6= 1 , total= 94 , total energy released= 84,807.221 TTNT
japanquakes.blogspot.co.nz...
I just don't GET Japan, despite all the time I have spent following their earthquakes,
Here we have a 6.5 with 94 aftershocks, when just this year we have had a 5.4 with 684 aftershocks, and a 5.6 with 396 and a 6.7 with 171 and a 5.3 with 191.
It almost appears that between M5 and M7 the bigger the quake the less aftershocks there are,
over 7 is a different fish, SW of Kyushu still running, with 2660 over 129 days (last time I looked)

edit on 04000000969616 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 01:19 PM
link   
OK

6.0 Bunisari Indonesia. 35.4 km( 22.0 miles deep)

earthquake.usgs.gov...
edit on 6-4-2016 by crappiekat because: to add

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 03:26 AM
link   
6.7 Sola Vanuatu 26.8km 16.6 miles)

earthquake.usgs.gov...

new topics

top topics

<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join