It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Looking for lost time

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   
As we move into 2016, I thought it would be a good time to discuss how time flies

Midnight has not struck yet over here. So, before I hit the whisky and join the celebrations , I thought I would share with you an idea that I have had for quite some time. Some may say it borders on (or overlaps into) Quantum Mechanics.

I believe that 28 years (in, say, 1815) is about the same time-scale as, say, 80 years nowadays. What ??!!!! I hear you say. Surely that can be easily disproven. However, before you go and get that vintage watch and lay it down alongside a modern watch to prove me wrong, Please consider the following :-

1)Time really seems to fly nowadays and we do not know where it goes.
2)We live longer; but is that really so in real terms.
3)Will there be more people reaching 100 and more queen's telegrams (not sure if HM still sends telegrams or does she use other means)
4)Are we causing time to fly because we wish the week (or the day) away
5)How do we slow down time and get more done in the day.

I put my proposition that time has in fact accelerated. The weird thing is that if you put the vintage watch next to the modern watch they still appear to beat at the same speed.

My conclusion : Time has accelerated. The Quantum Mechanics behind it does exactly what is is meant to do - i.e. accelerate the older watch.

This is not a post for my amusement but a serious question. I have used the QM word to keep the interest of the scientifically-minded but this is not a scientific question.

Take your time

No pun intended. It's New Year . Have fun and come back when you have answers.

Thanks and have a good one !

edit on 31-12-2015 by crowdedskies because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 02:08 PM
link   
There is no time, only Eternity every day can be a celebration of that!a reply to: crowdedskies

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: crowdedskies

This is a well-known symptom of ageing.
Whem you are five years old, six months is 10% of your life.
When you are fifty years old, six months is only 1% of your life, so it feels like a shorter time.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI

This is a well-known symptom of ageing.
Whem you are five years old, six months is 10% of your life.
When you are fifty years old, six months is only 1% of your life, so it feels like a shorter time.

Seems quite a plausible explanation ; perhaps based on the following attitudes :-

5 yo - Hey, I always to wait to be fed or have my nappy changed , 6 months is more than I can wait
50 yo - Bloody Hell , I have been around for 50 years , so what is 6 months ?

We then come to a contradiction. Compare the butterfly (lifespan of 1 week, say) and the tortoise (lifespan of 150 years)

Butterfly : 6 months would approximate 2600 times its current existence - accords with above. "wow tis a long time- yippee"
Tortoise : 6 months would represent .33 % of its life by the time it gets to 150. So you would expect time to fly past quickly.But not so for the tortoise - it really drags on. Just walking a few yards take a long time.

What I am trying to say is that movement is a function of time and may stop the tortoise from feeling that time flies

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 02:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: ancientthunder
There is no time, only Eternity every day can be a celebration of that!a reply to: crowdedskies

Agreed but just wanted to look at Time from a low mundane point of view.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I've got some time. I'll mail it to you to replace that which you seem to have misplaced.
I'll be busier next month though, so I won't have as much available. You'll have to act soon.

edit on 12/31/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 03:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
I've got some time. I'll mail it to you to replace that which you seem to have misplaced.
I'll be busier next month though, so I won't have as much available. You'll have to act soon.

Reminds me of the "In Time" movie

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Think of an hourglass sand timer. With one minute to complete a task you don't pay much attention to it as you are busy with the task and know you have time. As you sense time is running out you check it more often. Finally towards the end you watch the last grains pass through. Although it ends with the same tempo as it began, it seemsthe final grains go down faster.

So one might argue it is our attention to it that makes it go faster.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll
Think of an hourglass sand timer. With one minute to complete a task you don't pay much attention to it as you are busy with the task and know you have time. As you sense time is running out you check it more often. Finally towards the end you watch the last grains pass through. Although it ends with the same tempo as it began, it seemsthe final grains go down faster.

So one might argue it is our attention to it that makes it go faster.

You are making a good point.

By the same token if I lost track of time, is there a chance that I may somehow slow down the ageing process. That is a question that I have asked myself a few times. Perhaps we age because we give attention to time.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: crowdedskies

Perhaps we age because we give attention to time.

Ignore it. Maybe it will go away.
Like Jehovah's Witnesses?

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Perhaps we age because we give attention to time.

Ignore it. Maybe it will go away.
Like Jehovah's Witnesses?

Seriously, if someone was deprived of their sense of time (with their consent of course) for 6 months, do you think they would age. Imagine being in a sound-proof dark room with no way of ascertining time of day and food being fed at very irregular intervals. Would the cells know ?

...and please no joke about cell phones (or cells phoning home)

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Seriously, if someone was deprived of their sense of time (with their consent of course) for 6 months, do you think they would age.
Yes.

Imagine being in a sound-proof dark room with no way of ascertining time of day and food being fed at very irregular intervals. Would the cells know ?
It would certainly wreak havoc on their mental state. In that situation I would imagine that, due to stress, the signs of aging would be exaggerated.

Want to slow the rate at which you age? Go live in a cabin on a lake. Time will seem to pass slower for you and lower stress levels will slow physical aging.
edit on 12/31/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Want to slow the rate at which you age? Go live in a cabin on a lake. Time will seem to pass slower for you and lower stress levels will slow physical aging.

I agree but not because of stress levels going down. It would be the proximity to water doing it.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 05:57 PM
link   

I agree but not because of stress levels going down. It would be the proximity to water doing it.

Interesting idea. How would that be?

How about living in an igloo, surrounded by ice crystals?

Ps: didnt know you were a time salesman phage.

edit on 31-12-2015 by OneGoal because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: OneGoal
Clearance sale.
All time must go go go!

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 06:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: OneGoal

Interesting idea. How would that be?

How about living in an igloo, surrounded by ice crystals?

Ps: didnt know you were a time salesman phage.

Not tried it on freshwater but seaside living definitely slows down ageing. There is no question about that.

As for igloos, only yesterday I was getting information about the "Ice Hotel" complex in Sweden. It is a gimmicky hotel in my view. The bar, restaurant and bedroom are totally made of ICE with minus 5 degrees centigrade maintained throughout. However, you also have a warm , normal room in another building. Hence you only go to the Ice Hotel for eating drinking and sleeping. Sorry, just had to mention it since you mentioned igloo. The beauty of it are the colourful lights which contrast with the ice.

I expect that eskimos age very slowly. In my view , due to several reasons :-

1)diet - loads of fish oils
2)Unusual time-cycle - extremely long days in summer and vice versa in winter (enough to confuse the metabolism)
3)Closeness, intimacy and body contact - drawing energy from each other

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 07:59 PM
link   
The way is see time is that although an illusion as mentioned by einstein, it also reminds me of 'The allegory of the cave' - Plato. Most Humans are simply too lost in Lotus land to be bothered looking outside of it's stiffly manufactured walls. But those who do, find it was all just a dream and awaken.

And that's all i have to say about that! Chocolate anyone?

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 08:10 AM
link   
a reply to: awareness10

The clay animation makes the allegory simple to follow. All valid of course.

I would also place this allegory squarely on th 26th path.

BTW , you seem to have got away with a little bit of nudity on your avatar. When I had my witch showing bum Avatar, I was invited to remove it.

edit on 1-1-2016 by crowdedskies because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 09:04 AM
link   

The twentysixth path eh?

I believe anything full colour non stencilized and below the belt is off limits, but i could be wrong. How surreal did you want to push it?

edit on 1/1/2016 by awareness10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 11:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: awareness10

The twentysixth path eh?

I believe anything full colour non stencilized and below the belt is off limits, but i could be wrong. How surreal did you want to push it?

That's probably true. I have started a new painting two hours ago . I will upload it this evening as a new 2016 avatar. It will not go below the belt but it is in colour though. All from the imagination . Hence valuable representation of astral imagery.

26th path was relevant to your allegory.It stands between the sephiroth representing the Sun and that representing the mind. Effectively the devil standing between the Sun and people's conscious awareness. Also relates to the Devil card in the tarot (card no. 15)

top topics

join