It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mexican marijuana farmers see profits tumble as U.S. loosens laws

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: eXia7

Maybe you stopped reading before this:

"Having a dealer on every corner is bad enough"

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
a reply to: LSU0408

Then your no different than a progressive who wants his own form of nanny state.

Why should government be the one to tell us what we can do or not do with our own bodies?

And it was only make illegal half way through the 20th century.

Only time fines should come in is if your driving or operating machinery under the influence.

Problem is two things:

1) You will always get some police officer or magistrate who is a busy body nanny state fan and will try and make a "example" and through heavy fines or light prison (though very very rare)sentences at some poor sod. Not really a fan of giving such mini tyrants in political or civil positions power and I enjoy taking it away from them

2) Criminal record. Here you can get slapped with a criminal record which likes the USA basically makes you unemployable. It only lasts 5 years but that possibly 5 years out of work. Now I hear you "thats the pot smokers fault" and in some ways I cant fault that. BUT as a taxpayers it me that has to fund them while out of work, that’s a welfare bill I have to folk up for when its not needed. Plus you got over factors because being out of work will lower self esteem and increases the chance of them falling into more drugs and alcohol abuse creating downward spiral of unemployment, health bills and criminal behaviour.

3) It still wastes police and court time . I think in the UK something like £500 million wasted on Cannabis law enforcemnet.Thats 500 million of my money. even if we could half that to £250 million thats £250 million saved we could use to go after either real criminals like rapists, pedos and thieves or put it into schools/hospitals ect.

Better in my opinion to just legalise it and put in place extremly strict rules on use and sale and tax the # out of it to cover any expenses to society.

I could get behind that... I know I'm on the wrong side of this, even my own political party is leaning towards legalization. I'm not gonna piss and moan about it either way, I just disagree with some of it. I wouldn't even propose a stricter law after it's legal, I'd just let it carry the same weight as alcohol laws.

I'll change my position a bit and say that if you buy a baggie, if the seal isn't broke and you're pulled over, nothing happens. If the seal is broke, you catch an open container violation. $100 plus court costs here in Louisiana. If you're caught drinking, up to $500 and 6 days in jail I think, unless you enter a substance abuse program. So I'd follow that scheme for marijuana as well.
edit on 31-12-2015 by LSU0408 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Prohibition did not work for alcohol, and they think it will work for drugs, legalize them, tax the # out of them, and let adults decide what they want to do with there own body.

Alcohol prohibition helped create the mafia in the 20s and 30s, same thing ahs been happening with the drug cartels, take away there source of money, and voila you fix part of the problem.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Swills well boo hoo. now they need to legalise it in all the states so it can be an american cash crop isnt eastern kentucky known for its christmas trees?. seriously with legalization we should tax it like liquor and tobacco and we can empty the jails of all these poor saps whose only crime was getting caught with a little weed. i have a friend that got caught with only enough on him to make 2 joints they put him on a 7000 dollar bail he didn't have the money to pay a bondsman 700 dollars and didn't have property to use for collateral so he had to stay in jail until it was his court date which was almost 6 months latter at which time they threw out the case because they couldn't find were they put the evidence

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Swills

Music to mine as well! Hope to see California on that list in 2016 for total legalization.

Personally feel that marijuana is not as bad as alcohol and that stuff is legal. Legalizing and taxing marijuana would be a great way to make money that could be used to fund schools, fix our roads and infrastructure etc.

It's time to legalize it, regulate it and tax it!

Apparently there is a new breathalyzer being developed that can detect current marijuana levels in the body. That could be used to find DUI's.

An Oakland company working with scientists from the University of California at Berkeley is claiming a breakthrough in the race to develop an instant roadside marijuana breathalyzer.

A Weed Breathalyzer Could Be On The Way

edit on 31-12-2015 by Jennyfrenzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 09:18 PM
link   
One day I decided I'm going on fishing trip , a friend of mine says you want a hit. I don't he does ... I take a drink of beer he gets fired. ..I go too work.....guy joins the military goes to war ...he comes home can't drink a beer ....you can kill at 8 can't drink

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 09:19 PM
link   
The story forgot the part where overall quality of product has gone waaaaaaay up, well the made in America kind.

Aww poor cartels, I'll see if I can gaf... Nope all out.
edit on 2-1-2016 by Lysergic because: donkey cartel

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 09:26 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 09:29 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 09:32 PM
link   

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join