It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My First ATS Recipe Sharing experience...and the winner is Salmon Croquettes!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Growing up in my family meant 2 things, cooking and eating! I am adept at both. I have a varied pallet that can enjoy just about anything. Every so often, I sit down and look through my granny's old cookbook and search for something fun to cook. She was a wonderful cook! Much of what she has is old school recipes. Some Jewish soul food, some Polish heritage mixed in, a sprinkle of German and a smidgen of Russia.

My granddaddy was a butcher and was tasked with bringing home the various meats for granny to cook us. My great uncle was a commercial fisherman and he too was a source of many great meals! Our family justs loves to cook and eat.

I thought it might be fun to share a recipe with those of you that go for that sort of thing. I will most likely do this from time to time and now I am trying to decide which one gets the honor of being the first ATS Recipe Sharing experience...and the winner is Salmon Croquettes!

Salmon Croquettes

Ingredients:

1 (16-oz.) Pre-cooked Salmon fillet
2 Medium eggs or 4 egg whites, lightly beaten
1/3 Cup cornmeal or 1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs mix
1/2 Cup buttermilk or regular milk if you prefer
2 Tablespoons self-rising flour
1/8 Sea salt
1 Tablespoon minced garlic
3 oz. grated carrots
3 oz. grated peppers
2 cups vegetable oil

Directions for preparation:

Make sure the salmon is free of skin and bones. Chop salmon into fine pieces.

Place salmon in a medium bowl. Stir in eggs and each of the ingredients until blended. Place the bowl in the refrigerator for 5 minutes.

Drop the mixture by tablespoonfuls into hot oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and flatten them out a bit.

Fry on each side until browned. Drain on paper towels. Keep warm on a wire rack in a 200 degree oven until dinner is served.

I make a paprika sour cream mix to ladle on each croquette when served.

Side dishes for me include broccoli and fettuccine. Oh and I need jalapeños on the side.

Enjoy and let me know how it turns out!

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 09:13 PM
link   
a reply to: baglady333

LOL - depression food. I like them too.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 09:22 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

I prefer the term "comfort food"! My cats love them!
edit on 30-12-2015 by baglady333 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 09:48 PM
link   
This looks so yummy! I'm going to be trying this recipe in the next week or so. Thank you! My cat will have to sample some, what a treat!

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 10:42 PM
link   
a reply to: peppycat

Yes peppy, I hope they save some for you to enjoy! At my house this becomes a frenzy akin to a shark infested slaughter on a poor seal.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 05:44 AM
link   
listen to this while cooking this recipe

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Great recipe, sounds delicious.

Post some pictures of your finished work in this thread I made where we share pictures and recipes.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 07:42 AM
link   

That is a grand first recipe. "Salmon Patties" is what I have always known them by but, croquettes sounds much more appealing!
We happen to love salmon in my household. It is so rich.

You can make the same type thing (slight variation of recipe) with mackerel as well. I used to make something like these, moons and moons ago, when "canned" mackerel was quite inexpensive. I have no idea the cost today. I was cooking for a family of about 10-14 every night on pennies (long story!) and believe me it was quite filling!

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 09:36 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

You are very helpful! Thanks again for sharing! I would love to post a picture but I do not have a way to do so at the moment. I have one of those old school cameras.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Break out the water colors and post a still life portrait.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 09:41 AM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

I am gourmet don't you know! LOL! I eat salmon all the time, how do you think I got 20 cats? It is a yummy recipe with many variations that can be used. The eggs and the bread crumbs are the constant, along with the oil. All the other ingredients can be switched out to suit a taste. Funny thing, I have a cat that actually picks out the carrots before they eat it!

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 09:42 AM
link   

That would require a talent I do not possess! However, I will search the web and see if I can find one that is close!

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: gosseyn

Cute! I prefer my Frank and Elvis tunes though!

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 06:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: FyreByrd

LOL - depression food. I like them too.

LOL - depression as in "The Great Depression". My mother told me that beef, even chicken were too expensive for many families during the depression (including her's) so they used salmon a lot because it was so plentiful and cheap. Who knew?

LOL

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 06:22 PM
link   
What can i use as a substitute for the self-rising flour.
I cannot use regular, gluten flour.

Other than that...sounds wonderful.
Please share more recipes

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 08:02 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

This is tricky, but I did find this web site that had some alternatives. I am just not sure how the recipe will work out since I have never tried it any other way.

Flour substitutions and Gluten Free Baking

When substituting wheat flour with gluten-free flour, you'll usually get best results with recipes which have only a small percentage of flour in them. Your health food shop -- or perhaps even your supermarket -- will sell gluten-free flour.

Gluten free flours will generally absorb more water than "normal" flours and will also lack the robust structure and "tolerance" typical of gluten containing flours.

Generally speaking, where a biscuit, cookie, sponge, swiss roll or other recipe that bakes in a thin layer contains flour, sugar, butter/margarine and eggs, gluten free flour, plain or self raising, can be substituted directly for wheat flour. However, once you come to adding the dry gluten free flour to the wet ingredients, care needs to be taken in the mixing, which needs to be as gentle and for as short a duration as possible to avoid knocking the carbon dioxide and oxygen from the more fragile gluten free structure, especially in the case of sponges and swiss rolls. The biscuit, sponge or whatever should then be put in the oven as quickly as possible to ensure the maximum possible rise.

Hopefully this will help. Thanks for your interest!

edit on 1-1-2016 by baglady333 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 08:28 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 08:31 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

Funny how that worked out now, Salmon ain't so cheap anymore, at least not the real good kind not in a can! I know what you meant though, plenty of "depression types" in my family!

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Okay, thanks....that is helpful...and there would be no extras needed to compensate for the "self-rising" flour aspect???
I do have GF baking mix....and a GF flour blend.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 11:56 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

The main thing is to make sure the batter mix is not to watery. You want it to stick to the salmon like a paste, so you may need to add a bit more flour or bread crumbs, if it were me I would add more bread crumbs.
edit on 1-1-2016 by baglady333 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join