It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christians preaching door to door

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan

Originally posted by Amethyst
Now if some JWs or Mormons come to my door, I'm gonna hand 'em some Chick tracts....

To scare them away from fundamentalist christianity or what? Or maybe you just wanted to entertain them? Jack Chick is hilarious, if only it were intentionally so.

Again, these groups are not Christian, fundamentalist or otherwise. They are cults who profess beliefs that are in direct conflict with the Bible. Such as God is a man who is married and him and his wife are from the Kolob star system (Mormons) and Jesus is an angel, not God become flesh (JW).

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Religions that actively/forcefully promote their "good word" door-to-door, are religions that capitalize on growth profits/donations in terms of followers. A religion that seeks to 'convert' people to avoid hell fire judgement in the afterlife from a vengful god is a receipy for disaster on earth.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Reminds me of the time the Jehovah Witness' came to my grandfathers door. Grandpa was in his 70's by then and knew the good book verse for verse. He sat on the front porch with those poor guys for two hours and everytime they quoted a scripture he'd quote one right back showing them that his belief was just as bible based and such.

It got to where they wouldn't even come to his door anymore but if he saw them walking down the street he'd get his bible and chase them down.

It got to the point where the JW's wouldn't even come to our side of the town, I think they were afraid grandpa would finally convert one of them.

Hehehehe...thanks for the memories.

Oh, If anyone comes to my door I just tell them i'm not a christian and they always say ok and walk away. It's never gone beyond that.

Love and light to each of you,

Wupy

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77

Originally posted by Nygdan

Now if some JWs or Mormons come to my door, I'm gonna hand 'em some Chick tracts....

To scare them away from fundamentalist christianity or what? Or maybe you just wanted to entertain them? Jack Chick is hilarious, if only it were intentionally so.

Again, these groups are not Christian, fundamentalist or otherwise. They are cults who profess beliefs that are in direct conflict with the Bible. Such as God is a man who is married and him and his wife are from the Kolob star system (Mormons) and Jesus is an angel, not God become flesh (JW).

well, i was raised mormon, and can tell you that they do not believe that god lives in the Kolob star system, or any other star system for that matter. If you want the low down on Mormon Beliefs, ask me. If i dont know the answer, i can easily get it.
And as for your cult theory:
1 : formal religious veneration : WORSHIP
2 : a system of religious beliefs and ritual; also : its body of adherents
3 : a religion regarded as unorthodox or spurious; also : its body of adherents
4 : a system for the cure of disease based on dogma set forth by its promulgator
5 a : great devotion to a person, idea, object, movement, or work (as a film or book); especially : such devotion regarded as a literary or intellectual fad b : a usually small group of people characterized by such devotion
Seems to me that EVERY religion is a cult by definition. I got those definitions from Merriam-Webster dictionary.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by question_reality
Seems to me that EVERY religion is a cult by definition. I got those definitions from Merriam-Webster dictionary.

ALL religions are cults for no other reason than they narrow your mind from the broader realities around you.

Thats my two nickels on it anyway,

Love and light,

Wupy

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 06:41 PM
link   

well, i was raised mormon, and can tell you that they do not believe that god lives in the Kolob star system, or any other star system for that matter. If you want the low down on Mormon Beliefs, ask me. If i dont know the answer, i can easily get it.

Then, please explain what Kolob is. Why does the LDS Church translate papyrus hieroglyphics to say something completely different than the analysis of modern Egyptologists? Also, please explain why no evidence of the pre-columbian cities, culture or peoples described in the Book of Mormon has ever been found in the Americas.

Thanks.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 06:53 PM
link   
im in the process of finding out about Kolob for you...

What papyrus heiroglyphs are you referring to?

And if you had any knowledge on the Book Of Mormon, The people through cycles, became more evil, and violent, and destroyed entire countries for no other purpose than they felt like it one day. I believe that many of the centarl american civilisations are dated to BC times, and since Mormons believe that Christ came to the Americas after his resurrection, if this is true, you may not have to go to Israel to stand where Jesus once stood. Many of the cities in the Book Of Mormon are still in existance in central and south america.

Like I said, im working on the Koob thing for you, waiting on my step father or my mother to call me back, so i can state it correctly since its been a while since ive attended church.

If you have any other questions, feel free to U2U me, im not going to try to convert anyone, ill gladly answer all the questions that I can, but wont force it down anyones throat, I dont believe whole heartedly, so why would i make someone else believe?

correction....the site quoted it from the bible, but there is no such biblical book...ill wait until i hear from my mother before i post more
[edit on 1/10/2005 by question_reality]

[edit on 1/10/2005 by question_reality]

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 08:06 PM
link   

well, i was raised mormon, and can tell you that they do not believe that god lives in the Kolob star system, or any other star system for that matter. If you want the low down on Mormon Beliefs, ask me.

I would love to here your thoughts on this thread

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I am still looking for a Muslim or Jew

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I wasn't thrilled by their forcefullness. They were rude and excessive. The next time it happens I won't be so polite. Maybe I should find out where they live and go to their homes and invite myself in to try to make them not believe in a god. Wonder how they would feel about that?

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by I See You
Got a visit from a couple of christian preachers today. They were told that we were not interested in anything they had to say and they continued to try and invite themselves in my home. As I politley told them no again they shoved a card in my face with a picture of jesus on it and a biblical quote on the back. I told them that I don't appreciate being forced into something I don't believe in and they dropped the card in my door and left. I was very close to starting more trouble in which they could of handled. This is one reason why I don't follow a religion. Made me sick.

Next time ask them if they agree with what they're religion did to Native Americans and to the Library of Alexandria, and if they agree with the slaughtering of millions and possibly billions in the name of religious doctrine. Then tell them that you don't believe in religion because it is maladaptive to the progress of humanity. ---That ought to shock their simple minds.

[edit on 10-1-2005 by Prince_Machiavelli]

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 08:28 PM
link   
I have had both mormons and JW come to my door. Nice people, believe deeply in what they are preaching. I don't have a problem with that. I have had them in my house and more for politeness than anything. No, they didn't convert me.

If a couple of wiccans came to my home and gave me the same "vibe" and were as nice, I would feel the same way. I doubt a Satanist would give me the same feeling that the JW and Mormons did. Just from their inherent beliefs.

I have worked with both mormons and JW and they do NOT preach at work. They do not say a word about it unless asked. In my experience, they are super nice people. Nicer than a few mainstream religions I can think of.

Then again, I try to be polite to telemarketers. They are only trying to make a living. I would never be mean enough to blow a whistle in their ear or cuss them out. I will just say "no thanks, please take me off your list, goodbye" and hang up. Then again, with the advent of the wonderful Do Not call registry, I don't even have to worry about it

I really believe these people are trying to share something that is very important to them. They believe in it enough to be going door to door. That HAS to suck!

Look at them like people and just tell them you aren't interested. Of course they are going to be pushy, they wouldn't convert anyone if they weren't!

I am a very dull Methodist, that is lazy and doesn't go to church, so I have no dog in this fight

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Part of the problem is that they are trying to convert people, and push it on them. Native Americans were converted then made as slaves because priest felt that they owed their lives to them because their "eternal" lives were saved. The literature and scholars writings in the Library of Alexandria could have caused the industrial revoulotion to occur hundreds of years earlier, not to mention that our society would be so far advanced than we are now if the Library hadn't been torched by earlier Christians. Christianity is invoked to keep politicians agenda and to create wars. Why believe in it? It is a tool!

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I agree that preachers (any religion) should not try to force themselves into your home.

To me, church is supposed to be believers gathering together to hear the gospel preached. Did you know Jesus was against organized religion? Someone once said that religion is man trying to reach up to God, and salvation is God reaching down to man. Or something like that.

My definition of religion is a set of rituals designed to please one deity or another. The thing is, salvation is of faith, not of works. Works are the result of salvation.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 09:08 PM
link   

I agree that preachers (any religion) should not try to force themselves into your home.

To me, church is supposed to be believers gathering together to hear the gospel preached. Did you know Jesus was against organized religion? Someone once said that religion is man trying to reach up to God, and salvation is God reaching down to man. Or something like that.

My definition of religion is a set of rituals designed to please one deity or another. The thing is, salvation is of faith, not of works. Works are the result of salvation.

Thats very good. My own theory is that if God created humanity and he/she wanted humanity to worship him on certain days, then wouldn't God have a mental problem? Like say, Narcism. And why create life if your not going to let people live it?

Its one huge oxymoron. Live but live my rules, decide but decide based on my rules, be free but only free as my rules allow.

[edit on 10-1-2005 by Prince_Machiavelli]

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Just print this Pixianity tract and have it ready for when they arrive. I guarantee that they will never bother you again. (Of course they'll think you're a nutter but thats a small price to pay
)

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 09:35 PM
link   
LMAO!!That was hilarious. Thanks, I chuckelethed.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 09:38 PM
link   
I have the JW's coming to my door at least every second month, one of them is a constant visitor, I shall call him the lead. I have also had Christian fundamentalists from the US come by, they are usually two well dressed young men in white shirts and ties, here for the summer. All are very polite and I actually enjoy speaking with them as I find that after the initial visit where they come to preach, they come back for discussion. The lead JW has taken to advising his associate whenever we are exchanging ideas to close their Bible and refrain from reading pre-selected verses when speaking with me.

The last time I saw him, he rang the doorbell, said hello and asked politely if they could leave the Watchtower since there was an article in there he thought I might enjoy and ended with, "I know you know the Bible well and would like your view the next time we meet." I must admit I did not open the publication instead choosing to wing it when he comes back.

I must admit they make some well thought out points, and contrary to when I used to just tell them all no thank you and close my door, those that are not pushy can be quite interesting to speak with.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 09:44 PM
link   
OK, talked to someone more knowledgeable than I on the mormon subject, likei said, i havent been active for a while. BUT.....

Kolob, is where (i was told) God relates his location as for now. Mormons believe that we are living in the place that heaven WILL be at the end of the world proper. Kolob is not necessarily where he "lives", but a relation to a physical humanly understandable place of residence. the earth will be cleansed by fire, and heaven and God will Reign on Earth. They/we believe that Earth used to be near Kolob, that the entire Earth is the garden of Eden, but that Adam-Ondi_Aman Is where Adam and his family resided before the fall of man. the Earth "fell" away From Kolob when the fall of man occured, it wasnt just a metaphor.

The papyri that you refer to....was bought in Kirtland by Joseph Smith. Sold to him by a traveling Mummy show. I have never heard of the Papyri being viewed by anyone other than Joseph Smith and the few others that assisted in their translation. To the best of my knowledge, anyone saying that they have since "found" the scrolls, and translated them using modern science is either lieing, or my information is incorrect. The linked site says that at the time of joseph Smiths translation there was no way of knowing what was actually on the scrolls, no known way of translation. ALL the sites I have found concerning the Rosetta Stone, say it was found in 1799, the church was founded on April 6th, 1830. The rosetta stone had been around for 31 years prior, so they did have a way to translate them then. the Rosetta Stone was found 6 Years before Joseph Smiths birth. So, lets look at a few things, to the best of my knowledge available, no one has since seen the scrolls outside of the Church since he bought them, so how have they since been debunked IF that is true? 2nd, your linked site says no way to translate, I think Ive proved that incorrect as well. (you and your being directed djohnsto77, but not necessarily saying that that is your belief entirely, you havent stated that as such plainly yet, just presented questions)
Prince_Machiavelli, the mormon missionaries are NOT suposed to push it on you. They are supposed to offer what they are teaching, if you do not want it, they are to move on. If you have met pushy missionaries, its a sad state. The mormon religion is not one that is supposed to force the worship of anyone. you are supposed to read what is offered, pray, and find your own way. The church is a place to meet for fellowship and further learning and teaching of the gospel. There are leaders, but, you are not supposed to worship them, and you dont have to believe everything they say as gospel, but to pary and reach your own conclusions. Mormons have been warped through history and misconception. You are allowed to dance, and date before 21, YOU DO NOT have to serve on a mission, and you wont get advanced in the church faster if you do, or at least your not supposed to but man is fallable and ive seen it happen personally. You dont really get advanced in the church, but you can gt higher appointments. You are called, and it is put to a vote of the people, who are supposed to affirm or oppose based on their prayer.
In a nut shell, the mormon religion boiled down says do what you want, youll be held accountable on Judgement day. They do have rules, but as I said, you choose your own way, thats why I no longer attend church, I feel its tainted by men who desire betterment for themselves, and not their fellow man, and they hold their own little judgement sessions behind closed doors. However, I have met more people in the church that will accept you with all your faullts, and not judge you, because they follow the "let he who is without sin cast the first stone" philosophy. But, as I said, even a few tainted is enough to turn me off, i have flaws, and do my best to not judge, so i hope for the same.

What else do you want to ask? or go into further detail? Id rather teach what i can, so you can all make your choice according to your belief with the proper and correct information. If nothing else, I hope you come away with a better Understanding of the Mormon Religion.,

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 09:44 PM
link   
To be honest, I'd welcome them coming to my door as a witnessing opportunity. Instead of you going to them--they come to you!

I'm not the type to go knocking doors to begin with. Not to mention you never know who's on the other side of that door.

As far as the worshiping on one day of the week...read Romans 14:5. In a nutshell one man may exalt one day above the rest, another man may consider them all the same--let each one be fully persuaded in his own mind. So I don't consider Sunday any more important than any other day. And on that note, I think it's stupid to forbid Sunday alcohol sales, though I'm against drinking that stuff myself.

Pisky--That was cute!

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 09:58 PM
link   
God created man, man created religion.

Believe what you want, just don't go out and kill those that believe differantly.

It's not the path that makes one holy, its they that must make the path holy, regardless of the path they have chosen.

Love and light to each of you,

Wupy

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join