It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christians preaching door to door

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Got a visit from a couple of christian preachers today. They were told that we were not interested in anything they had to say and they continued to try and invite themselves in my home. As I politley told them no again they shoved a card in my face with a picture of jesus on it and a biblical quote on the back. I told them that I don't appreciate being forced into something I don't believe in and they dropped the card in my door and left. I was very close to starting more trouble in which they could of handled. This is one reason why I don't follow a religion. Made me sick.

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Is this not happening to anyone else on board? or did I get a special visit?

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 05:11 PM
link   
It happens to everyone from time to time. All religions. Just ignore them.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 02:06 PM
link   
My former pastor goes door-to-door.

I see nothing wrong with it, personally. But you shouldn't force anything on anyone. Likewise, if you're approached by one, a no thank you will suffice.

Now if some JWs or Mormons come to my door, I'm gonna hand 'em some Chick tracts....

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 02:36 PM
link   
At first I didn't really mind them Jahova and other religious door to door types. I used to pull pranks on them all the time.

Once I saw them run around the street, so I put on some heavy metal, gothic and other music on the stereo and put my swords and blades collection on the living room table to clean them. Some of those are fantasy blades, some ritualistic satanic and wiccan daggers
(purely collectables for me btw), I guess you can imagine the look on their face when hearing the music and all those blades in the house.

Then once, I let them in and I started talking like I was super catholic and acting asif I wanted to convert them back to pure catholisism :p I got them to kneel in front of my mothers mother mary statue before they could sit at the table and then when they started yabbing about their stuff, I offered them coffee and some cake. But before they could eat the cake I asked them to pray. Then when that was done I acted all offended by the prayer and told them to go

But now since I've been working, the last Jahova dude that came to bother me had the nerve to block me from closing the door after I told them to take a hike, dude nearly broke his foot between the door and its frame(when I see him these days, he still seems to walk with a limp) and ended up choosing between paying for the refinishing of the door and frame or facing charges for tresspassing
Seems like they don't understand its not wise putting your foot between a door thats being closed by a 6'2" 200lbs guy that was clearly not happy to see them at the door.

This has been some years ago now and Jahova people tend to avoid wherever I live now, I moved 3 times since then and they just seem to know they better pass my door.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I saw this group of 4 Mormon guys once at a Subway. You could tell because of the nametags (Elder so-and-so) and the Book of Mormon lying on their table.

Boy, did I wish I had my Chick tracts with me! There's a good one on Mormonism.

I've seen them at Wal-Mart too, and around the college campus here in town.

[edit on 1/10/2005 by Amethyst]

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 02:51 PM
link   
My, my thematrix your are something else, kind of funny, thought, I used to have the Mormons coming to my house when I was in Virginia, they kind of go a habit of doing that.

Now as for Jehovah witness if you leave in Puerto Rico you will learn to hate them specially on Sundays mornings.

Here in the south I never had nobody bothering me yet so I am OK.

I remember when I was in middle school and high school in PR, Jehovah witness will gather all the time in the school grounds to pray and preach, back then public preaching in the corners was allowed.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 02:56 PM
link   
In New York City we have the Jews for Jesus in the subways and streets. I just tell them I'm not Jewish and already a Christian. If you don't want to hear their message just be polite but firm, if they're at your doorstep close the door (don't slam it).

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I honnestly haven't seen a single Mormon in my life, neither the first part(when I lived in NYC/Harlem) or now in Belgium. There aren't many of them in Europe for as far as I know.

Jahova's on the other hand are nearly reaching plague levels here. They have buildings in every town and go door to door during summer every sunday. During winter or rainy periods they don't come out(luckely, theres is quite alot of rain in belgium)

The only other group in belgium that is starting to become a true plague during weekends is guys that act asif they are door to door salesmen, but they actualy are scouts for eastern european burglary, home and carjacking gangs. I include them in this thread because they seem to take their occupation like a devote religion

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Generally these are cults and do not represent true christianity. A true christian teaches based on attraction not promotion just as christ did. People wanted to hang out with him not because they were scared of going to hell but because he told them the truth and he accepted people as they were not on how he or others wanted them to be. His love and acceptance made people want to be with him. What you experienced is common in this day and age. The gospel of intimidation and obedience through fear and guilt using scripture. I callem the "Dont mess up because Gods gonna whack ya" crowd. They are totaly antichrist and are tools of the devil knowingly and unknowingly basically his last ditch attempt to turn more folks off on a good man that brought freedom and life 2000 years ago.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Brings to mind my experience with the Jesus Army in London in Soho some 15 years back. They were decked up in full fatigues and boots. They seemed to be very caught up in the act of conversion to their beliefs rather than sharing. Well, needless to say, things escalated till it actually got violent and I ended up being issued a caution by the coppers and the other guy got a beer mug impression across his face. Damn irritating when they think they can barge into your private time (I was having a pint at the local) and start trying to scare you at first and then if it fails, try to fleece you off some money as a donation to their cause (whatever cause).

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I remember back in the seventies the hara christnas I think that is how the call themselves they use to wear white robes and shave their heads, I even read their books it was kind of interesting actually, I just did not like the way the looked like.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 03:03 PM
link   
They don't bother me but its not a real good idea to get out of the car till one of us comes out. They might bother my Rottweilers but none of them have ever complained although I do catch them chewing on Bibles every now and then.....LOL

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by synch11
Generally these are cults and do not represent true christianity. A true christian teaches based on attraction not promotion just as christ did. People wanted to hang out with him not because they were scared of going to hell but because he told them the truth and he accepted people as they were not on how he or others wanted them to be. His love and acceptance made people want to be with him. What you experienced is common in this day and age. The gospel of intimidation and obedience through fear and guilt using scripture. I callem the "Dont mess up because Gods gonna whack ya" crowd. They are totaly antichrist and are tools of the devil knowingly and unknowingly basically his last ditch attempt to turn more folks off on a good man that brought freedom and life 2000 years ago.

This is true. Most true Christians do not go door to door bothering people, maybe just a pamphlet handout on the street like the Jews for Jesus I described. The Mormons and Jehovah's Witness are not true Christians since their doctrine and beliefs directly conflict with the Bible.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Rofl Amuk

marg6043: I remember those actualy. A few years back they were the center of ridicule in quite a few episodes of several comedy series here.

The robes and bald head are a big turnoff imho :p

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 03:12 PM
link   
["This is true. Most true Christians do not go door to door bothering people, maybe just a pamphlet handout on the street like the Jews for Jesus I described. The Mormons and Jehovah's Witness are not true Christians since their doctrine and beliefs directly conflict with the Bible."]

Early Christianity was a "cult" in Rome. But going door to door is a good thing. Spreading the Gospel is "Christianity".

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrHoracid
Early Christianity was a "cult" in Rome. But going door to door is a good thing. Spreading the Gospel is "Christianity".

Would you feel the same about Satanists coming to your door a couple times a month? How about Hindus? Wiccans? Muslims?

All insisting you listen to the "truth"?

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk

Would you feel the same about Satanists coming to your door a couple times a month? How about Hindus? Wiccans? Muslims?

All insisting you listen to the "truth"?

That's why I have 27 guard "cats" outside and 2 really deadly ones inside.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think early Christians went door to door but spread the Gospel on the street to gatherings of people who wanted to hear the Good News of Christ, not imposing beliefs on people in their private homes like these modern "cults" do.

[edit on 1/10/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amethyst
Now if some JWs or Mormons come to my door, I'm gonna hand 'em some Chick tracts....

To scare them away from fundamentalist christianity or what? Or maybe you just wanted to entertain them? Jack Chick is hilarious, if only it were intentionally so.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join