It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Name a movie were the good guy does not win...

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I like movies taken from Elmore Leonard novels. For instance, Hombre, where the good guy dies in the end. Other EL novels, the 'good guy' is anything but --- a shylock, a bank robber/armed robber, mobster, etc. Elmore Leonard redefines 'protagonist'. Good stuff.

Elmore Leonard wrote, (and I'm paraphrasing), -- if it reads like writing, you're doing it wrong. Excellent author. Another?

Cormac McCarthy. No Country For Old Men. Good guy does not prevail. Another by the same author: The Road. Not a happy ending.

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 05:51 AM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF
People dream up a lot of things before they die, for instance DD thought he was the main character of his own life. He was wrong, it happens, very often, and quite a lot in fact.

The movie should have been called "Mr Rabbit and friend, a questionnaire in a coming of death tale, down the rabbit hole following in Alice's footsteps part II"

Donnie Darko just sounds so emo, you know. But frank the rabbit would have worked just as well.
edit on 5amFridayam192016f5amFri, 19 Feb 2016 05:51:50 -0600 by galadofwarthethird because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I was thinking about this thread all last night, and another of my favorite movies occured to me:

The Wicker Man.

Good guy does not prevail. In fact, he gets burnt to a cinder. Great movie, imo.

ETA: Another of my favorites: Sweeny Todd: The Demon Barber. Love the harmonies between Johnny Dep and Alan Rickman. Not a happy ending for Todd. A just ending. Not happy. Great movie.
edit on 19/2/16 by argentus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Okay, I'm on a roll tonight. What about Falling Down?

Who doesn't relate to the oddball, inward too-contained protagonist DE-fence worker who just wants to be left alone but cant? Michael Douglas really shines. ... ... and gets drilled in the end, which is the only way the movie could end.

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 10:23 PM
link   
a reply to: argentus
I loved Falling Down. That guy had one hell of a bad day.

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Did anyone name The Usual Suspects yet?

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 11:54 PM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

Good call! I'd forgotten about that one.

posted on Mar, 12 2016 @ 02:09 AM
link   
I like this one

But somehow I still think he wins lol

He is just not that into you

www.youtube.com...

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Uwe Bolls Rampage

Funny Games

Quarantine

The Strangers

Return of the Living dead

They Shoot Horses, don't they?

Grave Encounters

No Country for Old Men

Friday Night Lights

Old Yeller

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Just happened to watch one of my old favorites tonight. How could I forget about Vanishing Point? I think that driving a car at high speed into two fixed bulldozer blades definitely counts as "not winning".

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Electra Glide in Blue, i was real suprised with the ending of this film when i first watched it as a kid.

To Live and Die in L.A. is another one where the main goodguy character surprisingly gets killed near the end, although i can't remember if the film has a happy ending or not, it's been years since i last watched it.

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 01:23 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

No Country For Old Men.... Perfect ending, alas no good guys win.

top topics

<< 7  8  9   >>

join