It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Name a movie were the good guy does not win...

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Nightcrawler maybe? The one with Jake Gyllenhaal. I saw that a few months ago and he gets away with everything. And ends up expanding his business as a result of everything hes done.

edit on 30-12-2015 by C84K2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Easy Rider

The Man who would be King

Fight Club

Brazil

Rosemary's Baby

The Wicker Man

Seven

The Vanishing

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Mr. Brooks

Costner plays the creepy guy really well.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 03:55 PM
link   

The classic: The Usual Suspects

The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.... And like that... poof... he's gone.

Epic
edit on 30/12/15 by Phatdamage because: I'm BATMAN

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 03:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74
The Mist.
Awesome ending a true NOOOOOOO! moment.

Is that an eveyone dies kind of flick or a proper "what the %^%$" he was the good guy how did he loose kind of moment.

I am thinking of the karate kid and the punk from cobra kai wins and Daniel looses kind of moment.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Reservoir Dogs (The good guys only win if you count the nameless, faceless cops you hear briefly off-screen at the very end.)

Cloverfield

Blair Witch Project

Dark Knight (Sure Batman technically saved the day, but it was a Pyrrhic victory at best as the Joker's plans worked and Batman had to become a villain in order to "win.")

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 03:57 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

I as just thinking Fight Club too. A lot of Horror movies end with the ghost or monster winning, or at least it is implied. The ghost/demon/monster is killed off...or is it. The ending of Flash Gordon, Big Trouble in Little China, etc.

link   

The Mist is a good example of one.

John Carpenter's The Thing is another good one because you don't know if any of them got out or not, and you really don't know if the last two are both human, thing or just one is infected and which it might be.

edit on 30-12-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

link   
How about The Omen. You cannot have a worse bad guy winning than the Anti-Christ.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 03:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific
In another thread a member claimed that there are only seven different plots to a movie

..... that member must be a legend.........

just saying

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 03:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Reservoir Dogs (The good guys only win if you count the nameless, faceless cops you hear briefly off-screen at the very end.)

Cloverfield

Blair Witch Project

Dark Knight (Sure Batman technically saved the day, but it was a Pyrrhic victory at best as the Joker's plans worked and Batman had to become a villain in order to "win.")

Again could they not be called anti heros though?

If the "hero" is the bad guy then he is supposed to loose. If everyone dies that is the way of things.

I am thinking smokey and the bandit and the bandit looses and everyone walks away dumbfounded.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 04:00 PM
link   
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

the hero is lobotomized .

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phatdamage

In another thread a member claimed that there are only seven different plots to a movie

..... that member must be a legend.........

just saying

I just wish I could remember who the member was, I could credit them with the reminder and everyone could say "hell that member is epic, I wish I could be more like that guy".

I cannot remember who it was now...

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Here's a list of a few.

onereviewerinamillion.com...

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 04:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: RomaSempre
To a lesser extent you could say both Gladiator and Braveheart as the main characters don't make it through to the credits. I think someone also mentioned 300.

We discussed those, but Gladiator achieves what the protag wanted. He gets to see his wife again (in the afterlife) and he saves the Empire from Commodus in going to his great reward saving the Emperor's daughter and grandson along the way. So the good guys do win in bittersweet fashion.

Braveheart is in a similar vein although the hero sees the results of his death in a less obvious fashion.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 04:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: grey580
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

the hero is lobotomized .

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoo..........

I had forgotten about that.

I will now not star your next 20 starable posts...

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 04:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Cloverfield

Blair Witch Project

Again could they not be called anti heros though?

If the "hero" is the bad guy then he is supposed to loose. If everyone dies that is the way of things.

I am thinking smokey and the bandit and the bandit looses and everyone walks away dumbfounded.

Except one of the characters in Dogs was an undercover cop, so actually a good guy.

And Batman was considered a good guy during Dark Knight until the end when he had to actively take on the mantle of bad guy in order to achieve what needed to happen. At that point, he would be more the classic anti-hero.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 04:04 PM
link   

ty sir!

lol

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 04:07 PM
link   

unfortunately it is against terms and conditions to discuss ATS members,so this could really go no further

but i'm sure where ever this "Legend" / "Elder of the internet" / "Oracle" is..... he knows

he knows.....

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 04:07 PM
link   

In another thread a member claimed that there are only seven different plots to a movie and everything is just a variation on the seven themes.

This reminded me of an old conversation we used to have, name a movie in which the good guy does not win.

Moral victories can be argued.

I seem to remember that it was against the law in the US for a movie in which the bad guy wins to even be made until 1950 something.

We found a couple over the past 20 years but they are not easy to find.
i may have the title wrong. But i think its called miracle. Its about a home town hockey team playing the rangers on an outdoor rink. The good guys (home team) lost to the rangers.

Too me it was and is the best sports movie ever made.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join