It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Carrier Harry S. Truman Has Close Call With Iranian Rockets

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Does this not sit right with anyone else? 1500 yards from a US aircraft carrier?

The U.S. aircraft carrier USS Harry S. Truman came about 1,500 yards from an Iranian rocket in the Strait of Hormuz last week, two U.S. military officials told NBC News on Tuesday.

As the Truman was transiting the strait, which connects the Arabian Sea and the Persian Gulf, Iranian Revolutionary Guards conducted a live-fire exercise right near the U.S. carrier Saturday, officials said.

A U.S. military official said an Iranian navy fast and short attack craft began conducting a live-fire exercise at the same time the carrier was nearing the end of the strait, firing off several unguided rockets. A French frigate, the U.S. destroyer USS Buckley and other commercial traffic were also in the area.

www.nbcnews.com...

There was no communication. My thought is what if the US thought it was an actual attack and returned fire? Was this a gamble by Iran to provoke a reaction?

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Noted for future reference.In case one day Iranian rockets"Accidently"hit a U.S.warship.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 11:02 PM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

1500 yards is long off, i would worry about it. if they wanted to hit they would have

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 11:05 PM
link   
The US sailors:

"Oh look, they're seeing us off with fireworks!"

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 11:08 PM
link   
a reply to: DOCHOLIDAZE1

the average aircraft carrier is about 1100 feet...that is not that far out...
edit on 12pm31pmf0000002015-12-29T23:35:26-06:001126 by matafuchs because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 11:24 PM
link   
part of me wishes that they had fired back, but well.....that would have been rather messy I guess. but still, that one navy ship wasn't the only on in the area, there was at least on other navy ship plus a few merchant ships. they need to be more careful when they fire their missles, and well, firing back might have sent them a nice message to be more careful from now on...

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Depends on if they were firing towards the carrier, or away from it. If they were firing towards it, the boats that launched wouldn't be here anymore. That leads me to believe they were near her, when they fired, but they fired in a different direction, away from her.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Feet, not yards.

I'm surprised the CWIS didn't fire on it.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Over three thousand feet?

You're a tad bit off on that, I believe. It's just over a thousand ft. long, not three thousand.

FYI.

Fifteen hundred yards is the better part of a mile, or there 'bouts. Close, but not that close.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 11:31 PM
link   
a reply to: cmdrkeenkid

Probably had it set to manual. They tend to leave them set that way with SeaRAM mounted. One of our regulars posted about a test they did, with it set to auto, and as soon as the SeaRAM launched, CIWS killed it. Sounded like a pretty exciting test.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 11:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: matafuchs
a reply to: DOCHOLIDAZE1

the average aircraft carrier is about 1100 yards...that is not that far out...

You have yards confused with feet. The Nimitz-class carrier is 1092ft long. Also depending where this happened in the strait it wouldn't be unusual because part of the strait is Iran's territorial waters.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 11:36 PM
link   
You got me! I put in yards instead of feet. So sorry.

I just think in a tactical situation this is way to close.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 11:46 PM
link   

I'm sure the ships captain will agree with you. I venture to guess he was not amused. At all.

But ROE would have forbidden him to do anything about it. I think that those ROE's are being altered, or at least discussed...

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 11:48 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

If they're not fired in a direction that puts the ships in direct danger, there's not a lot they can do about it.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 11:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Nor should they. We don't want a fight, after all. Hopefully...

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 11:51 PM
link   
them Iranian better hope the US Phalanx gun system is not in auto mode.
www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...

en.wikipedia.org...
laststandonzombieisland.com...
edit on 29-12-2015 by ANNED because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 11:59 PM
link   
That is about a half a mile I think. I suppose they were doing it because they could.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 12:26 AM
link   
I'm was in favor of the Iran deal, though I thought we negotiated like pussies....... which is why this happened. I also hate war but Obama couldn't possibly project weakness harder while perpetuating war and making it worse himself. I worked as a merchant marine and that strait is probably the most lucrative to the US shipping industry, It's not a matter of where they fired the missile it's the lack of communication, it was a dick measuring contest, and they're winning. I'm in no way saying retaliate back but it's a symptom of our complete and utter futility in the middle east. I'm an independent voter in my 30's who has never voted republican, but did vote Obama the first time and it's a dumpster fire. I'll vote anybody over Hillary who also pulled of criminal # in my county to get voted in as a senator in NY.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 12:29 AM
link   
a reply to: EightTF3

Well said.

These sorts of things are a direct result of the perceived weakness of the sitting President.

The next one is going to be tested like no President ever has been...and he, or she, had better not be found wanting...or things are gonna get very interesting.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 01:01 AM
link   
The Strait of Hormuz is in very close proximity to Iran, and is a fairly narrow strait. So before we get all worked up into vilifying Iran, just remember we are literally in their back door when we pass through this strait. It would be like an Iranian warship passing between Florida and one of the Keys - you can bet we would be harassing them the entire time too. I did a couple deployments to the Gulf, at one time we did not send any carriers into the Gulf because of the narrowness of the strait, it made the carriers sitting ducks. So before everyone flames me, I'll just so that yes, the Iranians are being dicks and deliberately provoking us, but then again by sending a carrier a stone's throw away from their coast we are also provoking them. Tit for tat.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join